Load Development

Posted by: Va Hunter

Load Development - 07/11/21 09:16 AM

After not being able to find-or willing to pay the outrageous prices for a good recommended powder for my T/C Compass in 7mm magnum I decided to try a different approach. I got out my Sierra manual and went down the list and the first powder I came to that I had was IMR 4064. So I picked out a moderate load and loaded 3 rounds. Results were surprising. I ended up with a .5 group. Thinking it was just a fluke I loaded 3 more rounds and tried again the next day with the same results. One more three shot group proved I had a winner. Not bad for a $250 gun with a crappy trigger. It also makes it nice to have my shooting bench exactly 39 yards from my front porch. Just goes to show a blind hog will find a acorn now and then.

Posted by: vic

Re: Load Development - 07/11/21 02:44 PM

It's not the ideal powder for a 7 mag, but you're making holes. And close together at that.

I came up with a load for a .30-06 using IMR4895, load runs about even with a .308, but it tends to put the holes real close together.

To date, not one deer has complained about the load being 200 fps slower than a full-throttle load with the optimum powder.
Posted by: Va Hunter

Re: Load Development - 07/11/21 04:08 PM

I’m running right at 3100 FPS with a 139 grain bullet. Speed means nothing if you can’t hit what you’re shooting at. My muzzle loader is rated for 150 grains of powder but I only use 100. I have taken deer from 10 yards to 185 yards and not one of them complained.
Posted by: vic

Re: Load Development - 07/11/21 07:12 PM

You've got decent speed, so at the yardage you're quoting, things oughtta go good.

Same on the muzzleloader. I prefer a heavier bullet for more penetration and bone-breaking. It's like the 45-70. I haven't bought into the gummy-tip bullets because the .45-70 will never match the trajectory of the .308 I hunt with.

I just don't hunt with it where a long shot would be the norm.
Posted by: Cash is King

Re: Load Development - 09/23/21 01:19 PM

Nice shooting... I have found that the Sierra book is NEVER WRONG.

There are plenty of other books and most are helpful and useful (except the Hornady book... NEVER TRUST HORNADY DATA), but as a go to book I used Sierra and Lee for 95% of my load development.

As for 45-70 at long range... I agree past 400 yards, but up to that range I would hunt with a .458 gun any time on any game.