Who's Online
13 registered (mike4570, SDSwoll, AntaresProtocol, vabirddog261, JND, BigRed247, melon0111, vanavyman, unreel, bh2win, Tolbert Steve, JakeBenjis, 1 invisible), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1717675 - 01/22/21 12:28 PM DIY gun safe organization
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
I thought a thread sharing inexpensive ways to organize a gun safe would be useful. Here is my very simple and certainly not novel recent magnetic magazine holder:

Supplies from amazon (the price went up $2 on the magnetic strip since I bought it):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Z5NWWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3Z3VKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I was searching for magnetic strips, the cheaper ones were all for hanging up knives in a kitchen. Most of those have a plastic backing that has an irregular surface. However, the magnetic strip in this project is very simple/flat and has adhesive on the back. The combination of the adhesive on the magnet, the flat back to the magnet, and the adhesive on the velcro makes the project as simple as simple can be. The magnetic strip is inexpensive because it is not a very strong magnet. In the final photo, those are empty HiPower mags. I can experiment more, but I do not think that this project will hold a lot of loaded high capacity magazines. They might slip on the magnet and the liner of the safe will pull away. I will have to look into a good way to tack down the mag liner onto the sheetrock that backs it. However, for now this is a very inexpensive way to organize a lot of empty magazines on the wall of your safe.

Edited by wscrst (01/22/21 12:29 PM)

#1717706 - 01/22/21 02:44 PM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
fishtanker Offline
Addicted

Loc: Tidewater
City or County: Hampton
Very creative, thanks for sharing.

#1717863 - 01/22/21 09:00 PM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
The metal strips area great idea.

Imho, you should remove the carpet in your safe to help with corrosion.
Also, clay and silica cat lifter helps absorb humidity.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-all-fuss-corrosion-gun-safes-tom-kubiniec
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1718395 - 01/24/21 07:15 AM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

When you removed the carpet, did you cover the sheet rock behind it with anything in particular? Good stuff. Thanks.

-----I wasn't able to open the link yesterday but it worked today. Great article. Thank you.

Edited by wscrst (01/25/21 08:24 AM)

#1719030 - 01/25/21 03:11 PM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
I don’t have a safe that has drywall/sheet rock/gypsum board.

If I did I would remove it and pour concrete.
And or research materials that help control humidity that also add weight/structural integrity.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1719062 - 01/25/21 04:13 PM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
fishtanker Offline
Addicted

Loc: Tidewater
City or County: Hampton
I think that Sheetrock is the fireproofing, so only take it out if you can replace it.

#1719214 - 01/25/21 09:00 PM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

I think that this thread has gotten a bit off track. I like the article about why old safes are better than new safes, but I do not intend to take down my carpet nor sheet rock. I just wanted to show some safe organization solutions and to see if anyone else had any cool ideas to share. I'll post my solution to unstable long guns on the safe door tomorrow when I can take some photos. Cheers.

#1719347 - 01/26/21 09:20 AM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
imaduckin Offline
Gun fool

Loc: moved to SC
City or County: eastern sc
unstable long guns?, just fill it up , problem solved

#1719589 - 01/26/21 06:24 PM Re: DIY gun safe organization [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

My safe does not lock long guns into the designated holders on the safe door well. This leads to the guns moving around, knocking into each other, and occasionally falling off the door. Here is my inexpensive solution:

1. paracord already in house.
2. 100 plastic cord locks for under $10.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXNKPX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1