Private sales and shipping intrastate

Posted by: izymic

Private sales and shipping intrastate - 06/30/17 01:26 PM

How about an FAQ on what's involved in legally shipping in-state to a buyer?

ATF FAQ states that it is legal to ship to a non-licensee who is a resident of the same state. This applies to private sales.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

I'm in Fairfax, and see plenty of guns I'd like to get that are in the far corners of the state -- too far to drive.

The main issues I see are proof of ID etc but that could be dealt with by requiring the Bill of Sale be notarized by the buyer (must show proof of ID to the notary).

I have looked and do not see any Virginia laws dealing with this at all.
Posted by: rromeo

Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate - 07/05/17 07:23 PM

It is legal. What's involved is that you need to use the post office, because UPS and Fed Ex will only ship to an FFL.
Posted by: izymic

Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate - 07/06/17 11:19 AM

Thanks, I figured that. I'm annoyed because it seems to be a well-kept secret and even GunBroker's shipping/sales info doesn't refer to it. In fact, they specifically state that ALL guns must be shipped to an FFL.
Posted by: BigDogDaddy

Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate - 07/13/17 07:31 AM

Keep in mind you can only ship rifles and shotguns within state using the USPS, when shipping to a private party. Handguns have to go thru an FFL.

Look in the ATF article that you opened. It states "a common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun". That would be UPS/Fed-X.

Laws change all the time, but I believe this is currently correct.
Posted by: rromeo

Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate - 07/15/17 10:57 AM

Yes, so while it is technically legal to ship a handgun in state without an FFL, it is impossible due to UPS and Fed Ex regulations