Fake Morgan and Peace dollars

Posted by: DirtyJ

Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 11/25/17 03:52 PM

There’s been a bunch of fakes going around as of late. Attempted to purchase a full roll of Morgan dollars and a full roll of Peace dollars from a guy and he was trying to rush the deal, didn’t want to give me the time to look through the rolls, claimed he was in a big rush and had to leave(which could have been true). Upon further inspection I noticed a few coins from each roll that just didn’t seem right, I ran a magnet over all the coins and they passed, I did a sound check and 8 of the 40 coins didn’t have that silver sound. I got the scale out and weighed all of the coins, 7 of the 40 missed weight by almost 5 grams and 1 of the 40 missed weight by 11 grams. Upon pointing this out to the guy he got extremely defensive and claimed my scale is rigged. I then explained that silver has a distinct sound when slipped in the air or a stack of coins are dropped on one another, and these 8 coins lacked that. The offered to lower the price from $800 to $600 if I just take the deal. That really through up some red flags. I told him that I know some of the coins are fakes and that I would be reporting the incident to the police. He grabbed up his coins, got in his car and sped off.
Posted by: VaGunTrader

Re: Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 11/25/17 04:41 PM

where did this take place?
Posted by: Dadcpu

Re: Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 11/26/17 09:42 AM

Was he a member here???
Posted by: DirtyJ

Re: Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 11/26/17 10:56 AM

Not a member here that I know of and I met the guy through another friend in Chester.
Posted by: smartcar

Re: Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 12/22/17 10:58 PM

Well, did you give your friend "crap" about this???
Posted by: Rogpog

Re: Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 10/27/21 02:17 PM

Haha “hey this is spot value but I’d knock off 200 bucks if you just let me rip you off still”

That’s rich
Posted by: Sfach

Re: Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 10/27/21 03:22 PM

Nice. Was his name WYRed?
Posted by: hkprofection

Re: Fake Morgan and Peace dollars - 10/27/21 04:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Great to stay vigilant! Glad you didn’t get ripped off