Who's Online
10 registered (vafred, John92, Skywalking, MountainSmoke, unreel, kellog, LordHobo, kjack, 2 invisible), 9 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1596807 - 02/18/20 06:47 PM New flight student
jondeere Offline
Southern guy

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Mathews
Hey everyone, I'm new to aviation, recently started flight lessons, and interested in making connections and getting to know other pilots around here. Does anyone happen to have any advice or some extra flight gear?

Thanks,
-John

#1596813 - 02/18/20 07:02 PM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
OXN Offline
Reagan Bush '84

City or County: Richmond
Where are you flying? It's a ton of fun, and the entire industry is experiencing a critical shortage of pilots at the moment. Scholarships are sometimes available if you know where to look. As you know already, getting started is certainly not for the faint of wallet.

#1596883 - 02/18/20 10:16 PM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
jondeere Offline
Southern guy

I fly from Hummel Field in Middlesex right now. Where'd I look for scholarships?

I totally agree, It isn't cheap.

#1631813 - 05/04/20 03:19 PM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
Dirtyboys Offline
12g

City or County: Ruther Glen
Hey, just found this thread. I am a new pilot and growing some hours, you will really enjoy this. Hummel is a small runway, you will love coming to a larger one. If your in Richmond look me up mcghee55@gmail.com we will share the cost and i fly at hanover.

#1632466 - 05/06/20 12:01 AM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
panic788 Offline
Marksman

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Alexandria
Not a pilot myself, but saw this pop up the other day. With the lower amount of flight traffic in the air generally, some folks have had fun landing at dulles-iad and baltimore-bwi in their small prop. I guess it would normally be much harder to get into the pattern at non-covid times. Was a fun video to watch even if you don't fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfyCdzW5WqI

#1635402 - 05/12/20 11:27 AM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
jondeere Offline
Southern guy

Since this corona pandemic, my instructor said he had to stop flight instruction till June. Can't wait to get back in the air. I'm also working on getting my drone pilot certificate while I've got the time. Have GA fuel prices dropped due to the virus?

#1644683 - 06/03/20 08:35 PM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
I learned to fly way back in the last century, in Alaska.

The highest high I ever experienced was the day I solo-ed. I was doing a touch-n-go with my instructor when he said, "Pull over at the intersection and let me out - you can go around by yourself.
There was a smile stuck on my face for a week.

The lowest low? The day I was following the shoreline, 500' AGL, looking at bears on the beach and the engine quit.
Carb Icing? Carb heat uses RPM's and I didn't have any to spare!
Pick a spot the set her down, So I picked a spot and lined her up on a very rough beach.

Pump the throttle...

The engine re-fired and I gained 30' before it sputtered. I pumped and it sputtered several times until I got that 150 to it's altitude ceiling. I figured I could glide through the pass and swoop into the airport from that height.

Miraculously, the engine ran smoothly all the way home.
My instructor laughed when I told him about it and said, "I'll bet you had both hands glued to the yoke and a firm hold on the seat cushion with your butt pucker!"
He then explained how rubber bladder fuel tanks hold condensation in their creases and folds and to get that water out of the fuel, grab a wingtip during pre-flight and give the plane a good rocking to wash that water down so it can be drained from the low point.

"I wish someone had warned me about this." I said, looking at him through my eyebrows.
"You will remember, this way" he replied.

I'm passing this little tidbit along to you.

Check out these short take offs and landings.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=slow+takeoff+and+landings%2c+girdwood+alaska&&view=detail&mid=32FBE0EC4441C4C5354932FBE0EC4441C4C53549&rvsmid=80E203507256891F38E380E203507256891F38E3&FORM=VDQVAP

#1683301 - 10/14/20 10:07 AM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
jondeere Offline
Southern guy

Hey guys, Thanks for the info! Loved to hear the stories

My training is going well so far and I hope to get my PPL by the end of the year. Soloing was definitely as fun as everyone says, and due to the old tradition of flight instructors, I lost the tail of a good shirt that day.

The critical pilot shortage of early this year turned into too many pilots when the airlines stopped flying for months. Funny how fast that situation changed.

I'd love to hear if anyone has other stories or advice. Thanks

#1686545 - 10/24/20 09:38 PM Re: New flight student [Re: jondeere]
OXN Offline
Reagan Bush '84

City or County: Richmond
Originally Posted By: jondeere
Hey guys, Thanks for the info! Loved to hear the stories

My training is going well so far and I hope to get my PPL by the end of the year. Soloing was definitely as fun as everyone says, and due to the old tradition of flight instructors, I lost the tail of a good shirt that day.

The critical pilot shortage of early this year turned into too many pilots when the airlines stopped flying for months. Funny how fast that situation changed.

I'd love to hear if anyone has other stories or advice. Thanks

Got my PPL and instrument recently, finishing my commercial right now. Just like the rest of the economy, the industry is changing- but with that, a lot of sectors are growing rather than contracting. Private and executive aviation are more popular than ever. And, a lot of that wave of pilots that were getting ready to retire have had that process pushed forward y this whole thing. So, not all doom and gloom. That's the opinion of a 737 captain I know pretty well as well as several of the CFIs I fly with.