Who's Online
1 registered (AdamW), 4 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#972397 - 11/20/15 08:14 PM Pheasants!
kjack Offline
Old Left Handed Navy Guy

Loc: Chesterfield
City or County: Chesterfield
I just got back from the pheasant season opener in Kansas. A work/hunting buddy invited me out.

He has two great Springer Spaniels (professionally trained), a gun safe to drool over, and the most understanding wife in the universe (next to mine, of course).

Transporting my gun into Kansas City, Missouri, airport out of Richmond was exceptionally easy. There must have been a dozen shotguns on the plane out of Charlotte, judging from the baggage pick-up office.

Kansas has a superior system of designating open hunting areas (and compensating land owners). We had lots of options and lots of birds (most disappearing over the horizon, but we got 6 in 4 days).

I used a double barrel shotgun with 20 and 28 ga barrel sets I got off the board. It was light at the beginning of the hunt and gained at least 20 pounds by the end of the day. I used open chokes on both gauges made clean kills. I only felt I needed a 3.5" 12 ga when the birds flushed wild.

The other excitement was a tornado 3 miles away on our last night. I spent 20 minutes in a shelter under the motel. The town got 2.5" of rain in 24 hours.

All-around, a great 4 days!!

Attachments
proud dad with his 2 girls 2.jpg

Edited by kjack (11/21/15 12:54 PM)

#972423 - 11/20/15 08:51 PM Re: Pheasants! [Re: kjack]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Nice!

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#972891 - 11/22/15 10:41 AM Re: Pheasants! [Re: kjack]
SnakeLover Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Mechanicsville, VA
City or County: Hanover
Glad that double worked out for you! Congratulations on your birds!!

Brad