Milling 80% AR Lowers

Posted by: p8riot

Milling 80% AR Lowers - 04/10/21 06:02 PM

Before I go out and buy one, I would like to know if there are any gunsmiths or machine shops in the Richmond area that will mill 80% AR lowers.
Posted by: ChrisC

Re: Milling 80% AR Lowers - 04/10/21 11:46 PM

As I recall, some folks got in trouble for this years back. You are supposed to do it yourself, without engaging a commercial entity or something because they effectively become a manufacturer. That said, there are folks on this board that have a tremendous amount of machining experience, and I am sure they can point you in the right direction while still keeping everything legal.
Posted by: Verylargeboots

Re: Milling 80% AR Lowers - 04/11/21 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: ChrisC
As I recall, some folks got in trouble for this years back. You are supposed to do it yourself, without engaging a commercial entity or something because they effectively become a manufacturer. That said, there are folks on this board that have a tremendous amount of machining experience, and I am sure they can point you in the right direction while still keeping everything legal.

You are absolutely correct sir. He must do it himself. If a machine shop did the work on his behalf, they become the manufacturer and they'll be putting themselves into some very hot water. If he does it with guidance, that's different, and legal.
Posted by: p8riot

Re: Milling 80% AR Lowers - 04/11/21 05:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a lot of hassle. Think I’ll pass.
Posted by: rromeo

Re: Milling 80% AR Lowers - 06/15/21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisC

I personally know someone that got in trouble for renting his mill out. He was selling the paperweights as well, which may have had something to do with it. But the ATF sent an undercover guy there, the undercover guy did all of the work while the guy I know was telling him what to do.
I guess what caused the problem was at the end, shop owner took it back and "cleaned it up".
Posted by: ChrisC

Re: Milling 80% AR Lowers - 06/16/21 11:09 AM

“I’m with the government, and I’m here to help”

Going after cartels is dirty and dangerous work, much easier to arrest American citizens for violating a technicality.