Who's Online
4 registered (Shrek69, 804life, RH03a3, 1 invisible), 7 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1684410 - 10/17/20 08:06 PM Why only trades??
sbk1198 Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Norfolk
First off, I apologize if this is not in the right section of the forum, but to me it seemed the most appropriate section (I'm not a frequent user of this forum so I'm not familiar with all of it).

I often look here and other online sources for used guns that I might be interested in getting and I've come across quite a lot of sale ads where the poster says he only wants to trade, not sell. Can someone explain why?? Am I missing something? Is there some sort of advantage to be had by doing that? I've always thought cash is king, and if you want to get rid of a firearm (or anything for that matter), selling it for money is the most preferred and usually easiest way to do it. An offer for a trade can help, but I see it as being very limiting if that's the ONLY thing you're willing to do, especially if you're only willing to trade for a specific gun. Good luck finding someone that has exactly what you want and wants to trade you for what you have.

Just curious to know what the reason behind this is...

#1684515 - 10/18/20 08:47 AM Re: Why only trades?? [Re: sbk1198]
SgtSquishySquash Offline
Belt Fed

Loc: VA
City or County: Dinwiddie & Henrico
Sometimes folks who post a firearm for trade only, have no idea what they want and are open to any offers.

Like just trying to see whats out there.
Maybe they get offered something they didn't know they wanted/didnt know existed.

Or they just get bored with a gun and want to get something/anything new or different.

As for the folks who post for trade only for a specific item, I agree that it will be a hard chance they get that exact trade unless they are trading down.

I have firearm ADHD. I mostly only post for trade, and occasionally sell, but I really only sell if I found something I have to have.

Hope this helps.
If They Stand Against You, Show Them No Mercy

#1684679 - 10/18/20 06:11 PM Re: Why only trades?? [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
sbk1198 Offline
Single barrel

City or County: Norfolk
Originally Posted By: SgtSquishySquash

Like just trying to see whats out there.
Maybe they get offered something they didn't know they wanted/didnt know existed.

Or they just get bored with a gun and want to get something/anything new or different.

As for the folks who post for trade only for a specific item, I agree that it will be a hard chance they get that exact trade unless they are trading down.

But so then why not sell it for money? And then use that money to buy something else when you do come across something that you want? I just feel like you're giving away opportunity by doing that. Because if you have a gun that I want and you list it as "trade only" but I have nothing that you're interested in or nothing that I'm willing to get rid of, then you're still stuck with it. But if you put a price on it you might sell it quick.

#1684694 - 10/18/20 07:21 PM Re: Why only trades?? [Re: sbk1198]
Jbeacham Offline
Bolt action

City or County: Yorktown
I know for a few people I’ve talked and myself included,Have a gun that they see value in but others may not see the same value. Perception is worth more to a buyer than a sellers market outlook. I’d have a better chance finding someone to trade with that I would selling. Easier just just say for trade only looking for so and so.