Muzzle loader Deer

Posted by: Va Hunter

Muzzle loader Deer - 11/10/18 01:39 PM

I have seen deer do stupid things during the rut but this one tops them all. I parked my 4 wheeler on the edge of my logging road about 125 yards from my stand over looking a food plot. About 7:00AM I looked down the logging road and there was a buck standing in the road looking at the 4 wheeler bobbing his head and stomping his feet. A 250gr Barnes bullet dropped him in his tracks. He was about 10 feet from the ATV when he dropped. Big body deer with a smallish 8 point rack. First pic is where he dropped.I have seen deer do stupid things during the rut but this one tops them all. I parked my 4 wheeler on the edge of my logging road about 125 yards from my stand over looking a food plot. About 7:00AM I looked down the logging road and there was a buck standing in the road looking at the 4 wheeler bobbing his head and stomping his feet. A 250gr Barnes bullet dropped him in his tracks. He was about 10 feet from the ATV when he dropped. Big body deer with a smallish 8 point rack. First pic is where he dropped.

Posted by: srwshooter

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/11/18 02:25 PM

I killed a bobcat last week sniffing my front atv tire. I think the cow manure drew him in.
Posted by: stockram

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/11/18 10:28 PM

That's a nice one. I like the Barnes bullets. I'm shooting 290gr tez but swapped the blue sabots for black harvester ones. They do very well. Here is one recovered from a deer this year.

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/13/18 10:23 AM

I'm shooting the 250gr tez. I recovered it from the off side shoulder and it had mushroomed perfectly and weighed 247.8 grs.
Posted by: OXN

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/13/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Va Hunter
I'm shooting the 250gr tez. I recovered it from the off side shoulder and it had mushroomed perfectly and weighed 247.8 grs.

Got any pics of that T-EZ you recovered? Thanks to all for the good word about ML terminal ballistics in this thread, and congrats on your deer.

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/13/18 06:47 PM

I'll try and get some pics of it up tomorrow. Mushroomed so pretty looked like it was molded that way.

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/14/18 11:07 AM

Here's the bullet

Posted by: stockram

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/15/18 12:34 PM

I cleaned mine up and weighed it and it was 288gr but I bet if I had the blue tip out of it then it would be its original 290gr weight. That 250grbyou posted has a much bigger hollow section inside. I might try those next.

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 11/26/18 07:23 PM

That looks like a Barnes advertisement. Thanks for posting, guys!
Posted by: the cwa

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 12/25/18 09:17 PM

Great story about dropping the buck right by the ATV, you can't make this stuff up!

I also appreciate the pics and performance reports about the Barnes bullets. I saw them in a store earlier this year and considered trying them. I'll have to pick some up now and play with them.

Re: Muzzle loader Deer - 12/30/18 09:25 PM

I can now add one to the list of reports on the effectiveness of Barnes ML bullets. Killed a doe yesterday from 135 yards out; Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail, and she went about ten feet before expiring. I really don't see why anyone uses anything other than copper monolithics, either in MLs or centerfire firearms, anymore.