BEWARE: Fake Website Scamming Gun Buyers

Posted by: dana_bp

BEWARE: Fake Website Scamming Gun Buyers - 02/03/21 11:17 PM

So I was searching the internet tonight looking for a Maxim Defense PDX in 7.62x39 and the second search result was a site called safegunshop.com. I clicked on the link and they had the gun listed and it was actually on sale below retail and much cheaper than the going rate on gunbroker.com. Immediately a pop up window opened with a customer service rep (at 9pm) asking me if I needed help. I asked if the gun was in stock and they replied that it was. I added it to my cart and found they did not accept credit cards. They accepted Venmo, which concerned me so I googled the company and found this:

https://scam.directory/misc-delivery-scam/safegunshop-com/

Their research shows the website domain was a few months old and is registered overseas. There are several comments from buyers who were scammed.

Be careful!
Posted by: Tazguy04

Re: BEWARE: Fake Website Scamming Gun Buyers - 02/04/21 08:46 AM

thanks for posting the info, Stay safe people.
Posted by: Bcmgunfighter

Re: BEWARE: Fake Website Scamming Gun Buyers - 02/04/21 10:35 AM

Interesting... when I typed Maxim Defense PDX 7.62x39 I couldn’t even find said website. Half a dozen pages on google, and all were legitimate listings and reviews. Are you using a different search engine?

I resorted to Googling the, “Business.”
Super sketchy. The little bubble on the lower left that reads, “Pay instantly” says it all lol.
I also got a kick out of the lack of info that is typically found on legitimate sites, such as FFL stuff.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/gun-purchasing-scam

Thanks for posting.
Posted by: Newgunguy

Re: BEWARE: Fake Website Scamming Gun Buyers - 02/04/21 12:11 PM

Messing with their chat person now.

Charles.
Posted by: jr45

Re: BEWARE: Fake Website Scamming Gun Buyers - 02/05/21 09:24 AM

Though Venmo and BITCOIN reguests are the most common for these scam sites, some also will take credit cards (to steal the info).
Posted by: dana_bp

Re: BEWARE: Fake Website Scamming Gun Buyers - 02/07/21 06:31 PM

Interesting that the site didn’t come up. I just tried it again and it was the 4th one down using Safari on my iPhone.