Who's Online
11 registered (AmarilloGrande, Ron_L, PMOORE, Headhog, 6watcher, 6 invisible), 16 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1602360 - 03/03/20 06:42 AM Maryland & Pennsylvania Carry?
Slim101 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Amelia
Does anyone know what the law is for a Virginian carrying in Maryland or Pennsylvania? I’ve read several different things and am no better off than I started. I know they don’t honor VA Concealed Permit, but what is the law in being in possession of a firearm?

#1602374 - 03/03/20 07:31 AM Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania Carry? [Re: Slim101]
Jefffaa Offline
Early Retirement Provider

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Norfolk
Neither reconize VA permits, Penn is a open carry for all but Maryland is a no go for both and the firearm has to be secured in a locked container unloaded when traveling is what I was told.

I guess the real answer to your question is Yes you will be put in jail if they catch you with a concealed firearm and you dont have the right documents.

Edited by Jefffaa (03/03/20 08:00 PM)

#1602410 - 03/03/20 09:09 AM Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania Carry? [Re: Slim101]
P3Bill Offline
VETERAN PEASHOOTER

Loc: Wilderness
City or County: Orange County
Check out the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 "Safe Passage Provision"

One of the law's provisions (codified in section 926A of title 18 of the U.S. Code) was that persons traveling from one place to another have a defense for any state firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gasoline), provided that the individual is not otherwise prohibited from possession of a firearm, the firearms and ammunition are not readily accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[12][13]

This section has also been interpreted to protect air travel.[14][15]
Definitions of certain terms in the law include:
Transporting. Not staying for any determined length of time. Passing through on the way to some place.
Unloaded. No ammunition in the firearm. In the case of McDaniel v. Arnold, the courts upheld a conviction based on the interpretation that the accused had a loaded firearm despite not having a round in the chambered position.[16]
Not readily accessible. There are no clear court decisions or interpretations available but this term is widely regarded as meaning Not capable of being reached quickly for operation.
Locked container. A hard-sided container that is locked such as to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access.

#1602704 - 03/03/20 07:55 PM Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania Carry? [Re: Slim101]
FordBoy Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Clarke
City or County: Clarke
Pa will give you an out of State Permit. Certain counties are better than others to use. Franklin and Adams Counties were popular when I last applied.

I have seen that above section posted by Bill before..

#1602776 - 03/03/20 10:00 PM Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania Carry? [Re: Slim101]
Slim101 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Amelia
Would a person be safe if the pistol was locked in a glove compartment and the ammo and magazine in the truck bed?

I’m usually up there for 2-3 days at a time. I don’t want to leave the gun at the house, but I don’t want to end up in jail either.

#1602795 - 03/03/20 10:54 PM Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania Carry? [Re: Slim101]
Lastlaugh Offline
Appalachian American

Loc: Poquoson, VA
City or County: Poquoson
Originally Posted By: Slim101
Does anyone know what the law is for a Virginian carrying in Maryland or Pennsylvania?

Don't ask, don't tell

#1603393 - 03/05/20 05:16 PM Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania Carry? [Re: Slim101]
ak66 Offline
Sharp Shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: Fairfax
I’m not an attorney but here’s how I understand it and do so when traveling through and to MD. The only reason why I would travel to MD is for competition so can’t comment on other reasons. But my understanding is that you cannot bring a handgun to MD without a permit or if you are there for competition or going to a repair shop or a shooting range.

Locked in a container does not include a glove compartment. It’s usually a small safe or case with lock on it. A firearm with all empty magazines is stored together and ammunition goes in a separate container. The idea is that they should not be readily accessible.

VA CHP is invalid in MD, I did hear that there’s a way to get a MD permit if you are an instructor for their required wear and carry permit training, but haven’t met anyone who got one.

If passing through MD to PA, I just try and not stop in MD until I reach PA. The laws in MD are a patchwork of nonsense and there are 2 main views on what will happen if you are transiting with a handgun through MD. Technically, you should be covered by the federal law on interstate transportation of firearms. However, some believe that it means you cannot make any stops in MD - even restroom or gas breaks, since under MD law you’re brining a handgun to MD w/o a permit.

Edited by ak66 (03/05/20 05:18 PM)
- Colt stripped M4 upper receiver
- Comtac III or higher
- Leupold MK4 spotting scope