Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#979829 - 12/09/15 01:51 PM Fairfax County Residents NFA Questions and Discussion
UCDrewICU Offline
Patriot

Loc: Fairfax County
City or County: Fairfax Co.
As a FFX County resident, I thought it would be nice to be able to compile information specifically regarding our county for this not so straightforward process (for newcomers like myself and others too!). I figure as I explore and run into headaches of this tedious undertaking, I thought we could all help to foster a place for learning. I know I would love any of your guy's feedback! I'll start by posting some stuff I already know and what I personally intend to do with my up and coming NFA project.

Here's the Order of Operations as I see it so far:

1) Go to these links to read and download:
FFX Co Sherriff Kincaid Instructions
FFX Co Investigative Questionnaire

2) Complete one's ATF paperwork in full to submit to the Sherriff's Office along with the above questionnaire, self-addressed 8x10 envelope, AND more than 2 weeks of patience

3) If NOT rejected, proceed to submit all returned paperwork (plus $200 check or postal Money Order???) to the appropriate ATF branch (I believe Atlanta office for Form 4 and West Virginia office for From 1?)

NOTES/Questions:
*Sadly, it doesn't seem like one can get a "head start" on the paper-shuffling before acquiring the NFA firearm-to-be. But in this case, I guess it is nice that the FFX Co. Sherriff's office review all of the paperwork in tandem. *Sigh.

I figure I'll engrave the receiver of the firearm right AFTER I get the tax stamp back that way I can hold off if anything comes up. Good idea, bad idea?

For a Short Barreled Rifle, does anyone know of the legality of engraving the barrel (or any other part) of an HK type firearm to keep it kosher? I know of some other spots people have done it but I want to keep it least visible as possible.

Please chime in with corrections or more info! I plan on starting the Fairfax County Permission Slip portion of this process by the end of this month (hopefully). Of course, I intend to keep updating here too. smile

Edited by UCDrewICU (12/09/15 02:19 PM)

#979864 - 12/09/15 03:17 PM Re: Fairfax County Residents NFA Questions and Discussion [Re: UCDrewICU]
Crumpy Offline
Bullseye

Loc: Asburn
City or County: Loudoun
F*CK the questionaire

#979890 - 12/09/15 04:43 PM Re: Fairfax County Residents NFA Questions and Discussion [Re: UCDrewICU]
UCDrewICU Offline
Patriot

I'm right there with you buddy. But that's my reality and hopefully not yours over there in Loudon. *Siiigh. frown

BUT...always keep perspective. We could live in Australia with a 3 year waiting period for a bloody S&W 686 Aussie 3 Year BS

Edited by UCDrewICU (12/10/15 08:07 AM)

#979942 - 12/09/15 06:20 PM Re: Fairfax County Residents NFA Questions and Discussion [Re: UCDrewICU]
PWard Offline
Addicted

Loc: Henrico
City or County: Henrico
I'm a little lost on the post. What are you trying to get do?

I would just send personal check (this is what I did). This way you will know when the ATF cashed the check and that they got the paper work.

You can also do NFA trust, less paper work with local government but cost to set up the trust. If you want a lawyer that does NFA trust let me know and will look for their numbers. I set mine up just over the phone and mail the payment to them.

I learned on my own, with a little help.

#979997 - 12/09/15 08:33 PM Re: Fairfax County Residents NFA Questions and Discussion [Re: UCDrewICU]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192
Watch the language and the cuss filter cheats.

This is your warning

#980131 - 12/10/15 08:08 AM Re: Fairfax County Residents NFA Questions and Discussion [Re: UCDrewICU]
UCDrewICU Offline
Patriot

Sounds like I'll be using a personal check then.