Inherited firearms in VA ???

Posted by: hcrdnk

Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 02/28/22 07:31 AM

Searching the web for an answer but figured I'd ask around here... Does anyone know if inherited firearms are subject to the new transfer laws implemented for "private sales"? Asking for a friend. Any help or a point in the right direction towards up to date literature would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Posted by: 2APatriot

Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 02/28/22 08:14 AM

as far as I know yes you still do, but I haven't found evidence otherwise
Posted by: Va Hunter

Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 02/28/22 02:58 PM

They are not subject to transfer law as long as you have not paid or traded anything for them.
Posted by: 2APatriot

Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 03/12/22 04:30 PM

are you positive about that?
Posted by: a_s

Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 03/12/22 06:28 PM

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308.2:5/

A. No person shall sell a firearm for money, goods, services or anything else of value unless he has obtained verification from a licensed dealer in firearms that information on the prospective purchaser has been submitted for a criminal history record information check as set out in § 18.2-308.2:2 and that a determination has been received from the Department of State Police that the prospective purchaser is not prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm or such sale is specifically exempted by state or federal law. The Department of State Police shall provide a means by which sellers may obtain from designated licensed dealers the approval or denial of firearm transfer requests, based on criminal history record information checks.
Posted by: dragnhart

Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 03/14/22 03:41 PM

I was under the impression, if ownership changed, one would need to go through the transfer process (background check, etc). If the law ONLY states the above, then someone can "give" a firearm to anyone (as long as they are within knowledge they are not a felon).

I would suggest looking up VA law, calling an FFL, or even contacting the state police for guidance.
Posted by: Agent19

Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 03/15/22 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: dragnhart
I was under the impression, if ownership changed, one would need to go through the transfer process (background check, etc). If the law ONLY states the above, then someone can "give" a firearm to anyone (as long as they are within knowledge they are not a felon).

I would suggest looking up VA law, calling an FFL, or even contacting the state police for guidance.

"Gifting" with no good/services/$ exchanged is exempt from UBC.

The law posted above is clear,imho.
Posted by: Richards

Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? - 05/12/22 09:37 PM

This has been hashed out many times. The law is written pretty clear. Nothing of value is exchanged for the firearm then no background check.