Trout fishing

Posted by: troutnut

Trout fishing - 02/13/16 10:14 AM

Figured I'd change it up a bit. I know some of the members here fish , been kinda getting cabin fever the last few weeks. Me and several friends have hit the streams and lakes in Va and Wva the past several days. Here's a couple pictures. Btw the second picture is a buddy of mine 6lb 5oz Rainbow
Posted by: boltactionfan

Re: Trout fishing - 02/14/16 02:42 AM

Nice fish you guys caught. Looks warm laugh
Posted by: COUNTRY

Re: Trout fishing - 03/04/16 08:35 PM

Nice Catch Troutnut.

What a great way to start the year.

Keep the pictures coming.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/05/16 12:47 PM

Another limit, this time mainly Browns with one rainbow mixed in. Caught on an area stream this morning before work.
Posted by: Puddle Jumper

Re: Trout fishing - 03/06/16 05:02 AM

Very nice...!

Re: Trout fishing - 03/06/16 04:13 PM

Now the end result of some of the fishing trips, trout fillets in corn meal and beer batter.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/06/16 05:24 PM

Man those look good, I can bring some more beer, are they still hot...? laugh
Posted by: RALLEN

Re: Trout fishing - 03/07/16 07:06 PM

Awesome.
Posted by: LaserJock

Re: Trout fishing - 03/07/16 07:55 PM

troutnut lives a good life.

More pics please

Re: Trout fishing - 03/07/16 08:21 PM

Not quite the stringer of Mr. Trout, but they will be tasty..... smile

Re: Trout fishing - 03/07/16 09:52 PM

Nice Brookies , my favorite to catch and eat!
Posted by: RALLEN

Re: Trout fishing - 03/08/16 04:41 PM

Trout - we should trade some goose hunts for some trout fishing laugh

Re: Trout fishing - 03/08/16 05:52 PM

Rallen that sounds like a plan to me. 3 of us fished Wva today, caught around 40 total. We kept 6 brook trout each. Fishing the South Branch of the Potomac in Pendleton County. Below is a picture of part of the stream and then the fish kept. Btw for all you NOVA guys this is the same river that goes through DC , just a bit smaller and cleaner.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/10/16 06:15 PM

Another great trip today, 4 of us fished Jackson river Hidden Valley area . We caught about 50 total had one rainbow around 24" 5.5lbs which was released so someone else can have fun. Btw all you turkey hunters they were gobbling this morning.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/16/16 10:40 PM

Did a little better today at Hone Quarry....!

Re: Trout fishing - 03/16/16 10:45 PM

Nice trout, dinner almost served .

Re: Trout fishing - 03/16/16 10:47 PM

In a gallon freezer bag with water to cover, saved for winter....
Posted by: draco9936

Re: Trout fishing - 03/21/16 09:44 AM

That is fantastic,had no idea trout were in the waters around here...now you guys got me looking.Tasty.nice tip with water in freezer,do you gut first or whole freeze?

Re: Trout fishing - 03/21/16 07:43 PM

Another good day on the water. 3 of us fished Greenbrier river near Durbin Wva. Caught around 40 total, mostly Rainbow but a couple nice brook trout. Both brook trout in the pictures are 21 "one is 4 1/4 the other 4 1/2 lbs. Guy in the pic is the son of a co worker of mine , first decent trout he's caught.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/21/16 07:45 PM

Draco, as far as freezing fish you would clean them first including all guts. Freezing in water or vacuum seal works well too.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/21/16 08:46 PM

Totally agree with trounut, gut em, cut the head off, clean em up some, and put 2 or 3 fish in a gallon zip lock bag, fill with water till the fish are covered, sit very carefully, upright in the freezer, less water makes it easier to thaw out and eat......
Posted by: Top_Gun12245

Re: Trout fishing - 03/22/16 10:28 PM

Nice fish! Btw that pic of the beer battered fillets makes my hunger even worse after seeing them. Haha

Re: Trout fishing - 03/25/16 02:31 AM

4 of us fished the Smokeholes section of Wva today. Caught and released about 100 and kept 6 each. Saw a few eagles and a gobbler in full strut. All in all a pretty good day.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/25/16 02:45 AM

Anyone catching any crappie or bass yet ?

Re: Trout fishing - 03/25/16 10:45 AM

I was trout fishing and using a wax worm on white egg and caught a perch...... laugh
Needless to say I threw him back smile

My dad went to Elkhorn on Wednesday slayed 6 of em, went back on Thursday and never got a bite, go figure..

Re: Trout fishing - 03/26/16 09:20 PM

Not trout pics but some crappie a buddy and his son got into on an area pond today.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/26/16 09:22 PM

OMG, nice mess of papermouths

Re: Trout fishing - 03/30/16 05:07 PM

Fished Smokeholes section of Wva today. 3 of us caught about 35 total. Too windy for decent fishing though. Did bring home dinner at least.

Re: Trout fishing - 03/30/16 08:18 PM

Hey trout.....Do you charge for teaching lessons laugh

Re: Trout fishing - 03/30/16 08:21 PM

Haha no they're free. Just been fishing some decent spots lately.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/05/16 12:07 PM

Fished Swift Run in Green Co today. Had one 22 " rainbow the rest were decent Brook trout.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/05/16 05:44 PM

A rusty stringer, now that's a real fisherman, nice job.....oh and you were right.! Thanks again

Re: Trout fishing - 04/05/16 08:27 PM

Yeah that stringer has seen it's share of fish.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/08/16 08:23 PM

Fished Wva again today, too windy for decent fishing. Did catch 4 gold trout and heard some turkeys early this morning. I know I'm not the only one fishing, post up some pics. Bass , crappie, catfish or stripers I just like to see em.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/08/16 09:59 PM

Had a hen clucking in the front yard, and a gobbler talking back, early this morning. Did not see him, but got her on video smile
Nice stringer there trout, once again, you the man...!

Re: Trout fishing - 04/12/16 06:57 PM

Quick trip this morning, then yard work. Btw trout fillets are great on the smoker , and since I was using the smoker may as well do a deer ham.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/12/16 07:30 PM

That's just not right......I am telling a MOD.....! laugh

Re: Trout fishing - 04/14/16 02:43 PM

I went to Rockbridge Co today, fished South River. Pile of fish in the stream, caught about 50 total. Everything was on Joe Flys and Trout Magnets. Beautiful day to be out. Btw I only kept 6.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/23/16 07:34 PM

Wva trip for a week. 5 of us fished cranberry river today. Saw a bear, several gobblers. Lost count on the trout we caught. We all kept a 6 fish limit.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/23/16 07:43 PM

Of course no Wva spring trip is complete without a mess of Ramps.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/24/16 03:45 PM

Another good day on the Cranberry River.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/25/16 08:01 PM

Fished cranberry and cherry rivers today and did real well.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/25/16 08:57 PM

Nice sink full....!

Re: Trout fishing - 04/28/16 02:12 PM

Lot of rain overnight, river came up about a foot and a half. Still a good day of fishing.

Re: Trout fishing - 04/29/16 04:43 PM

The trusty rusty good ole stringer....does it again laugh

Re: Trout fishing - 04/29/16 08:29 PM

Last day of the trip. Had a great time and caught lots of trout.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/08/16 08:07 PM

Haven't been out lately because of the rain . Hope to have some more pics tomorrow or at least sometime this week.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/11/16 08:24 PM

Finally got back out fishing. Hit a small stream nearby and caught 6 brook trout.
Posted by: v8unleashed

Re: Trout fishing - 05/11/16 09:08 PM

Is there any meat in your diet except for trout?

Re: Trout fishing - 05/11/16 09:54 PM

Haha yeah I eat other things also . I give away quite a few trout, just something I enjoy doing and they just happen to taste good.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/11/16 10:11 PM

Went out to Elkhorn this evening, caught 3 real nice size rainbows, only rained once....lol

Heard a guy caught a 9lbs rainbow earlier today, 22 inches long, not sure how they figured 9lbs, maybe they had a hanging scale, I did not see it, but several people told me about it.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/12/16 09:24 PM

Caught 6 at North River today, lost one about 7-8 lbs.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/12/16 09:43 PM

WHAT.....! a new stringer......say it ain't so laugh

Re: Trout fishing - 05/12/16 10:05 PM

Found it the other day , figured I'd change it up a bit . Old reliable is still in the truck.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/13/16 03:29 PM

Hit North River today with a friend of mine. Pretty good day ,probably 30 fish total . Big fish of the day was a 3lb 2oz Brook.
Posted by: dirtjumper895

Re: Trout fishing - 05/16/16 04:16 AM

Wow! Those are some good looking fish!

Re: Trout fishing - 05/16/16 07:46 AM

Thanks, lot of fun to catch. More fun in the skillet or on the smoker.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/16/16 05:23 PM

Went to Elkhorn this morning and had me some "troutnut luck", great morning on the lake edge.

PS....... I love vacation...!

Re: Trout fishing - 05/16/16 06:28 PM

Good job , looks like you're enjoying your vacation.
Posted by: spotshuntclub

Re: Trout fishing - 05/16/16 06:33 PM

you guys are killing me

Re: Trout fishing - 05/17/16 03:36 AM

You make it up this way I will put you on some fish.
Posted by: spotshuntclub

Re: Trout fishing - 05/17/16 05:52 PM

may be coming on memorial day weekend

Re: Trout fishing - 05/17/16 08:48 PM

3 nice Brook trout my friends son caught on Saturday. They had a "kids day "on Bullpasture near Williamsville. He took first place for longest trout at 20" . Pretty cool for a 4 year old.

Re: Trout fishing - 05/17/16 09:00 PM

Very nice..!

Re: Trout fishing - 05/20/16 02:04 AM

Fished Smokeholes section of Wva today. Caught some nice browns and rainbows.

Re: Trout fishing - 08/16/16 06:30 PM

Just a bump to keep the thread active.
Posted by: graybeard

Re: Trout fishing - 10/02/16 12:51 PM

You fishing the Swift run/South River area, isn't that near Dogwood Valley? I got a lot up there, been in the family since '69. I used to hunt that part of the Rapidan WMA on the next mountain. Haven't been there since I got hurt...sucks, but I'm glad to see the fish still jumpin' in those waterholes!
Nice fishing ya'll are doing!
Posted by: Travis#

Re: Trout fishing - 10/02/16 09:19 PM

Here's dinner we had one night after taking my girls fishing in Bath County about 3 weeks ago. They were caught on private property.

Re: Trout fishing - 10/02/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: graybeard
You fishing the Swift run/South River area, isn't that near Dogwood Valley? I got a lot up there, been in the family since '69. I used to hunt that part of the Rapidan WMA on the next mountain. Haven't been there since I got hurt...sucks, but I'm glad to see the fish still jumpin' in those waterholes!
Nice fishing ya'll are doing!
Yeah Gray beard some of the fish are out of South River/Swift run in the Green Co area. One of the closest streams to my house. We fish all over the state and most of eastern WV also.

Re: Trout fishing - 10/02/16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Marley
Here's dinner we had one night after taking my girls fishing in Bath County about 3 weeks ago. They were caught on private property.
Nice Marley, dinner was served. Pretty area out in Bath Co.

Re: Trout fishing - 10/03/16 07:43 AM

Thanks Troutnut I grew up there now I just get to visit a few times a year. I can't wait until November I will be up there most of the month hunting and troutfishing. We mostly fish the old lower cascades golf course and the Jackson river below the damn.

Re: Trout fishing - 10/03/16 09:09 AM

We fish mainly the Bull pasture and Jackson River Hidden Valley area, as far as Bath Co goes. Used to fly fish the special regs section below the dam. Caught a lot of nice Trout in that area.

Re: Trout fishing - 10/03/16 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: troutnut
We fish mainly the Bull pasture and Jackson River Hidden Valley area, as far as Bath Co goes. Used to fly fish the special regs section below the dam. Caught a lot of nice Trout in that area.

I grew up on the backside of Cobbler Mountain. The mountain to the right of the river going along the fields from Hidden Valley towards the Poor Farm. I had some good times in there before and after it became 1 hook artificial bait past the swinging bridge above Muddy Run.
That is a beautiful area and have many a fond memories of hunting and fishing that area. My grandfather was the care taker for Hidden Valley when it was a working farm in the 30's or 40's. Then my father became the game biologist with the D.I.G.F back when it was the Game Dept. I don't think there are very many streams and national forest that I haven't hunted up there. And I plan on retiring and building a small shack on the backside of Cobbler in about 15 more years the good Lord willing.

Re: Trout fishing - 10/04/16 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Marley

I grew up on the backside of Cobbler Mountain. The mountain to the right of the river going along the fields from Hidden Valley towards the Poor Farm. I had some good times in there before and after it became 1 hook artificial bait past the swinging bridge above Muddy Run.
That is a beautiful area and have many a fond memories of hunting and fishing that area. My grandfather was the care taker for Hidden Valley when it was a working farm in the 30's or 40's. Then my father became the game biologist with the D.I.G.F back when it was the Game Dept. I don't think there are very many streams and national forest that I haven't hunted up there. And I plan on retiring and building a small shack on the backside of Cobbler in about 15 more years the good Lord willing.
Couldn't think of a much better place to be . ..Well maybe Wva but that's debatable. Either way great location.