Who's Online
7 registered (Pyro472, legalian, Jaycobb, 804life, AntaresProtocol, graybeard, 1 invisible), 7 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#985257 - 12/22/15 07:33 PM DIY Gas Checks
TheColtCollector Offline
Must love machineguns

Loc: Central Florida
City or County: Lakeland
Guys I don't know about you but I'm almost broke going that route of owning all my machineguns. So I cast, powdercoat and reload my own bullets for my subguns. It's the only way I can afford to shoot! Now I want to be able to afford to shoot my FNC and m16 in 223 as well. But I realize I would have to incorporate gas checks into the process above because I'm using lead bullets. I'm always trying to cut corners for time as well. I use a Dillon 1050 to load and have several time cutting corners in the powdercoating process.

I know their are ALOT of ways/gadgets to make gas checks out there, but what do you think is the fastest way without spending say more than a couple hundred on some new machine?

#987707 - 12/29/15 10:47 AM Re: DIY Gas Checks [Re: TheColtCollector]
Dalaram Offline
cannoneer

Loc: Virginia
City or County: NoVa
Have you seen that tool that allows you to make gas checks out of aluminum cans? That seems like a pretty good idea to me. I feel like there was one on Armslist specifically for .224 bullets for a while.

EDIT: But I'm not sure how this fits into the progressive cycle. I think you still have to put the gas check on the lead bullet, which I'm pretty sure you can't do on one of the 1050 stations.

Does powdercoating not alleviate the need for gas checks?

EDIT 2: This is the guy:

http://www.freechex.net/index.html

Edited by Dalaram (12/29/15 10:50 AM)

#991708 - 01/08/16 02:50 PM Re: DIY Gas Checks [Re: TheColtCollector]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
I am working on casting some of these for my big bores... 720 gr. 458s

With .45acp (aluminum or brass) as the gas check (swage afterwards) and make at .450 above the cannular so nobody has to deep throat/Linda Lovelace their chamber. The motto would be "Bullets SO BIG, they have .45 ACP in their scat!"

I have the lead... but no molds yet. If you want to play. Drop me a PM... we can co-conspire an effort.

Edited by Cash is King (01/08/16 02:56 PM)

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!