Who's Online
12 registered (JWAU250, Eric Pugh, SchmidtShow, HWF, carpetmuncher, enkrates9, ken792, BigTuna, 4 invisible), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1572969 - 12/19/19 01:28 PM a question for the assembled
dustydog Offline
drooling old single shot fanatic

Loc: Chester
City or County: Chester
...aimed at the central Virginia members:

My face is a known component of central Va. gun shows since the early 70's,usually puttering around antique arms displays and talking history and science of firearms.The question is as follows:

Can anyone I actually know say they have seen lue-jones?

Not interested in a description,just would love to know if our resident Red hunter is a person or a '"bot".

Don't blame me if you find your life wanting,it takes sand to bet it all on one card.

Waiting for snow to cover my tracks.

#1572977 - 12/19/19 01:49 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
Originally Posted By: dustydog

My face is a known component of central Va. gun shows since the early 70's,usually puttering around antique arms displays and talking history and science of firearms.The question is as follows:

Not interested in a description,just would love to know if our resident Red hunter is a person or a '"bot".

I think you are using the wrong term:
An Internet bot, also known as a web robot, robot or simply bot, is a software application that runs automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone.

#1572983 - 12/19/19 02:05 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: Mark S]
dustydog Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark S
Originally Posted By: dustydog

I think you are using the wrong term:
An Internet bot, also known as a web robot, robot or simply bot, is a software application that runs automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone.

No mark,the question is as asked. A hobby of mine for years has been "hunting" Turing programs, since about 2000. It's my substitute for hunting game animals other than rabbits with a bow,slingshot,or .22 single shot rifle.
My question is based on the observable facts of lue-jones comings and goings,the "spoor"; if such a term has any meaning anymore.And my curiosity is insatiable.

Don't blame me if you find your life wanting,it takes sand to bet it all on one card.

#1573008 - 12/19/19 03:23 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
toughtom12 Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Centreville/Manassas
City or County: Manassas
He has 8 VAGT Members that have posted to his profile about having conducted business with him? And "bot" is a derogatory term Dustydog! People call me a bot when I'm playing videogames online smile

#1573059 - 12/19/19 05:17 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: toughtom12]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

If they call you a bot when playing video games that's because they think it is an algorithm playing not a human.

Edited by Mark S (12/19/19 05:17 PM)

#1573338 - 12/20/19 12:59 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

Loc: KS
City or County: Lenexa
tom.. thay may mean it as you're cheating.. but its one hell of a compliment if you think about it..

#1573527 - 12/20/19 11:07 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: scythefwd]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Originally Posted By: scythefwd
tom.. thay may mean it as you're cheating.. but its one hell of a compliment if you think about it..

+1!

#1573555 - 12/21/19 05:55 AM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: Mark S]
dustydog Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark S
Originally Posted By: scythefwd

+1!

Neat turn to the thread! I like it!

I'd like to add a second question: if lue-jones were a "bot" (still waiting on news of a sighting),would that affect his readers view of his postings? As a "bot" he would simply be a program based on any number of news service filter systems available on the internet targeting specific audiences.

#1574218 - 12/22/19 10:24 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
toughtom12 Offline
Gun fool

Lol guys! It's just funny to hear people say "bots" outside of the gaming community. And I have a question for you Dusty? What would be the purpose or endgame for a Bot to be posting about the dangers of communism on a gun trading website? I'm pretty sure Lue is a real person, he got mad at me for trolling him during some of his initial Communism posts. I made mocking references to the movie Red Dawn on his thread, and he let me know that he was dead serious about what he was posting. Maybe you will get to meet him at Lobby Day.

#1574256 - 12/23/19 06:01 AM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
dustydog Offline

It's not about a question of purpose,Tom,threads are designed to appeal to a target audience.What sells on a gun website does not sell on a site regarding the breeding of koi for fun and profit, or baking biscuits,etc. It's raw curiosity about the very nature of the internet.

The presumption of the internet is a certain degree of anonymity. When I started my hobby of "hunting" Turing programs,it was fairly easy,more of a game of "20 Questions".Programs have gotten both more subtle,and more pervasive (computer assistant voice systems);with a corresponding loss of privacy.Ah well,such is the cost! The result in some ways has become the greatest marketing system in the history of humankind.Seriously,enough positive reviews,you could sell s**t sandwiches out of a food truck and have folks lining up for blocks in the rain,lol!

Me,I'm sorta primitive.First contact with a computer was a Osborne targeting system (Yes,the 40+lb. "laptop" with subsidiary battery pack Osborne),and the possibilities still fascinate me. So I hunt Turings.

Lobby day would be interesting,but without corresponding proof from someone I knew for a few years,anyone could walk up and claim the name. Actually hoping (sorta!) that he is a Turing,would show a further step towards AI.

#1574268 - 12/23/19 07:21 AM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Tom; Lue won't meet Dusty on Lobby Day... nor will I.

Big gigantic game of Where Is Waldo...

Dusty has been begging and pleading to meet me for years... Now it is Lue... but he's too ignorant to figure out how... he always falls for the redirect... every single time.

It was actually comical for a while before it became down right pathetic.

Dusty desperately seeks attention from anyone, anywhere, anytime to acknowledge his presence in the world... even the tiniest bit of attention...

Every time I see Dusty I think of I.J Miggs... and it reaffirms my hell no I'm not going over there.

FYI, the ice fishing is looking great at Lake Anna Dusty, please give us a report ASAP.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1574326 - 12/23/19 09:31 AM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
Colonfree Offline
Redacted

Loc: VA
City or County: Seaford
-:

Attachments
358917B4-15E3-4708-91CD-5589068D47B3.png

homeland security: I cant believe with all the people in this country they can get that many dummys in one place at one time.

#1574426 - 12/23/19 04:34 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: Colonfree]
dustydog Offline

Originally Posted By: Colonfree
-:

spideythread?

EDIT: OH,is this what you mean? Seriously,had to go to urban dictionary and look it up.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spiderman%20thread

Edited by dustydog (12/23/19 04:51 PM)

#1574475 - 12/23/19 07:37 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
toughtom12 Offline
Gun fool

Fair enough, I suppose the thread is now dead

#1574478 - 12/23/19 08:02 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: toughtom12]
dustydog Offline

Originally Posted By: toughtom12
Fair enough, I suppose the thread is now dead

Why,tom? Can a 4-chan slang phrase kill an idea?

#1575318 - 12/26/19 07:14 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
dustydog Offline

Interesting.Ah well,on to other things.

Happy Boxing Day! And as is traditional,I'd like to give a present to that good and faithful servant,Cash is King.But first an admonition: Tsk,tsk,tsk,cash can you not even keep the peace between us on Christmas day? I refer to your comments of 12/25/19,10:46 pm,EST in the shoutbox.Felt safe I guess,as I had been long in bed by that time.

But your present: you haven't figured out that there may be someone you know that would sell you out on this board,to me,just for the laughs,have you?

Happy Boxing Day!

#1575929 - 12/28/19 12:52 PM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
panic788 Offline
Marksman

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Alexandria
With the regular posting, responding to threads without any discussion occurring, it smacks of seo backlinking spam. Bot or otherwise is unknown, but the constant barrage of links and post bumping when there isn't active discussion makes me remember when backlink seo abuse ran rampant. Hopefully it brings in the ad money to justify the traffic.

#1576155 - 12/29/19 06:12 AM Re: a question for the assembled [Re: dustydog]
dustydog Offline

Had not thought of such a primitive structure,but it would tidy up the question nicely.As such a spam pattern would be both easy to set up,and easy to set a simple "call and response" style of interaction,would make sense;could almost run itself.

The question then must be who would such a system profit,and how.

EDIT,EDIT,BY DANG EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAY JUST HAVE THOUGHT OF THE BOT/HUMAN IDENTITY QUESTION THAT WILL BRING A BIT OF TRUTH OUT! WILL TRY IT IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

Edited by dustydog (12/29/19 07:10 AM)