Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell?

Posted by: Prudenciow

Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 11/12/19 03:33 PM

Haven't sold a gun in a years. I used to ask for a CHP, and voters registration, plus filling out a bill of sale. Short of a background check thru VSP or FFL. I heard that a voter registration is not longer as useful since some felons can vote. Any guidance would be appreciated. I looked around the page and didn't find much.
Posted by: IrishIII

Re: Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 11/12/19 03:42 PM

CHP and identification card. If that doesn’t work drag em to an FFL. Hope that helps Use your best judgment
Posted by: Agent19

Re: Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 11/12/19 03:48 PM

None of that is required under current law.
Posted by: Prudenciow

Re: Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 11/12/19 04:39 PM

Thank you!
Posted by: HeavyAssault

Re: Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 01/21/20 10:46 AM

What VA law restricts private sales of handguns?? Is there a reason no one would accept a valid CCP from an out of state buyer??
Posted by: Newgunguy

Re: Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 01/21/20 11:06 AM

If you would sell a handgun to someone not from this state in a private sale you are part of the problem and shouldn't even be on here! Nobody, and I mean nobody except criminals sell firearms to out of state residents without using an FFL. Even with that handguns will still have to go through an FFL in the buyers home state.

Charles.
Posted by: MrRadioActive

Re: Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 01/25/20 05:33 PM

Posted by: timVA

Re: Besides a background check. What documents to ask for during a private sell? - 01/26/20 10:21 PM

The out-of-state transfer prohibition is federal, not state. Selling privately to an out-of-state buyer (or vice versa) is a federal felony.

Via the ATF:

How may an unlicensed person receive a firearm in his or her State that he or she purchased from an out–of–State source?

An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]