Who's Online
11 registered (DamonL, jrd, wrickster, Osprey, Integrity1957, vanavyman, scout1_502, Capt Gary, 2DG, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1141142 - 01/09/17 09:12 AM garyk
Rick0093 Offline
INSTRUCTOR

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Manassas
After a week of PM's and e-mails I made a 2.5 hr drive to meet up with member garyk in Harrisonburg. We had agreed on a trade of his CZ Scorpion EVO, 2x 20rd mags, and 3x 30rd mags for my Trijicon ACOG M4A1 4x32 scope and 100rds of Rem .223 ammo.

Through out our messages garyk ask some very detailed questions and requested photos of the scope which I provided. I explained that I purchased the scope through my LE employer discount a little over a year ago.
We met at 1pm Sat the 7th at the Wal-Mart. garyk inspected the scope and ammo and I inspected the CZ. We both agreed that we were both happy, shook hands, and parted ways.

I had my 8yr old son with me and spent the rest of the afternoon entertaining him on the long ride back rather than monitoring my cell phone.

When I arrived back home I had a message from garyk stating he had a question about the scope.
Before I could reply I received an extremely rude email from him stated that "You got me" and implying that I had misled and cheated him. He stated that he was having a hard time not being pissed but that he was willing to give me a chance to make it right.
I emailed him back and pointing out that he had "inspected the scope and accepted it" and that it was a "USED" scope but that I would trade back with him if he was that unhappy with the deal. The only condition being is that he would have to make the same drive I did and meet me in Manassas.
He stated that he did not know if or when he could come out that far and ask if I could resolve this some other way or would I take the scope back and give him $650 dollars cash instead.

I told him that I was not putting out any cash and to let me know when he would like to meet to return each others items.
He ask to meet at 10am Sun in Manassas. I suggested the mall and he agreed.

I met up with him and exchanged items, my own fault, I did not thoroughly inspect my scope in the parking lot, when I got home I took it out and discovered when garyk had scraped the finish off of the bottom of the mount. Real class act dude!

Attachments
ACOG.jpg

#1141226 - 01/09/17 11:50 AM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
PM sent to garyk encouraging him to respond.

Others not involved in this transaction are NOT to respond.

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

#1141237 - 01/09/17 12:24 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
garyk Offline
!!!!!

Loc: Augusta County
City or County: Augusta County
It’s interesting that Rick is submitting a negative feedback on me after what he tried to pass off on me.

I will admit here, as I did to Rick, that I failed in not inspecting the scope thoroughly. Before meeting I had asked if it was painted and he said it was as delivered. I had also asked how old it was, and the answer was about a year. On initial inspection I took his word on the above items and only looked for confirmation that the scope was not a fake. I got that confirmation from the serial numbers on the top and by looking at the reticle.

After he left, I almost immediately realized the scope actually had been painted black (taking the adjuster caps off and finding various spots with paint missing). It was originally sand colored. I also noticed that there were grind marks in a location where these scopes had bible verses at one time. They stopped putting the bible verses in the casting in 2010. Also, if a scope has those ground off it typically means it was a military asset. So, both of the things I mentioned above that he claimed, those claims were not true (painted and age). I tried to call him several times and he would not answer.

Today I called Trijicon and they told me the scope was made in 2007 and was sold to the government. Totally misrepresented, and possibly even a stolen unit. I’m not saying it is a stolen unit but if it was originally sold to the government it is unlikely that it’s legitimately floating around outside of government hands.

I do appreciate that he allowed me to swap back. It was a 4 hour round trip to do that, and it could have been avoided at multiple points in this transaction. In the end, the scope is NOT what he claimed to me. And I don’t know anything about any scratches.

Edit to add: I'll supply the s/n for anybody that wants to check with Trijicon themselves.

Edited by garyk (01/09/17 12:33 PM)

#1141245 - 01/09/17 12:45 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
Rick0093 Offline
INSTRUCTOR

You said it you self in the first 2 lines

"Before meeting I had asked if it was painted and he said it was as delivered."

Like I said "Real class act man"

#1141249 - 01/09/17 12:56 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
garyk Offline
!!!!!

Black acogs aren't painted black as delivered new, they're anodized.

The scope in question should have a QR code and some other markings on the left side. You can see the ghost image of these markings under the spray paint finish on this scope. That is not how Trijicon ships these.

Edited by garyk (01/09/17 01:08 PM)

#1141250 - 01/09/17 12:58 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
garyk Offline
!!!!!

And for anyone that doesn't understand why the age is important, it's due to the tritium powered reticle. The tritium in this scope is getting really dim due to the age. It costs over $500 to have Trijicon put new tritium in.

#1141254 - 01/09/17 01:06 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
Rick0093 Offline
INSTRUCTOR

Yeah, It's a used scope. That's why I was trading a $1200 scope for your $700 gun. I never told you it was new, I told you I purchased it through my agency, and that was the finish that was on it when I received it.

#1141256 - 01/09/17 01:11 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
garyk Offline
!!!!!

Sir, you specifically told me it was about a year old. I didn't ask how long you had it, I asked how old it was. You did not tell me you had purchased a used scope about a year ago and that you did not know the age.

Used TA01 scopes in excellent shape that are of similar age to your claim sell for around $700. It's not a $1200 scope, it was an approximately equal trade. Regardless of that, it was misrepresented.

#1141258 - 01/09/17 01:15 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
garyk Offline
!!!!!

None of this arguing over semantics matters. Trijicon says it was made in 2007 and sold to the government. It's actually worth very little due to that because it needs the tritium replaced and if a buyer sends it in to have that done there's a good chance somebody from the gov will come to collect it and they will be out of their money.

#1141268 - 01/09/17 01:42 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
Rick0093 Offline
INSTRUCTOR

Im sure the scratch's were you proving to yourself that you had been taken advantage of.

I made every accommodation to you to make it a smooth trans action up to and including returning your item in the same condition that I received it.

You however did not do the same.

You're just pissed because you're getting called out on it.

You got your gun back, I got my scope.

As a wise man once said "I'm not going to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person"

Have a nice day!

#1141270 - 01/09/17 01:47 PM Re: garyk [Re: Rick0093]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
Both sides have responded. Thread locked.

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln