Who's Online
11 registered (thatruhondaryda, Dannylee, KryptoF15, pit, larry1341, Matt0898, 5 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1082083 - 08/19/16 02:56 PM Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup?
str870s Offline
Some dude

Loc: VA
City or County: Highland
I'm very new to reloading, but my father in law (FIL) has been doing it for years. It seems like he barely knows the basics himself, so I've basically just got periodic access to his RCBS equipment, not so much to "expertise."

I know RCBS is the name in basic reloading, and I've used my FIL's RCBS press, scale, shell holder, and I have the RCBS dies for my calibers. But I looked at basic "complete" kits, and Lee is making a very inexpensive (~$120) setup, which seems to include more components than the RCBS for $200. I'm not trying to make thousands of rounds, and don't need the fancy setups, I believe. I'm just trying to have the flexibility to make my own ammo, precisely, and somewhat cheaply (hence my desire not to spend $300-1000 on a setup). The powder measurement seems to be the real time-suck, since my FIL does it with a little spoon, carefully. I've seen powder dispensing devices, but haven't used any of them. It looks like the Lee setup comes with one.

Lee kit any good? Do I need to step up to RCBS? What's the good word?

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-kits/breech-lock-challenger-kit-prod54175.aspx

Thanks in advance.

#1082131 - 08/19/16 05:04 PM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
vic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: USA
City or County: Hopewell
I started with a Lee Challenger kit, and really the only thing I didn't like was the powder measure, which was a disc-type and didn't allow me to adjust the charge, I had to choose a cavity that was close to what I wanted for a charge and trickle up. Lee now makes an adjustable cavity measure, and I would have much preferred that.

I've since moved on to mostly RCBS stuff, but have items from Lyman, Dillon, Redding, and Hornady.

Lee equipment, though not as robustly built as some other manufacturers' equipment, is more than sufficient. A couple of their items I consider totally necessary, such as their very robust decapping die, and the Factory Crimp die.

Be advised, though, that you may think that a basic setup is *good enough*. Reloading can be as addictive as shooting or gun collecting, and you might agonize over the next purchase that you absolutely have to have......

#1082256 - 08/19/16 10:16 PM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
LBwill1960 Offline
Responsible for all the world's problems

Loc: Mechanicsville,VA
City or County: Hanover
Stick with what vic said . Lee challenger kit is what i started with and still use the press .
Usually Midway or somebody will have it on sale fro under 200 bux and that's everything ya need minus components .
Just my 2cent's worth

#1082443 - 08/20/16 12:54 PM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
troutnut Offline
Fish fear me.

Loc: Mcgaheysville
City or County: Rockingham
+1 on the Lee kit , I started with one . Still use the press for decapping . I have since moved to mostly RCBS stuff including a Rockchucker press. Reloading is like anything firearms related you can do basic and servicable or the sky's the limit. BTW Lee and RCBS have great warranty's and customer service.

#1082508 - 08/20/16 03:45 PM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
Puddle Jumper Offline
Addicted

Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
City or County: Shenandoah Valley
I also use the RCBS rockchucker set up. Never had any issues with any of it and I been reloading close to 25 years. I would also agree with Vic, it is very addictive..... before you know it you will be trying to load all your empty brass, which will never happen......lol the more you load the more you shoot, you see the trend here. smile Seriously though, I have the single stage press, which is much slower, but I am not in it for speed, most of my reloading is rifle stuff, well at least it was in the beginning, now I load a lot of pistol stuff too, which makes me want a progressive......

Here are 2 tips... set your die up and lock it with the lock ring and leave it, don't move it, if you "temporarily" change bullets and or set up and need to change, buy a new die and set it up, and lock it down and leave it, dies are cheap. Tip #2 start a reloading log book, with lot numbers and plenty of details....

#1082617 - 08/20/16 10:16 PM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

Loc: Dale City Va.
City or County: Dale City
Get it, read it. Great pics, easy to understand. https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-50th-Reload...ywords=lyman+50

Edited by mequirky (08/20/16 10:17 PM)

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1082641 - 08/21/16 12:14 AM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
Puddle Jumper Offline
Addicted

Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
City or County: Shenandoah Valley
+1 to quirky, I have the Hornady book, but a good reloading manual is a must...!

#1082672 - 08/21/16 06:50 AM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
ironhead7544 Offline
Single barrel

Loc: lovettsville
City or County: Loudoun
I recommend the Lee Turret press for new people. It will give you a somewhat quicker output of ammo. You can use it for a single stage press if you want to.

Get at least one manual. Lyman is good. Then join loaddata.com. Well worth the money.

Cast bullets will save you money. Shop around for the best deals. Beartooth Bullets is a good website for reloading.

A powder measure is a must if you want a fairly quick output. I do not like the powder measure shown with that Lee kit. It leaked powder and I could not fix it.

Edited by ironhead7544 (08/21/16 06:53 AM)

#1085485 - 08/28/16 09:23 AM Re: Thoughts on basic (inexpensive) kit setup? [Re: str870s]
str870s Offline
Some dude

Loc: VA
City or County: Highland
Thanks for the tips, everyone!