It's easy for military because our ID satisfies the requirement for "Proof Of Training". The requirement for civilians is pretty straightforward... just about any firearms training will satisfy, but the NRA Basic Course is probably pretty common.

I've had my Florida licence for years... but thanks to our Gov/AG, it won't be valid in a few weeks, so I've got my VA one now.

The application consists of a 1-page form, there are copies hanging on the wall inside the Clerk of The Court vestibule at the Courthouse. It will take you about 3 minutes to fill out and is very similar to a 4473. The fee is $50 for 5 years (Credit Card service charge is another $2)... she indicated 4-6 weeks to process, but I know historically it's more like 2 weeks... perhaps right now there is a crunch and the wait is longer.

Anyways, it was the first time I left a courthouse happy.

FOR MILITARY: Print and take a copy of your current VA orders (they will keep it with your application)... you will also need your Military ID and your Drivers License.

FOR ALL: There is a metal detector at the entrance and huge signs that CEL PHONES are prohibited... obviously no weapons of any kind are allowed, but I had to walk back to my truck to deposit my phone. They will check your keychain as well for a mini-Gerber or whatever as well.

Here is a link with all the applicable statutes, what constitutes "Proof Of Training", and a link in Yellow to download an application in case you want to fill it out early.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm