Who's Online
12 registered (antiquerer, Jamesriverjoe, shoot2kill, ZapPap, mcdavitt89, PanzerJager107, Davester, 5 invisible), 10 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1235013 - 08/06/17 09:07 PM Kansas Pheasants (Part Deux)
kjack Offline
Old Left Handed Navy Guy

Loc: Chesterfield
City or County: Chesterfield
My old thread expired, so, even though it's pretty early, I'm going to resurrect this one:

Have my airline reservation for Kansas in November. Difference this year is that my host has an opening weekend commitment, so we will actually get out after the crowd has thinned. Last year, two of our pre-scouted spots were occupied even though we got out an hour before sunrise. [Luckily we had 23 other super spots to choose from - Kansas has AWESOME marked land land options.]

In deference to my host, I will be shooting a well cared for Remington 48 Sportsman 16 ga (great get off this board). He has a 16 Spanish double that he swears by (and shoots extremely well). Last thread, I talked about my 28 ga that dropped pheasants as well as the bigger gauges. The 28 will be with us in case I can't hit anything with the 16. [If I miss, his dog will probably **I miss Obama** on my leg.] Pictures will be up as soon as I can find a replacement for that stupid Photobucket.

My preferred load is 1 oz of high speed 7.5s (in 28, 16, and 20) but my friend likes 1 1/8 load of #6 in his. He's buying the shells (so I don't have to carry them on the plane; I'll defer to him). I left my 28s out there last year with 7.5, 6, and 5s. We always stop at a Cabela's on the road, so I'll have lots of time to change my mind. Fiddling with loads is part of my fun even though the pheasants won't know the difference.

More later.

#1236286 - 08/09/17 07:12 PM Re: Kansas Pheasants (Part Deux) [Re: kjack]
troutnut Offline
Fish fear me.

Loc: Mcgaheysville
City or County: Rockingham
Sounds like a great trip planned. Nice choice in shotguns as well i like the old 16 ga . I have a couple older Winchester mode 12s in 16 and a couple old model 870s in 16.

Edited by troutnut (08/09/17 07:12 PM)

#1247354 - 09/04/17 04:12 AM Re: Kansas Pheasants (Part Deux) [Re: kjack]
the cwa Offline
MODERATLY MONITORING MODERATOR

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Prince George,23842
Your old thread has not expired, it is still here. From the main page of the hunting forum, scroll to the bottom and you will see "display options". The default setting is to show topics active within the last 3 months but that can changed. Click on the arrow to bring up a drop down menu for options. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

If you were a hotdog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

HEY, we all know that the moon is not made of green cheese. but what if it was made of barbecue spare ribs, would you eat it then?

#1247355 - 09/04/17 04:15 AM Re: Kansas Pheasants (Part Deux) [Re: kjack]
the cwa Offline
MODERATLY MONITORING MODERATOR

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Prince George,23842
And this does sound like a fun trip, I hope it goes well and you have a good time.

If you were a hotdog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

HEY, we all know that the moon is not made of green cheese. but what if it was made of barbecue spare ribs, would you eat it then?

#1282620 - 11/21/17 09:14 PM Re: Kansas Pheasants (After Action Report 11/14 - 11/16) [Re: the cwa]
kjack Offline
Old Left Handed Navy Guy

Loc: Chesterfield
City or County: Chesterfield
I took that Remington 48 16 ga to Kansas last week for pheasant. My friend is a 16 fanatic and encouraged me to bring it.

A little excitement on the trip with a blowout at 0-dark-30 on the way to the airport in the rain and fog delay in and out of Charlotte, but all worked out.

Pheasants were a little sparse and I only got 1 in 3 days, but I did get a few quail (which were surprisingly abundant this year). Weather was clear and dry, with reasonable walking temperature (50) but lots of breeze.

Dog is Emma, 4 year old English Setter. We traded off with Molly, 10, who was a rescue at 4 and is an excellent hunter. Molly is posing with two not shot by me.

The gun was a pleasure to carry and easy to shoot. It was my first autoloader experience and the 3rd shot was comforting but ultimately useless the one time I emptied the gun on a rooster with a 40 knot tailwind. I was advised that NO ONE ever misses a pheasant by shooting too far out front.

I left the shotgun with my friend in KC (along with my 28/20 double) in anticipation of a March South Dakota safari. Hope I get a kitchen pass again!

My friend, MAJ R.H. Barrows, USMC (Ret), with a dog admirer at Cabela's in KC

Attachments
20171115_141412.jpg

20171116_170834.jpg

20171116_085359_resized.jpg

Edited by kjack (11/21/17 09:37 PM)