Fuel Prep

Posted by: Ali

Fuel Prep - 06/10/21 08:31 PM

I'm sure some of this has to do with people's living situation (apt/TH/SFH) but how are you guys setting up for Fuel Prep?

I've got a nato 5.xx gallon can (unfortunately with crap 10% ethanol but stabilizer in it). No smells, no leaks and I let it sit once for 3 years. Came out very yellow but worked ok.

Thought about getting multiple but figure if things got bad I could always siphon add'l from some of my motorcycles.

Admittedly did try the 55 gallon tank thing but that was sketchy in a townhouse garage and figured food/water preps didn't match the overkill 55 gallon thing so aborted that.

A.
Posted by: Verylargeboots

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/11/21 06:16 AM

Diesel. Buried tank. Hand crank pumps. Anti algae additive.

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/11/21 08:08 AM

Capacity and/or how much do you think makes sense to store per person/per vehicle?
Posted by: Verylargeboots

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/11/21 08:38 AM

First I think the question needs to be asked, what are you trying to do? Are you sheltering in place due to the world being on fire, are you planning to get up and run, are we going to eat popcorn and watch Teletubbies in our Spiderman pj's? What's the goal?
Posted by: ChrisC

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/11/21 01:41 PM

Keep five or six of the racing fuel tanks, they don’t have those stupid environmentally friendly spouts. I fill them up and rotate them in and out of the lawnmower, occasionally putting one in the truck if I need it. Don’t usually have more than two empty at a time, and I stabilize them over the winter. I figured that 30 gallons is enough to completely fill up either one of our vehicles, with some to spare. Can also use it in a portable generator of course.
Posted by: jr45

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/11/21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisC
Keep five or six of the racing fuel tanks, they don’t have those stupid environmentally friendly spouts. I fill them up and rotate them in and out of the lawnmower, occasionally putting one in the truck if I need it. Don’t usually have more than two empty at a time, and I stabilize them over the winter. I figured that 30 gallons is enough to completely fill up either one of our vehicles, with some to spare. Can also use it in a portable generator of course.

Same here. 25-30gals plus keep my cars at least half full at any given time. Even with stabilizer, I try to rotate them out every 6-8mo.

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/11/21 05:37 PM

I dabbled with some of the 5 gallons VP blue cans but the plastic spout and noticed stronger fuels like MR12 or C16 I could smell indoors so I figured pump gas would eventually stink up the single car garage.

Thought on quantity was primarily enough to run over to another state (NC, WV, etc. And 5 gallons can make it depending on vehicle used and pace riding/driving.

+1 on keeping car and truck 1/2 full as a "low".
Posted by: Jimmm

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/11/21 06:45 PM

Just don’t get those new epa spill-prone cans. They are horrible and leak mire than they fill. They are also impossible to use unless you’re a young weight lifter since you have to pick up 5 gallon of fluid one hand at odd angle with your other hand having to press two pressure switches at an even odder angle and at 135 degrees opposite direction of your lifting hand. The bonus is that the nozzle is useless so you can’t butter-finger shakingly into the vehicle’s gas tank opening. All because some donkeys need to make a presentation and dona dew free travels on taxpayers’ dimes. I have to buy used gas tank at yard sales just to steal old cap and pour setup.

And no pressure relief valve so you have a water bed effect and spill gas all over yourself and your car, damaging the paint, wheel, and tire.

Re: Fuel Prep - 06/12/21 07:01 AM

I've been sticking with the Nato metal type cans.