Who's Online
13 registered (Jake3, carpetmuncher, AndrewR, fry3008, 83Rabbit, Seth___105, ThirthyCal, powderfinger37, mike4570, pheebo, 3 invisible), 10 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#905148 - 06/01/15 12:27 AM Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home!
Bianchi Offline
Marksman

Loc: southwest Virginia
City or County: roanoke
Craigs Creek Range , Pott's Slope Mtn.-- May,2015 (Memorial Day weekend)

Dude left loaded 94 Win.( older pre-hammer block safety model) on bench muzzle down range, hammer, FULLY cocked while range was cold and people were resetting targets!
Same Rhoades scholar, sat magnum revolver @ 180 degrees on table sweeping EVERYONE to the left on the firing line.
I told the dude about the problems that might occur.
The self-centered do-gooder, next to him declared, "Awe, your OK".(Banjos and canoe trips, anyone?)

The guy mishandling weapons thus, felt enabled and placed yet another handgun next to the other, pointed in the SAME direction!

FOLKS IT IS NEVER OK TO SWEEP PEOPLE AT THE RANGE--REPEAT NEVER!!! whip

Summer, 2006--Craigs Creek Shooting Range/Pott's Slope

**I had another respectful member of society, detonate a 9mm round from his XD a couple inches from my right heel. This time the mall ninja was sitting directly behind me reciprocating the action of that particular auto-pistol. I turned around and logically, asked the mensa member to only handle weapons on the firing line; he vehemently replied, "I know what I'm doing".
I could feel my neck muscles tighten as I put my pistol into my range bag in preparedness to move to the other side of the firing line; a nano second later, I heard a bang, as dirt and debris ricocheted off the back of my calve.
I, as well as other range goers yelled, range cold and proceeded to give this tool an ear full; he packed his gear and took off in apparent embarrassment.

As someone who has been a competition shooter for a number of years, I feel like it is my duty to tell people who are doing wrong to make right. MOST people that see me shoot realize my talent and have immediate respect however, folks, SOCIOPATHS do exist and more and more they are showing up at ranges so be advised and exercise due diligence.

It is the hallmark of a sociopath to become indignant when questioned about the jeopardy they put on your very life.

#905211 - 06/01/15 09:26 AM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
MP3Mogul Offline
VAGT Staff

Loc: Salem, Virginia
City or County: Salem
I have had many unpleasant experiences at this range too. I had a "girlfriend" of a shooter point a loaded ar at my chest off safe with her finger on the trigger. I pointed a pistol at her head and told her to put the rifle down. I am tired of the idiots at this range.

This range is an accident waiting to happen.

Yesterday (Sunday) I witnessed a newby shooter walk down range while the range was hot and put up a target!!!!!

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
Chesty Puller

#906028 - 06/03/15 07:55 AM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
Bianchi Offline
Marksman

It may only take a tragedy for the anti's to promote legislation to declare gun ranges unfit for all citizens...

#906058 - 06/03/15 09:31 AM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
RRBunn Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Alexandria, VA
City or County: Alexandria - Fairfax Co.
I've been an RO at the IWLA Range in Centreville for over 12 years and we have very few problems, but this may be because we have every member attend a range class, we have TWO ROs on weekends and we post the rules. The last rule is the RO is always right and has the authority to remove unsafe shooters. We also have good folks who will inform the RO if they see something amiss. Sometimes we (the ROs) will pay special attention to help the newbies / guests and each member is RESPONSIBLE for the actions of their guests.

#906308 - 06/03/15 07:08 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
Bianchi Offline
Marksman

Yeah, Ranges open to the public on National forest can be visited by any person in any state of mind, at any time. At organized clubs, unsafe people are generally policed off the premises; I never worry about being swept at sanctioned IDPA events because of the 180 degree rule, the RO's (Range Officers) and the caliber of shooters.

When I go to public ranges, I always see things that make me cringe; I really like it when I'm down range and I see or hear someone cycling a guns action or handling their weapon.

It seems like common sense would dictate not to do these things; It seems for some, sense is not common.

#907814 - 06/07/15 12:50 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: MP3Mogul]
kk1532003 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Loudoun, VA
City or County: Loudoun
[quote=MP3Mogul]I have had many unpleasant experiences at this range too. I had a "girlfriend" of a shooter point a loaded ar at my chest off safe with her finger on the trigger. I pointed a pistol at her head and told her to put the rifle down. [/quote

Not really sure why you would do something like that? Were you intending to shoot her? If not, why would you possibly point a pistol at her?

#907824 - 06/07/15 01:29 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
MP3Mogul Offline
VAGT Staff

Loc: Salem, Virginia
City or County: Salem
because I was in fear of my life

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
Chesty Puller

#907831 - 06/07/15 01:56 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
Stupid people are the reason I refuse to go to a public range. Makes it kind'a nice to have my own 100 yard range 25 yards from my front porch. Wife does get pi$$'d when brass rattles off the side of the house when I shoot from the porch on rainy days.

#908928 - 06/09/15 10:04 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
boggle Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond
Sweepers are my worst nightmare!

#911505 - 06/16/15 12:29 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
shootergdv Offline
Marksman

Loc: VA
City or County: Rustburg
Like The Izaak Walton above, we require a Range Orientation class before issuing keycards to the automatic gate. So far we do not require RSO on duty at all times, but check randomly. We have talked about cameras and may yet install 'em.

In Virginia it is a Class I misdemeanor to recklessly handle a firearm in a way that endangers any person or property(Virginia Code 18.2-56.1). Me, I'da been tempted to have the guy described above charged.

It's amazing to me and I'm thankful that more injuries don't occur on public access ranges. Even the indoor ones scare me.

#911599 - 06/16/15 06:13 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: Bianchi]
Bianchi Offline
Marksman

Thanks for posting the code, shootergdv; very informative.
Hope, you and yours are well in Rustburg...

#912154 - 06/17/15 10:08 PM Re: Clueless individuals @ outdoor ranges---PLEASE stay @ home! [Re: MP3Mogul]
Bianchi Offline
Marksman

Until a person has a hot weapon pointed directly @ them, It is hard to rationalize the mind-set that a person has, who is trained, to counteract a threat; no one can really tell, if the other person has your demise as an intention (they could be mentally ill) or they are just being clueless or reckless; either way, the potential to die is there...

Your actions, may not seem PC, to some that interpret what you said; I respectfully get that. I also get the fact that as a former soldier that has been trained to react against hostile acts, "intended or not", training, becomes instinct and your brain tells you to do what is necessary to survive...

I am sorry that happened to you. It must have been very scary for you, (as the situation could have been a tragedy) and the female as well. In a situation such as that, nobody wins, and I mean nobody...

Glad no one was hurt.

Thank you for your service marine...

Godspeed, my brother

Bianchi