Do straight trades require a Background Check?

Posted by: toughtom12

Do straight trades require a Background Check? - 07/04/20 10:05 PM

If no money exchanges hands......And I want to trade my Gen 3 Glock 17 for your Gen 3 Glock 19? Do both get a NICS check or neither?
Posted by: ak66

Re: Do straight trades require a Background Check? - 07/04/20 11:52 PM

The way VCDL summarizes the new law is below. From what I get, pretty much anything of value received in return requires a trip to FFL or state police at a gunshow.

• SB70, HB2, Universal Background Checks

SUMMARY OF THE LAW AS PASSED:

Private sales, where a gun is sold in exchange for money, goods, services, or anything of value, must go through a background check effective July 1. A gun given as a gift with nothing in return, or loaned to someone, does not require a background check.
Posted by: nvcdl

Re: Do straight trades require a Background Check? - 07/05/20 05:28 PM

Impossible to enforce tho a BOS could be used against you.
Posted by: toughtom12

Re: Do straight trades require a Background Check? - 07/05/20 09:37 PM

Thanks guys! So if both are receiving something of value (both are getting a different gun), then we both have to get a background check!?!?! Unless we think like a lawyer would. I might have to just give my friend my Glock 17 as a gift. And then since he's so grateful for my generosity, he might decide to give me his Glock 19 as a gift. We are just law abiding buddies who like giving presents to each other with no strings attached.
Posted by: vic

Re: Do straight trades require a Background Check? - 07/06/20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: toughtom12
Thanks guys! So if both are receiving something of value (both are getting a different gun), then we both have to get a background check!?!?! Unless we think like a lawyer would. I might have to just give my friend my Glock 17 as a gift. And then since he's so grateful for my generosity, he might decide to give me his Glock 19 as a gift. We are just law abiding buddies who like giving presents to each other with no strings attached.

Treasure a friendship like that.
Posted by: ChrisC

Re: Do straight trades require a Background Check? - 07/06/20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: toughtom12

I like that. Now instead of WTS/WTT (want to sell/want to trade) we can list things WTG (want to give).