Who's Online
17 registered (Zero_706, Ethansw, Gnome, Jkay327, Blackfoot501, jblack87, wrickster, 10 invisible), 4 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#705336 - 04/04/14 06:32 PM Saiga AK question or general ak question
KCO Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: alexandria
recently purchased a used Saiga AK 223 in very good shape with conversion to what a normal AK looks like. Seems to be a quality job with good quality parts etc looked on you tube and seems to be just like the videos.

I noticed that the gas piston is not rigid but has some wobble in it. Nothing major just a few millimeters each way from the tac pin. This is my first AK is this normal? or what.

Everything looks good but i'm a bit wary of the up and down movement. Any info would be great

#705428 - 04/04/14 09:29 PM Re: Saiga AK question or general ak question [Re: KCO]
fantasm Offline
Double barrel

Loc: va
City or County: Newport News
The defining quality of an AK is the dependability of the rifle. it achieves this dependability by allowing some movement "slop" in its parts. all AK's will have this and its perfectly normal. If it shoots fine then it is good to go.

#705531 - 04/05/14 07:26 AM Re: Saiga AK question or general ak question [Re: fantasm]
KCO Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: alexandria
ok good thanks

I just bought it and was a bit spooked to shoot it with the piston moving like that.... but its take down day clean it up and over to the range tue or wed

#733587 - 05/29/14 07:44 PM Re: Saiga AK question or general ak question [Re: KCO]
TombstoneRay Offline
Sharp Shooter

Loc: Powhatan,Va
City or County: Powhatan
I got my first AK (Normally a AR shooter). I got a mount that replaced my rear sight to mount an optic but it keeps coming loose. Does any one know someone close to the Richmond area (or in the state)that can install the side mount bracket that allow a quick over the top mount to use with a optic.

Hope this makes some sense.

Ray

#734197 - 05/31/14 05:44 AM Re: Saiga AK question or general ak question [Re: TombstoneRay]
Riverine Offline
Chief Gunners Mate

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Virginia Beach
Originally Posted By: TombstoneRay
I got my first AK (Normally a AR shooter). I got a mount that replaced my rear sight to mount an optic but it keeps coming loose. Does any one know someone close to the Richmond area (or in the state)that can install the side mount bracket that allow a quick over the top mount to use with a optic.

Hope this makes some sense.

Ray

Mike at Coastal Gunworks in VA Beach can install the side optic mount.