Who's Online
10 registered (ken792, P Stoneburner, A218julian, mike11713, tekeve, wrickster, Chip King, TheStig, 2 invisible), 5 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1660485 - 07/21/20 08:41 PM New Gun Owners- Outreach and training- What can we do?
JBaccheus Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Fairfax
Hello world.

From Race (inspired) riots to worldwide pandemics, 2020 has highlighted the inability of our government to either serve or protect. Seldom before has the need for self determination, and self protection been at this level in the public mind.
2020 is a year for new gun owners. People with no firearms background, limited exposure, and a deadly level of ignorance.
What can we do about it?

No, seriously what can we do? What can we do to educate, and reach out to a public populace which is inundated with propaganda designed to spread fear through misinformation? I look around the mass media, and the oxymoron "military grade Semi-automatic weapons of war" is floating everywhere. As dumb as it sounds to people in the know, those very same slogans create a barrier in the minds of those ignorant, forming preconditions and fear. Those same mental barriers will heavily influence voters this fall, and I do not want to see our Rights as Free (Wo)Men fall along the wayside.

Covid is the biggest obstacle to this course, it limits the availability of face to face contact, training, or range trips. People are afraid, and rightfully so. I myself contracted a case in May, and was laid out for nearly a month.

I am asking for suggestions, and for those among you with connections to come together and help us make a difference.

Idea:

A. How about some nice basic free media. Simple Videos on how guns work. The parts of a cartridge. The differences between revolvers and semiautomatics, the difference between hammer fired vs striker fired. All starting with the 3 rules of gun safety.

I am talking simple, informative, non prejudicial content designed to strip away the illusion of how guns work, and to build some familiarity. Ideally the NRA could put out a series of short video commercials (without espousing fear and panic to protect their corporate interests), or another platform group.

We can make a difference; we can reach out.

#1660759 - 07/22/20 10:48 PM Re: New Gun Owners- Outreach and training- What can we do? [Re: JBaccheus]
toughtom12 Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Centreville/Manassas
City or County: Manassas
The best thing we can do is to be generous with our time and resources towards new gun owners. I have no plan on how to help strangers, but I've already been hooking up some of my Left Leaning friends. I am happy to pay for the range and ammo if I can make them feel more comfortable around guns. The anti gun attitude doesn't change overnight, but you have to patiently chip away and lead by example. I have to say this whole "De Fund The Police" thing has been useful in recruiting more people to our side. The left used to say "Only the police should have AR's and High Cap mags etc... Anti gunners are currently in a tough spot. They all of a sudden don't want to rely on the police for protection, and are forced to reconsider what an average citizen should own.

#1660764 - 07/22/20 11:36 PM Re: New Gun Owners- Outreach and training- What can we do? [Re: toughtom12]
JBaccheus Offline
Double barrel

Ooh snap. Who do you call if you get rid of the police. Who could have possibly seen this coming.

#1660780 - 07/23/20 06:56 AM Re: New Gun Owners- Outreach and training- What can we do? [Re: JBaccheus]
703_gunner Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Fairfax Co.
I find a lot of pro 2nd folks demonize those who are anti-gun.

I made it a personal goal to take at least 1 new shooter to the range every month. I have been able to change the minds of many anti-2A. I also try my best to "unpoliticize" guns.

#1660856 - 07/23/20 02:08 PM Re: New Gun Owners- Outreach and training- What can we do? [Re: 703_gunner]
JBaccheus Offline
Double barrel

Amen. We are all folks. IF we talk more we can come together.

#1660995 - 07/24/20 09:39 AM Re: New Gun Owners- Outreach and training- What can we do? [Re: JBaccheus]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.