Who's Online
13 registered (WombatRider, FilipinoInVa, Blu18, granbycomet, 804life, Hemiphant_arms, Craaber, Iceman4807, RSF45, JDH, 3 invisible), 10 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1636238 - 05/14/20 07:27 AM 'Truck Guns'
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
Or...vehicle or BOB guns...

1. What's everyone's thought on leaving an extra firearm in your vehicle? Good, bad, security?

2. What would you keep there is you kept one? Is it vehicle dependent? Area you drive dependent? i.e. should it be easily concealable, or is firepower more important?

3. Or do you just keep ammo and mags for your EDC? Does it depend on what your EDC is?

4. An older less valuable weapon, or the one you are betting your life on?

#1636279 - 05/14/20 09:12 AM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
If I carried one, it would probably be a short AR or braced PCC. Unfortunately with driving the kids places and working in DC and MD on an almost daily basis, I don't carry a gun with me at all. The irony of needing one most in the places you aren't allowed to have one...

#1636313 - 05/14/20 10:31 AM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

I thought of both of those and I think they make sense. What about a 'short' shotgun, braced or pistol grip?

I seriously avoid going to either DC or MD as much as possible. Would likely have it in a non-descript bag I take in/out just in case.

#1636393 - 05/14/20 02:13 PM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
theconverted Offline
Purveyor of tall tales

Loc: virginia
City or County: Loudoun county
I go with a PTR 9KT with a folding brace, holosun optic, in a Condor triangluar backpack (gray, no MOLLE attachments so it doesn't scream "There's a gun in here!")

#1636407 - 05/14/20 03:06 PM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
mandrada01 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Chesapeake
I carry a Sig MPX-K in a north face messenger bag. Nothing screams I have a gun in this bag than a tactical bag with a bunch of molle all over it. I don’t keep it in my vehicle overnight, just when I am driving. I only carry one 30rd mag, I figure if I need more than that I probably should GTFO! I only carry what I am willing to trust my life with!

#1636419 - 05/14/20 03:56 PM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
Originally Posted By: Mark S
I thought of both of those and I think they make sense. What about a 'short' shotgun, braced or pistol grip?

I seriously avoid going to either DC or MD as much as possible. Would likely have it in a non-descript bag I take in/out just in case.

Shotguns are great within certain parameters, but maybe not precise enough for this application. Plus limits in capacity, etc. Really like my Suarez Tac-14, but wouldn't be ideal for a truck gun. Thinking rifle caliber is ideal in the .30 cal range, Blackout or 7.62x39 in whatever platform you prefer. I hate AKs, and the new Bren 2 looks pretty awesome. Might be getting one soon to try. Second to that a short .45 or 9mm like the MPX mentioned above or Scorpion. (Had an MPX, unreliable POS for me. Sold it, have a Scorpion pistol and bullpup and recommend them highly).

#1636708 - 05/15/20 10:00 AM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Gunfire always attracts attention. This can make a bad situation much worse.

I carry a 45 caliber SBR with a suppressor. Like a MAC 10. Very effective and virtually silent.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1636729 - 05/15/20 10:26 AM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

I almost always carry (usually a colt XSP w/7 rounds .380), so it would be in addition to and to increase 'capability'.

A pistol caliber carbine, especially a folder like the Grand Power Stribog PA9A1 or an Exter EP9 would be useful and possibly somewhat concealable depending on the time of year. A couple of 30 round mags would be useful.

The shotgun idea like a 520/620, Rem 10, or Win M12 because they can be broken down into to 18"-19" halves easily and 'packed', until needed, is what I had been thinking about. But, you'd need a minute or 2 to get them together.

A pistol length AR, especially a folder would give you plenty of ammo and range. It might be the most useful and greatest capability enhancer.

#1637379 - 05/17/20 06:02 AM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

Loc: Rappahannock County
City or County: Rappahannock County
I think firearms that are magazine/caliber compatible are a good choice for a bug out kits. PCC's such as the JP GMR 13/15 9mm and a Glock 19 make a good pair. My JP with the 14.5" barrel pushes many modern jhp loadings well into .357 mag. terriorty.

#1637530 - 05/17/20 12:12 PM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
dustydog Offline
drooling old single shot fanatic

Loc: Chester
City or County: Chester
Goodness,you boys live in some rough neighborhoods!
took an assesment of what is in the truck,and the list is as follows:
80# draw short bow/six arrows
Collins 24" machete
Romanian break barrel .177 air rifle w/tin of pellets
slingshot with bag of .32 cal. lead balls

..... and my favorite,the self defence tool that raises no questions,a full-size Vaughn framing hammer with hickory handle.
Sure,you can "strap up"as hard as you want.But why bother,if you get caught with your pants down,you caught!

Don't blame me if you find your life wanting,it takes sand to bet it all on one card.

Waiting for snow to cover my tracks.

#1638166 - 05/19/20 06:43 AM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: dustydog]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Dusty, it isn't just the 'rough neighborhood' mentality necessarily. Though that can be part of it, it also has to do with utility.

You are carrying a lot of stuff as weapons...I assume it fits the purposes you expect to encounter and that you have the space to do so. You can 'shoot' 3 different things and maybe competent with all three, but I prefer less.

#1638302 - 05/19/20 01:03 PM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
I base my decisions on past experience.

In other words... of the last 20 times I've drawn a weapon what has been the purpose and was that weapon the correct choice.

Hit a deer at night in a rural area and need to dispatch the injured animal out of kindness...

Shoot a coyote that is attacking the neighbor's dog...

Three guys assaulting a young girl and I felt obliged to intervene...

Carry whatever you like based on your experiences.

Edited by Cash is King (05/19/20 01:05 PM)
Edit Reason: Damn phone typos

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1640441 - 05/24/20 12:36 PM Re: 'Truck Guns' [Re: Mark S]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
If I knew what I was going to encounter which required a gun, I probably wouldn't go there. As it happens, I'm a son of God, not God, so I try to be ready just in case.

Edited by rromeo (05/24/20 12:36 PM)
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.