.22 shoot in Stafford

Posted by: Dale Schumacher

.22 shoot in Stafford - 04/29/13 05:22 PM

Saw a sign over the weekend in northern Stafford on a back road w/ a yellow sign saying ".22 shoot " on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month from 7:00 - 10:00 and Saturdays 7:00 to 10:00 Open to the public. Anyone know anything? Just a place to shoot or competitive shoot?

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/01/13 07:07 PM

No one knows? I guess I better check it out myself.
Posted by: Brooke Boy

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/01/13 07:16 PM

Let me know what you find out. I'm in Fredericksburg and may be interested in going.
Posted by: DCinDC

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/01/13 08:58 PM

Yep please let us know!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/03/13 07:21 PM

Will do
Posted by: UBETRUN

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/03/13 10:43 PM

I live on the west side of north Stafford and am very interested. If you let me know where you saw the sign, I'd be glad to check it out for all of us.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/04/13 06:18 PM

It is on Ramoth church Road about 2 miles west off of Rt 1 - on the right. I stopped by today and talked to the owner - nice guy.
Every second and fourth Friday night from 7:00 -10:00 they have a competitive shoot kind of like a Turkey shoot but w/ .22's. Friday nights are open to any type of .22 including scopes. Saturday's ( every Saturday including tonight ) are for stock guns only w/ open sites ( no peep sites or after market - stock only ). Prizes include money, slabs of bacon etc. Don't remember the buy in, but I think it depends on the prize. Anyway - there you go - hope to meet some of you in the next few weeks. There is a yellow sign that says .22 shoot - it is on the right and on a curve ( coming from rt 1 ).

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/04/13 09:54 PM

Thanks! See you guys there!
Posted by: ArmedRealtor

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/07/13 02:43 PM

Just to be clear... If you are turning off of Route 1 you would actually be turning on to American Legion Road which turns into Ramouth Church Road as you cross over 95. It runs into 630 near Winding Creek Road... So are you saying that it is roughly 2 miles in from route 1? Have you been yet? ...if so curious as to what the atmosphere was like.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/08/13 10:43 AM

Yes you are correct on directions.
Old site - guy raises hunting dogs on the place - 4 or 5 spots to shoot from a sitting area and I would guess 30 yards distance.
Owner said he gets more guys showing up during the Fall/Winter/Spring then during the summer because people have other things to do, but hopefully a few guys from here will prop that up a bit. I have never shot on site - only stopped by for a couple of minutes. They do have lights to shoot by when it starts getting dark.If you guys are anything like me open sites on Saturday night would be a bit difficult because I can't see both the sights and the target very well anymore. A buddy and myself will try and make it by there this Friday if he is feeling well.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/08/13 01:36 PM

A buddy and I are coming this Friday night also, bringing a couple of scoped 10-22s. Is the shooting from a bench rest, off hand, or ??

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/08/13 02:16 PM

Bench rest from what I saw

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/09/13 12:35 AM

A full report please smile I am very eager to know the distance, type of target as well as the quality of the shooters. I have never been to anything like that before but that won't be the case much longer..

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/09/13 08:02 PM

forecast says storms Friday night. frown

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/10/13 08:51 PM

My friend could not make it tonight and I had to prepare for a trip. Hopefully somebody went and can give a report.
Posted by: JackMcd

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/10/13 11:01 PM

My buddy and I just got back from the Stafford .22 gun shoot. What a blast! Well run, safe and friendly people. I will be going back quite often. These guys can shoot so practice up !

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/11/13 05:21 AM

Thanks for the report Jack... I hope to get down there in 2 weeks. What is the atmosphere like? My 9 year old daughter is turning out to be one hell of a shot. I would love to take her down there and show up a bunch of old men...lol. Do you use your own ammo or required to use theirs? Scopes? Peep sights? Were the rules any different than what was stated above in earlier posts?

This guy might be on to something ... Wonder how long this has been going on.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/14/13 12:55 PM

Yes, bring your daughter. There was 1 boy, 1 girl about her age competing last Friday night (one of which won 2 rounds and the money round at the end). It’s laid-back but a very safe atmosphere and a very friendly group.

2nd and 4th Friday nights @ 7pm of each month is scope only (any .22lr you want to bring w/ a scope). Every Saturday night, is stock guns, rifle sights only (no peep sights). Show up about an hour early (around 6ish) and they give you a handful of their ammo to dial in with (everyone uses their ammo). Whatever they can get ahold of in bulk is what they use. That’s why they give everyone an opportunity to dial in.

The price is $40 for 8 rounds of shooting. Everyone shoots a single shot at 2 targets. Or, you can pay $20 and shoot only 1 target. If you win a round, you get your money back. Second place in 4 of the 8 rounds, they gave away meat (pork chops, brats etc.). Also, if you pay an extra $5 beforehand, you can enter the “Money Round”. They take everyone who won one of the 8 previous rounds and let them compete for a cash prize at the end of the evening.

Lots of fun! Hope to see some of you guys there next time.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/29/13 02:10 PM

The Stafford .22 rifle shoots are now every Friday night.
Posted by: Bullseyelr

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/09/13 06:34 PM

Can anyone get an address? I am 2 minutes from winding creek rd and ramoth church rd off of 630. This is great since its in my back yard.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/09/13 11:39 PM

If anyone needs details or local directions, give me a call... 540-295-0809.
Posted by: ssgs

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/15/13 12:13 AM

I just returned from the stafford shoot and I had a great time. I didn't win but I had a great time anyway. I was one of 4 new shooters to this match, 2 of which were under 12. If you are considering or just interested in getting into 22 lr shooting matches this is for you. The match is run by a hunt club and is very safe and professional. A good bunch of guys too.

I think there were 4 female shooters and about 9 guys. Most everyone was shooting standard, off the shelf 22 rifles of all kinds. The bullets are provided for the match and sight in. The rounds used during the match and sight in are Remington Thunderbolt. The distance from rest to target is 20 yards. The bench used is more of a shelf than a bench though, it is 2 2x8 wide so it would be difficult to use anything more than a sandbag rest. You stand while you shoot but you only shoot twice, one shot each of two targets, so it goes by fast.

I hope to go back soon but it is a hump from Richmond. I would like to invite others from Richmond to go with me to the stafford match, gas ain't cheap in this full size truck of mine. If you are interested in going send me a PM. They have the match every Friday from 7 to 10 pm. It is more fun than sitting in front of the TV or computer!

Like Arnold said " I'll Be Back"

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/15/13 10:11 AM

In a word... WOW! My kids and I (ages 9 & 6) attended for the first time last night. Upon arriving I was greeted by Charlie who explained everything in detail yet simple enough that an idiot like myself could understand. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel welcomed and went out of their way to make sure we understood the event and additional offerings. 8 rounds of shooting (2 targets/bullets per round) for $45 and if you win at least one round, you shoot in the bonus round you pay for in advance. My son did the even numbered events for half the price.

The shoot is not at a residence but at the Accokeek Hunt Club located off of a gravel road behind a locked gate. The sign would only be out when there is a shoot going on which would explain why I had never seen it on any of my recon trips. They now have a shoot EVERY Friday night through the end of September. Due to low turnout they are no longer doing the open sight shoot on Saturday night at least until fall. This plan is subject to change though... they may do 2nd and 4th Friday nights and 1st and 3rd Saturday nights giving everyone who wants to attend a chance to.

No need to eat on the fly trying to get there in Friday rush hour traffic, they have a kitchen and by all accounts have some really good food. Prices are reasonable ($2 hamburger, $1 hot dog, french fries or chicken nuggets). They also have bottled water and soda for sale. Alcohol is consumed but in moderation so feel free to bring some if that is your beverage of choice. There were no drunk or disorderly people and everything was very safe.

The distance is 20 yards, I had been practicing for this event at 35 yards so my winning ways stayed at home. They will give you 10 bullets to sight in with before the event starts. Last night the house rounds were Remington Thunderbolts. Charlie said that he had enough bullets to use for the next couple of weeks and then would be switching to a Federal Match Grade ammo that he was able to obtain. As someone else said in this thread, the shooters are really good so bring your money and your A game. The star shooter and house favorite is a 10 year old girl named Abby. This is not a gender specific event, there are men, women (attractive) and kids all shooting.

When walking through the shooting area please be cognoscente of the fact that even as sturdy as it is built, it still moves enough to throw off a shot when you move. I didn't even think of this until I was reminded and it will throw shots off. I learned quickly when to walk and when to be still to be fair to all participants.

I HIGHLY recommend this event and will be going back often. My 9 year old used to want to sing karaoke on Friday nights, now she wants to head to the .22 shoot.
Posted by: VAMan

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/18/13 12:08 AM

I'm thinking I may have to check this out even though it's quite a drive for me. I saw above where he said most people were shooting out of the box rifles. Can you shoot anything? I'm just wondering if I'd be better to bring my target rifle or just a regular out of the box .22.
Posted by: ssgs

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/18/13 07:35 AM

You can bring any 22 rifle but you have to shoot the remington thunderbolt ammunition. Also remember you have little bench area. Most of the winners have been shooting CZ rifles.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/18/13 01:34 PM

Keep in mind that It's not always remington thunderbolt ammo. They get ammo in bulk and try to use it up as they get it. Some weeks we use better ammo than other weeks. Also, I compete with a CZ and a Ruger 10/22. My 10/22 likes the Rem. Thunderbolt better than my CZ.
Posted by: wingboneman

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/18/13 09:55 PM

Going over soon to check it out..

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/19/13 11:42 AM

the weather looks good for this Friday. Hope to see some of you guys there.
Posted by: Fred

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/19/13 09:43 PM

They doing scopes ONLY or are open sights OK?
Posted by: LaserJock

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/20/13 06:30 PM

Can I BYOammo? or only what is supplied?

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/21/13 09:37 AM

Scopes only. And, everyone shoots their ammo.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/21/13 11:34 PM

I had a lot of fun! great to meet some of you guys.

The hunt club is nice, the food is good, the other shooters are GREAT, and the club range is nice too!

Attached is my best target which is 4.5" across the outside ring.
This was not good enough, there were 3 better shots than this in this one round. Didja get that? That was my best shot, and there were 3 better shots than mine in just that one round! And Abby wasn't even there! But her Dad was, and he is a great shot too.

Now I know what I need to work on, and will hopefully do better next time!

A highly recommended outing!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/25/13 09:41 PM

Hope to see more VAGT members there this Friday. It's a blast!!!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/26/13 05:37 PM

Jack
I did not see your PM's till yesterday - not on here that much.
My friend Terry and myself hope to be their this Friday if he is feeling well. We will be viewing only this week just to check out the action ( never been to this type of shoot or have the right gun to be competitive ). Looking forward to it

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 06/26/13 07:42 PM

Sounds good. See you there. If you decide to shoot, you can use one of my guns. I usually bring 2 or 3.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 07/10/13 05:08 PM

Hope to see some members out there this Friday !!! If anyone needs directions, PM me.
Posted by: dschflier

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/01/13 02:18 AM

Very nice find. I hope to be there in a couple of weeks. From the looks of it I dont think I will be winning any prizes but I am sure I will love it. I think you guys said the kids were around 9 years old. Any younger children? My son is 7 and my daughter 5.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/02/13 12:38 PM

There is one guy that comes sometimes with some younger kids (5 - 7 years old). hope to see you there soon.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/02/13 03:44 PM

I've been getting my Marlin 60 ready. I sighted in the scope last week.
Posted by: Blk97f150

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/02/13 07:19 PM

Nice. Is that a Boyds stock?

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/03/13 01:27 PM

Well Boyd's probably made it for Marlin, but it came original on a gun from Marlin, not from Boyd's. But not this gun. This one came with the green laminate stock.

Actually I will probably not use this Marlin 60. I've recently put new scopes on my 795, and my 980S. The 980S is the one I shot last time I went to this shoot. I'll focus on that one.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/06/13 08:54 PM

Hey DC... hope to see you there this week.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/10/13 06:19 PM

As always, it's all about the scratch and time.

I had neither this week.

I have been preparing and am looking forward to it, just need to get my ducks in a row.

Any word from anyone who went this week? Let us live thru your experiences!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/11/13 12:21 AM

It was hot and humid last night but no rain. I think there were 9 or 10 shooters and we were finished by about 9:30pm. The club switched to match ammo which should be interesting over the next few events. I didn't win any rounds but still had a great time, just a super group of people.
Posted by: AKSpraya

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/15/13 09:47 AM

Any chance in the future to maybe have another match(another $45 entty fee) where targets are 50+ yards (100-200yrds would be cool) away I seen the thread and thought a 22 shoot would be cool but then was turned off by the 20yard shooting distance

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/15/13 12:48 PM

I don't think they have the distance/land for that. The targets are tiny, like 4" across. That's like shooting a regular target at 100 yds.

A scope with adjustable objective down to 15-20 yards is a damn good idea at this event.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/16/13 09:12 AM

I just became an Associate member there a few weeks ago. During last month’s meeting, there was talk about building a 50 and 100 yard range this fall.

I’ll tell you this regarding the current 22 yard matches there… it’s not as easy as it sounds. The bulls-eye is smaller than a pencil eraser (almost the same diameter as the .22 round). DCinDC will tell you, it’s pretty competitive there. We would like to see more people come try it out. Hope to see some of you there. The weather looks good for tonight.

If anyone wants more information or directions, feel free to give me a call… (540)295-0809

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/16/13 11:19 AM

My 10-22T will shoot under 1/2" at 50 yards but I don't win very often at 22 yards, it's a HECK of a lot harder than one would assume...

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 08/27/13 08:35 AM

The weather will be perfect this Friday. Let's see some members out there this week!!!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 09/04/13 11:28 AM

The weather will be perfect this Friday. Let's see some members out there this week!!!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 09/12/13 12:10 PM

Posted by: g-shooter

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 09/12/13 12:21 PM

Where in Stafford?

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 09/12/13 08:22 PM

North Stafford. On Ramoth Church Rd.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 09/25/13 12:18 PM

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 10/11/13 11:36 AM

We shoot every Friday, year-round rain or shine !!!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 10/22/13 06:23 PM

C'mon locals. The is a great time!!! If you live in NoVA and own a scoped .22 rifle of any kind, you are doing yourself a disservice by not coming by and trying this out. Or, go hit RedBox, rent some movies... you couch potatoes.

Let's see some people shoot!!! If you want to swing by to see if you like it, you are more than welcome to use one of my rifles ( i bring several). PM me for directions / details.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 11/21/13 10:20 AM

.22 SHOOT TONIGHT !!!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 12/26/13 03:25 PM

We will be shooting this Friday !!! 6pm.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 01/02/14 12:38 PM

Starting this Friday, the .22 shoot will take place every Friday night.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 12/04/17 07:39 PM

I haven’t been to the .22 shoot in a few years now, do they still hold it on Friday nights? The last I heard they changed up several of the rules, one of which was making a 3 x 9 the most powerful scope you could use, that knocked my BSA 6 x 18 x 40 Sweet 22’s out. I never reequiped my good shooters with a scope they would allow and then the event just went out of mind. I would like to start going again if they are still having an event, it was always a good time. If memory serves they also starting having open sights nights on Saturday which would be of some interest to me if they have that as well. Any updates and info anyone could pass along would be appreciated. I don’t want to fight the Friday night traffic down from Woodbridge only to get there to find a dark, empty building. Merry Christmas everyone!

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 02/22/18 12:23 AM

The scream of crickets...

I guess nobody goes to the .22 shoot anymore.

Oh well...

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 02/23/18 07:38 AM

I am also interested in shooting there again IF the rules are back to something reasonable.

Re: .22 shoot in Stafford - 05/10/18 01:17 AM

I just found the new rules on their Facebook page today from a January post.

Accakeek .22 Turkey Shoots are starting back up! This Friday 1-12-2018. Shoots will be every Friday night. Practice Beings @ 6pm and the Shoot starts @ 7:00. Cheap, Family Fun entertainment for a Friday night at $3 a card or $5 for two. Both Meat and Money Prizes to be won. Concessions available on site!

Rules to know:
* .22 Has to be Stock - No bull barrels allowed
* No Larger than 3×9 - 40mm scopes can be used
* Must shoot house ammo
* Additional Rules Posted at Event

We will shoot every Friday night unless otherwise posted.
We can't wait to see everybody come out. Please share, share, and share again! Any Additional Questions Please Contact Charlie Swidrak @ (540) 295-9601