When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)?

Posted by: Cajuntec

When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 02/23/20 01:05 PM

I saw it was passed by the Senate, incorporating SB 12, which was the Universal Background Check piece. But what does that mean now? Is it immediately in effect since it passed, or does it have a start date in which the new procedures for a private sale will be put into place?

Google searches have produced more confusing results than answers. Does anyone have it in writing somewhere so I know what the current law is before I list a firearm for sale?

All the best,
Glenn
Posted by: Swinger

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 02/24/20 12:24 PM

Nothing is immediate. I'm sure they'll be shouting it from the rooftops when it becomes law, saying how much safer we all are now that UBCs have come to town......

More than likely, it'll become law July 1, so buy all you can now.
Posted by: jr45

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 02/24/20 12:56 PM

It's not law yet. Still has some procedural processes to go through (I don't know what they are but there are other similar bills being heard). Possibly/hopefully it's challenged if/when it becomes law.
Posted by: Fourth

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 02/24/20 04:13 PM

Normally, bills have to pass House and Senate, then conference committee to iron out differences, if any. Then to the governor for signature . Then , unless stated in the bill, July1 is the effective date. I think I’m right, but may be off a little. My wife says I am!
Posted by: FordBoy

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 02/24/20 06:09 PM

Yes, Most new laws will go into effect July 1, unless otherwise stated.
Posted by: MP3Mogul

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 02/27/20 06:09 PM

Fourth would be correct above
Posted by: Cajuntec

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 02/28/20 02:45 PM

Thanks all.
All the best,
Glenn
Posted by: str870s

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 05/09/20 01:30 PM

Hey all. Regarding the UBC bill/law, my understanding is that it applies to sales (Class 1 misdemeanor for both seller and buyer if no background check), but that it doesn't apply to trades or gifts? I haven't read through the legalese, but can anyone confirm?

If so, it sounds like Virginia Gun Trader gets emphasis on "trader," potentially with clever workarounds like those that have been used for raw dairy (which one cannot legally sell in VA) now for ages.
Posted by: nvcdl

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 05/09/20 02:31 PM

One could argue that it does not apply in Sanctuary counties....

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 05/09/20 03:21 PM

Interesting point about the sanctuary city/county consideration, though it has been my understanding that legally (and we're all hoping/trying to stay legal) the "Sanctuary City" designation is merely symbolic.

After taking a *slightly* closer at the legalese and some keyword searches, I don't see any exception made for non-sale transfers, but I haven't read word for word. It's kind of ridiculous to think that if my father-in-law and I want to give/loan/swap firearms, that we need to go to an FFL and pay a background check and transfer fee each time.
Posted by: Ratgun

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 05/09/20 03:24 PM

This is the best source I can find and what the expectation are...

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+SB70

When I hear "trade, gift, ect." it seems to be talking about family members as an exception to the staute. The VA code is vauge and gets pretty specific in the exceptions.

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 05/09/20 03:32 PM

Thanks, Ratgun.
Posted by: Larke62

Re: When does SB 70 take effect (Universal Background Checks)? - 05/15/20 05:35 PM

Thanks for this thread!