Who's Online
13 registered (Matt69, 1DEUCE, USSVIRGIINA, SSGWilson, Minh, Stankyeti, carpetmuncher, 6 invisible), 10 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#746312 - 06/24/14 05:00 PM SCOTUS: Law-Abiding Citizen Cannot Buy a Gun for Another Law-Abiding Citizen
Motorcharge Offline
Marksman

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
City or County: Chesterfield
Quote:
Justice Elena Kagan wrote the majority opinion and Justice Antonin Scalia wrote the dissent.

As Breitbart News reported on January 25, the case centered on whether a law-abiding citizen could buy a gun he or she planned to sell to another law-abiding citizen. It arose when former police officer Bruce James Abramski purchased a Glock handgun so he could get a discounted law enforcement price, then "transferred the gun to his uncle in Pennsylvania."

According to ABC News, Kagan wrote that "the federal government's elaborate system of background checks and record-keeping requirements help law enforcement investigate crimes by tracing guns to their buyers." She said this is undercut if a person can buy a gun for another person.

Scalia countered by writing that the language Congress used in fashioning background checks "does not support making it a crime for one lawful gun owner to buy a gun for another lawful gun owner."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/...Abiding-Citizen

Alright I know this isn't an upcoming VA bill but I figured it's something people should be aware of because I doubt it will take McAuliffe and his ilk long before they try to twist this ruling against individual private sales in our state. What constitutes buying for someone else and how long must I own my firearm before selling it to another individual legally under VA law before I'm violating the precedent set in this ruling? This is one hell of a slippery slope to go down and this might be one of the worst anti-gun SCOTUS rulings in decades.

Edited by Motorcharge (06/24/14 05:01 PM)

#746758 - 06/25/14 03:39 PM Re: SCOTUS: Law-Abiding Citizen Cannot Buy a Gun for Another Law-Abiding Citizen [Re: Motorcharge]
Fenton1 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
City or County: Lynchburg
I fear the same thing. Not just on a state level but can't you just see Eric Holder using this language to vastly expand the definition of "straw purchase".

#749238 - 06/30/14 08:55 PM Re: SCOTUS: Law-Abiding Citizen Cannot Buy a Gun for Another Law-Abiding Citizen [Re: Motorcharge]
dhanes Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Chesapeake, Va, USA
City or County: Chesapeake
You can still buy a gun for someone and visa-versa, just no reimbursement can be done, otherwise it becomes a straw purchase.

#749383 - 07/01/14 07:59 AM Re: SCOTUS: Law-Abiding Citizen Cannot Buy a Gun for Another Law-Abiding Citizen [Re: dhanes]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln