Requirements for private range

Posted by: Freedom1973

Requirements for private range - 06/26/19 11:03 AM

Good morning,
I've searched around looking for anything that applies to private shooting range on private property. I have recently moved to rural Fauquier County. I found the 100 yards distance from occupied buildings, basement ranges, inside dwellings. Nothing on requirements for backstops or anything else. Anyone have a direction to point me? I will be talking to the town about other issues but wanted to have my ducks in a row legally. Thank you in advance.

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/02/19 07:32 PM

....?
Posted by: Agent19

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/03/19 07:57 AM

https://library.municode.com/va/fauquier...5OFIS_ARTIIFIHU

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/local-ordinances.pdf

some counties will use DGIF to pass laws they can't
Posted by: v8unleashed

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/03/19 10:45 PM

I don't know of anything other than the 100 yard requirement. And it doesn't apply if you get written consent. We have neighbors blasting off on at least a weekly basis, where I am.
Posted by: Execprotect

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/04/19 05:48 PM

I live in Fauquier, the southern end. The county was once a place for freedom lovers (we even have a village called "The Free State") but as the progressives from the northeast have moved into our county the sherrifs office is receiving a lot more calls from neighbors about noise complaints. The deputy's are all cool and know you are free to shoot as long as you are doing so safely but it's annoying that someone calls them in the first place. The main rule to follow is that the bullet must be contained on your property; just because your house backs up to a wooded farm you cannot just set up targets and allow the bullets to travel one someone else's land, no matter how uninhabitabed it may be. Just build a good backstop and be respectful of the times you shoot. The deputy's could care less if you are shooting 20' from your back door into a berm as long as you are being safe.
Posted by: nvcdl

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/04/19 10:15 PM

When I was looking at rural properties I noticed Fauquier's property taxes were crazy high compared to neighboring counties.

Heard of a couple cases recently in which Fauquier's sheriff dept. arrested a couple different people for firing guns to intimidate tresspasers - belive they were charged with brandishing.
Posted by: Execprotect

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/06/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: nvcdl
When I was looking at rural properties I noticed Fauquier's property taxes were crazy high compared to neighboring counties.

Heard of a couple cases recently in which Fauquier's sheriff dept. arrested a couple different people for firing guns to intimidate tresspasers - belive they were charged with brandishing.

The taxes are extremely high. Mostly due to the fact it is a bed room community and their are few large businesses/ no industry. Its horse country, and most of the people from the northern end are staunchly anti growth. I am not familiar with the cases of people shooting to intimidate trespassers and subsequent arrest.

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/16/19 09:50 PM

Thanks for the responses.
I have a 30 ft hillside for a backstop and will be building a serious bullet stop. I have suppressors and will be using them. I will be keeping everything on my property and trying to be courteous to my neighbors. The guy down the road shoots every weekend I just haven't located him yet to make friends.
Posted by: nvcdl

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/17/19 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Execprotect
Originally Posted By: nvcdl

The taxes are extremely high. Mostly due to the fact it is a bed room community and their are few large businesses/ no industry. Its horse country, and most of the people from the northern end are staunchly anti growth. I am not familiar with the cases of people shooting to intimidate trespassers and subsequent arrest.

Alleged Fanquier Brandishing Incidents
Posted by: rromeo

Re: Requirements for private range - 07/17/19 07:35 PM

Do not fire warning shots. I can't think of a place where that won't get you arrested.
Posted by: the cwa

Re: Requirements for private range - 09/08/19 04:45 AM

A few years ago I was given permission to hunt on a piece of undeveloped property in what is a neighborhood. All the properties are a minimum of 5 acres, so I called the local police and sheriff's dept to find out the legality of shooting. I was told that there are no specific laws regarding discharging a firearm in the county, they default to whatever the hunting regulations are, so that is what I followed.

I suggest calling the police and/or sheriff's dept for your county.

After that, it falls to common sense safety practices and being willing to deal with complaints from neighbors, if there are any.