Who's Online
16 registered (jrd, Donald Bautista, Ben_K, loomey4320, 6watcher, Bullet41, Vesper, Iceman4807, Mari11, vshlopak, Armageddon2022, 5 invisible), 8 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#222139 - 11/02/11 11:57 PM SBR Discussion
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Culpeper
I will start this off with the ATFs definitions from the NFA handbook.

A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull of the trigger.11 A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

Weapon made from a rifle. A weapon made from a rifle is a rifle type weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

#222140 - 11/02/11 11:58 PM Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

To clear up any confusion on "constructive possession" and the belief that there is no such thing. There is established case law.

In United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Company, 504 U.S. 505 (1992), the United States Supreme Court examined whether a short-barreled rifle was “made” under the NFA when a carbine-conversion kit consisting of a single-shot “Contender” pistol was designed so that its handle and barrel could be removed from its receiver, and was packaged with a 21-inch barrel, a rifle stock, and a wooden fore-end. The Court held that, where aggregated parts could convert a pistol into either a regulated short-barreled rifle, or an unregulated rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, the NFA was ambiguous and applied the “rule of lenity” (i.e., ambiguities in criminal statutes should be resolved in favor of the defendant) so that the pistol and carbine kit, when packaged together, were not considered a “short-barreled rifle” for purposes of the NFA.

However, the Court also explained that an NFA firearm is made if aggregated parts are in close proximity such that they: (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make an NFA firearm (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and a short barrel); or (b) convert a complete weapon into an NFA firearm (e.g., a pistol and attachable shoulder stock, or a long-barreled rifle and attachable short barrel). Id. at 511-13.

ATF SBR Ruling 2011-4

Edited by Immortal Arms (02/16/12 01:08 PM)

#255233 - 01/13/12 03:02 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
jmb_nova Offline
Gunnoisseur

Loc: Fairfax, VA
City or County: Fairfax
So I just want to make sure I have this right....

For every NFA length upper (less than 16) you must have it attached to either an engraved SBR lower, or a pistol lower. You cant just have the upper laying around correct?

I build a pistol lower for every <16 barreled upper I get. The way I read it, that makes it good to go.

My 2cents anyway.

smile

#255302 - 01/13/12 05:22 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: jmb_nova]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
The way I play, I have at least one >16" upper for every lower with a stock. Having more <16" uppers than pistol/engraved SBR lowers is okay as long as you don't have a rifle lower with no partner.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#255521 - 01/13/12 10:27 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: jmb_nova]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

You are correct. You can't have a "loose" short upper laying around.

(b) convert a complete weapon into an NFA firearm (e.g., a pistol and attachable shoulder stock, or a long-barreled rifle and attachable short barrel)

#255523 - 01/13/12 10:29 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: rromeo]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

Originally Posted By: rromeo
The way I play, I have at least one >16" upper for every lower with a stock. Having more <16" uppers than pistol/engraved SBR lowers is okay as long as you don't have a rifle lower with no partner.

Per this ruling, having a "loose" short upper, no matter how many complete rifles you have is possession. Put them on pistol lowers, don't tempt fate.

#256011 - 01/14/12 08:37 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
Originally Posted By: Immortal Arms
Originally Posted By: rromeo

Per this ruling, having a "loose" short upper, no matter how many complete rifles you have is possession. Put them on pistol lowers, don't tempt fate.
I don't push people to do what makes them uncomfortable.

The key is here.
Quote:
serve no useful purpose other than to make an NFA firearm (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and a short barrel)
Once you have a pistol lower, or engraved SBR lower and stamp, you have a legal useful purpose.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#256171 - 01/15/12 09:16 AM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: rromeo]
bkrawler Offline
Never enough bullets

Loc: Mechanicsville va
City or County: Mechanicsville
I keep seeing pistil stamped lower in this topic. My understanding was a new unassembled lower is considered a pistol lower until a stock is added. At which point I can no longer be a pistol lower. Only an sbr.

Is owning a pistol upper and new lower assembled as a pistol, but not owning any sbr, tempting fate or pushing the rules of the nfa?

Based in everything in this post, no. Per prior threads I've read on this very forum yes. So which one is it?

Edited by bkrawler (01/15/12 09:18 AM)

I do custom duracoat. Send me a pm for a quote.

#256196 - 01/15/12 10:14 AM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: bkrawler]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

No, a bare receiver is a bare receiver. It is neither a rifle nor pistol until assembled into a configuration that would classify it as such.

Owning a "short barreled" upper receiver and a matching pistol configured receiver (no stock) is legal. Owning that same upper with only rifle configured receivers is illegal e.g. constructive possession.

The same upper with a bare/stripped receiver is legal as long as you do not possess an unattached rifle stock for a lower receiver simultaneously...constructive possession.

If you intend to build an AR pistol, then purchase the receiver complete or build it as a pistol BEFORE buying an upper for it. Way too many people buy the upper first and are surprised to find out that they are now in jeopardy.

#256240 - 01/15/12 11:05 AM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
bkrawler Offline
Never enough bullets

Quote:
If you intend to build an AR pistol, then purchase the receiver complete or build it as a pistol BEFORE buying an upper for it. Way too many people buy the upper first and are surprised to find out that they are now in jeopardy.

This is what I was looking for.

One more. Tac solutions SBX barrel

Is doing the same thing to an AR any different?

#256268 - 01/15/12 12:18 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: bkrawler]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

The TACSOL barrel shroud is welded on so it is not considered a "short barrel".

If you weld a flash hider to an AR short barrel that increases overall length to 16" then it is no longer a "short barrel".

#256306 - 01/15/12 01:14 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
bkrawler Offline
Never enough bullets

Cool thanks for the clarity.

#302180 - 04/04/12 04:59 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
Lincoln7 Offline
Quickdraw

City or County: Isle of Wight County
You can't have a "loose" short upper laying around.

You can have a loose SBR upper laying around as long as you don't have a loose non-SBR lower around. If all your non-SBR lowers have non-SBR uppers on them you can have as many loose SBR uppers as you want.

Do you have a shotgun and a hacksaw? Then how come you aren't guilty of 'constructive possession' to build a SBS? Same principle.

#302201 - 04/04/12 05:44 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Lincoln7]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

You are incorrect. The ruling is pretty clear on this topic:

However, the Court also explained that an NFA firearm is made if aggregated parts are in close proximity such that they: (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make an NFA firearm (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and a short barrel); or (b) convert a complete weapon into an NFA firearm (e.g., a pistol and attachable shoulder stock, or a long-barreled rifle and attachable short barrel). Id. at 511-13.

Your analogy of "hacksaw/shotgun" is false. The hacksaw has a purpose OTHER than making a weapon e.g. it isn't a firearm and no one would confuse it as part of one.

#302203 - 04/04/12 05:48 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Lincoln7]
Basenji Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Virginia Beach
Originally Posted By: Lincoln7
You can't have a "loose" short upper laying around.

You can have a loose SBR upper laying around as long as you don't have a loose non-SBR lower around. If all your non-SBR lowers have non-SBR uppers on them you can have as many loose SBR uppers as you want.

Do you have a shotgun and a hacksaw? Then how come you aren't guilty of 'constructive possession' to build a SBS? Same principle.

You know, you may be correct. But then again, you may not be. Do you want to litigate it in Federal Court to get an answer? I'm an attorney and I have an AR. I wouldn't have a SBR upper in my house. I always advise my clients to be very conservative when it comes to NFA items. Why throw the dice?

#302221 - 04/04/12 06:21 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

10 years in prison and $250K fine vs. $200 stamp and 180 day wait. Pretty simple math there.

#302225 - 04/04/12 06:24 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
Lincoln7 Offline
Quickdraw

You're right, one should have a SBR lower to have a SBR upper in the house. But if you have multiple ARs, as long as you have at least one registered lower and no loose unregistered lowers you can have extra SBR uppers. Good point, Basenji.

#302226 - 04/04/12 06:26 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
Lincoln7 Offline
Quickdraw

10 years in prison and $250K fine vs. $200 stamp and 180 day wait. Pretty simple math there.

I don't make my decisions in life depending on how expensive the consequences are. I make them based on the legality of it.

#303129 - 04/06/12 10:29 AM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
KoB Offline
Out of Stater

Loc: Nebraska
City or County: Nebraska

180 days... if only!

#314737 - 04/26/12 01:38 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
BuckHijo Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Hampton Roads
City or County: Chesapeake
Ok so I CAN NOT have a short barrel (pistol) upper and a 16" rifle upper with one lower that I swap back and forth. Changing the lower from a rifle lower with a stock to a pistol lower with no stock. I should have a pistol lower (no stock) and a rifle lower (with stock).

I also read somewhere that you can not have a foregrip on a pistol lower, is that true?

Edited by BuckHijo (04/26/12 01:39 PM)

#314739 - 04/26/12 01:40 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: BuckHijo]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
Originally Posted By: BuckHijo
Ok so I CAN NOT have a short barrel (pistol) upper and a 16" rifle upper with one lower that I swap back and forth. Changing the lower from the a rifle lower with a stock to a pistol lower with no stock. I should have a pistol lower (no stock) and a rifle lower (with stock).

I also read somewhere that you can not have a foregrip on a pistol lower, is that true?

Looks correct on all points to me.

#314741 - 04/26/12 01:42 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
BuckHijo Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Hampton Roads
City or County: Chesapeake
Learn new stuff everyday. Glad I did my research before ordering my parts.

#314762 - 04/26/12 02:05 PM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: BuckHijo]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

Originally Posted By: BuckHijo
Ok so I CAN NOT have a short barrel (pistol) upper and a 16" rifle upper with one lower that I swap back and forth. Changing the lower from a rifle lower with a stock to a pistol lower with no stock. I should have a pistol lower (no stock) and a rifle lower (with stock).

You CAN if the lower is registered as a SBR with the ATF. It is best not to have an AR pistol at all if you have an AR rifle.

Correct, you CANNOT put a foregrip (but and angled foregrip like Magpul is okay).

Edited by Immortal Arms (04/26/12 02:06 PM)

#316275 - 04/29/12 07:54 AM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
Lincoln7 Offline
Quickdraw

It is best not to have an AR pistol at all if you have an AR rifle.

What? That's not sound advice. It is perfectly legal to own both an AR rifle and an AR pistol.

#316313 - 04/29/12 09:12 AM Re: Constructive Possession [Re: Immortal Arms]
Immortal Arms Offline
Bullseye

It is perfectly sound advice. This discussion proves it out. The ATF has continued to give conflicting guidance over the years and have left the community in constant doubt about what is and is not legal.

About the only part of the community that is NOT in some possible conflict with the all of the "guidance" on these is the 07/02 FFL/SOTs (like me). We are good no matter which way a member of the law enforcement/judiciary interprets it since our licensing and status allow us to have all the pieces are parts for manufacturing purposes.

I stand by what I said, best not to have both of them around.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >