Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard)

Posted by: Bullet41

Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard) - 05/01/23 06:34 PM

For those members that have boats, which (in your humble opinion) is better an inboard/outboard or outboard and why? I ask because I am thinking of getting a boat to mainly do freshwater with some brackish too, but would like to be able to hit the bays or take it with me on vacations to say Myrtle Beach, etc. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Posted by: GE_Minigun

Re: Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard) - 05/04/23 11:14 AM

The two happiest days in a boaters life...the day they buy and the day they sell it.
Posted by: dirtjumper895

Re: Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard) - 05/04/23 06:11 PM

I'm an outboard person. In my option, they are easier to swap (if upgrading to more HP, or major engine troubles occur), are self draining if used in freezing weather, and allow no hull leakage vulnerability.

Inboard/outboards are not self draining so you have to winterize the cooling system, and if the bellows fail, can allow water to leak past the drive into the hull.

What style hull are you looking for?
Posted by: P3Bill

Re: Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard) - 05/04/23 08:10 PM

With an outboard, you are not in danger of blowing yourself up when forgetting to purge the bilge.

Re: Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard) - 05/05/23 11:02 AM

I heard the saying, but there's still some fun between the two days.

@dirtjumper895 I am leaning toward a V-Hull, but haven't ruled out something like a Carolina Skiff or Boston Whaler.

@PEBIII That would be tragic.
Posted by: ChrisC

Re: Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard) - 05/06/23 10:18 PM

I’ve had both, outboard all day long. Not only are they self draining and easier to work on, they leave a great deal more room in the boat. The storage on those models that are configurable either way is impressive without the engine taking up room.

Re: Boat Motor Question (Inboard/Outboard or Outboard) - 05/07/23 09:36 AM

Thanks ChrisC