Who's Online
10 registered (cadi86, Tan41, Dezilla, Spare, red3, theconverted, 4 invisible), 10 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1647132 - 06/10/20 07:14 AM Lime Mortar
widefat Offline
Marksman

Loc: Rapidan
City or County: Orange
I need to find a source for lime mortar - either mixed or bag. Anywhere in Va?
Recommendations?

Thanks~

#1647141 - 06/10/20 08:33 AM Re: Lime Mortar [Re: widefat]
a_s Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Richmond
City or County: Richmond
If you need a lot, try Bonsal American.

#1647162 - 06/10/20 09:11 AM Re: Lime Mortar [Re: widefat]
Bcmgunfighter Offline
Not all ARs are created equal...

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Rochelle
Originally Posted By: widefat
I need to find a source for lime mortar - either mixed or bag. Anywhere in Va?
Recommendations?

Thanks~

What will the application be?
DD Lite Rail II 14

MY DO NOT DEAL LIST
smilewhenIshoot - “There is zero evidence of voter fraud”
Manwich23 - supports Chinese/US power grid
JiveBunny
Downhillshot
Alwaystrading
dcarms - ATF CUCK

#1647256 - 06/10/20 11:58 AM Re: Lime Mortar [Re: Bcmgunfighter]
widefat Offline
Marksman

Repointing old brick

#1647284 - 06/10/20 01:10 PM Re: Lime Mortar [Re: widefat]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
We did the restoration of Fort McHenry in Baltimore years ago with lime putty mortar. That was many years ago.

If you do a search under iptw which stands for international preservation trade Workshop you may find some connections to help you with the source. I also think that Virginia slate company in Richmond which is owned by The Adamson family may have been a source I'd heard of a few years ago.

The last suggestion I might offer is the National Park Service has a training center call Historic preservation Training Center or hptc. You might give them a call an attempt to sort out what you were seeking.

I do understand what you were trying to do I've done it many times in the past but it's been well over 10 years and I have no further connections to offer.

If you do add a small amount of Portland to increase the strength of your lime putty mortar... I will share this unusual piece of information. Grey cement dries whiter then white cement and white cement dries darker then grey cement. I do not know why but something I did learn in the field.

Edited by Cash is King (06/10/20 01:21 PM)
Edit Reason: Typos.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1647287 - 06/10/20 01:18 PM Re: Lime Mortar [Re: widefat]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

You can also make your own by slaking limestone, but it's a real pain in the butt.

#1647365 - 06/10/20 04:40 PM Re: Lime Mortar [Re: Cash is King]
widefat Offline
Marksman

Originally Posted By: Cash is King
We did the restoration of Fort McHenry in Baltimore years ago with lime putty mortar. That was many years ago.

If you do a search under iptw which stands for international preservation trade Workshop you may find some connections to help you with the source. I also think that Virginia slate company in Richmond which is owned by The Adamson family may have been a source I'd heard of a few years ago.

The last suggestion I might offer is the National Park Service has a training center call Historic preservation Training Center or hptc. You might give them a call an attempt to sort out what you were seeking.

I do understand what you were trying to do I've done it many times in the past but it's been well over 10 years and I have no further connections to offer.

If you do add a small amount of Portland to increase the strength of your lime putty mortar... I will share this unusual piece of information. Grey cement dries whiter then white cement and white cement dries darker then grey cement. I do not know why but something I did learn in the field.

Thank you very much for your input!

And no sir, I am not up for lime slaking. I had to look it up to see what it was. I'm sure they did that on-site when they built the house, but that was back when men had more testosterone.

Yes, my google-fu failed me. I did find a couple of out of state places that will ship, but the shipping cost more than the product.
The folks at my local building supply are checking their "mortar guy".

Edited by widefat (06/10/20 04:41 PM)

#1647542 - 06/11/20 07:13 AM Re: Lime Mortar [Re: widefat]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

https://www.ptn.org/events/historic-masonry-mortar-workshop

Looks like iptw changed its name to ptn, preservation trades Network. Must be a generational changing of the guards.

Luck Stone is a limestone Quarry mostly and since lime mortor is made from limestone they might also be a source for you. The only other suggestions I have would be contact the folks at Monticello if you can stand contacted people from a place like that and ask if they have a source.

For folks following This Thread that don't understand the reasons for using lime mortar vs. Portland cement. Older bricks were not kiln-fired to the degree of strength as a modern brick. Modern mortar is far stronger than historic brick... and mortar joints should always be slightly less strong than the substrate brick.

Too strong of a mortar and you will crack the original brick... after that you have nothing.

Lime mortar also has a molecular Construction that is self-healing. Portland sediment does not it cracks and never repairs itself.