Who's Online
1 registered (Hiimjimmeh), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#698934 - 03/24/14 12:38 AM Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun?
MKWB Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Williamsburg
I have been debating with someone over the legality of it. He says "he's checked" and says an adult between 18 and 20 may possess a handgun (and ammo), even carry it open, but just not buy one (or ammo). I disagree. Everything I've heard is that you must be 21 and up to even possess one (unless it's a kid at home with parents right there).

Can anyone clear this up? If there are any attorneys who specialize in firearms on here, that would be awesome. I really need someone to cite chapter and verse on this. I want to make sure he doesn't advise someone into a felony.

Thanks!
Chris

Edited by MKWB (03/24/14 12:53 AM)

War Kittens!?!?

#699361 - 03/24/14 07:19 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: MKWB]
MP3Mogul Offline
VAGT Staff

Loc: Salem, Virginia
City or County: Salem
Your friend is correct. He may posses and open carry a pistol from age 18-20, but he cannot buy one. Also he cannot buy pistol ammunition.

He may also buy a pistol at 18, just not from a licensed FFL.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
Chesty Puller

#699460 - 03/24/14 09:29 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: MP3Mogul]
MKWB Offline
Bolt action

Really? So he can buy and sell in private transactions? And carry so long as he didn't buy the ammo?

Or is ammo kosher in private sale?

Where is this hiding in the laws? It's not a lack of believing you, it's just that I'd like to know where to find this stuff.

Thanks!
Chris

Edited by MKWB (03/24/14 09:30 PM)

War Kittens!?!?

#699464 - 03/24/14 09:41 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: MKWB]
ddogg Offline
Marksman

Loc: Spotsylvania, VA
City or County: Spotsylvania
Let me google that for you, MKWB.

Not really hidden, VSP was the first result.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm#FAQ

#699541 - 03/25/14 01:10 AM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: ddogg]
MKWB Offline
Bolt action

Sorry, 14 hour days cause my brains to scramble.

Since it omits mentioning private sales of handguns for the 18-20 crowd, that indicates that it is, in fact, legal, right?

Thanks!
Chris

War Kittens!?!?

#704904 - 04/03/14 08:59 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: MKWB]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
Only have to be 21 from ffl 18-20 fine on private sales and he can open carry

#710671 - 04/14/14 08:34 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: MKWB]
lizjimbo Offline
Marksman

Loc: VA
City or County: FREDERICKSBURG
The federal law prohibits an FFL from selling or transferring a pistol to any person under the age of 21. The operative word is FFL. Ammo has the same federal restriction except in private sales.

Edited by lizjimbo (04/14/14 08:34 PM)

#732489 - 05/27/14 07:09 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: MKWB]
Krm944 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA Beach
City or County: Virginia Beach
DDOGG- thanks for posting that.

My step-son is 15 and wants a pistol to hunt with. When linked to the "exceptions" hunting is a legitimate reason for a youth to possess a pistol.

18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

This section shall not apply to:

1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;

2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.

#732524 - 05/27/14 07:52 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: MKWB]
RegularGuyTabbed Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Roanoke VA
City or County: Roanoke
Yes, yes and check yes, all the data above appears to be current and accurate.

My daughter since the age of 16, now 17... would open carry in a holster, with none in the chamber and no magazine in the weapon... in the vehicle while traveling to the range (Potts Mtn), while at the range and while traveling home.

It I believe it is good for her to get the experience.

Now, I do not allow her to say.... open carry into a store (usually stop at the gas mart in New Castle for Gatorade)... She would leave the weapon in the (must I say locked?) vehicle... but she can keep her holster on. (No laws prohibiting the wearing of an empty holster... yet).

I forgot that she can carry while hunting, next time were at the WMA Ill have to let her carry the P250, which shes damn good with.

That is all..

Edited by RegularGuyTabbed (05/27/14 07:53 PM)

#756205 - 07/15/14 10:06 PM Re: Can Someone 18-20 Possess Handgun? [Re: RegularGuyTabbed]
Endurance1 Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Lynchburg
Friend was a poicment and couldn't but a weapon at 20. His dad bought one and then sold it used to his son so he had a weapon for his part time job. Laws like this are stupid....