Who's Online
172 registered (2DG, 1Hawkeye, bigcannon12, Davester, Bcmgunfighter, Algotguns, DamonL, chip2592, 83Rabbit, CombatMagnum, BigShootR, chief, bat21, Bertro77, DanX, 2DaMtns, AgLining, 6mmslayer, Brandon91393, bud1967, Danny007, Colorado, bcbigbuck, 2030, 730WATERS, cosmicelvis, AIM_BUT_I_STILL_MISS, Aaron94, cartoonist, D-Stuts, Agiads, 1DEUCE, Com 45acp, Alfredo, BenAndersen, 49 invisible), 1456 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1649906 - 06/17/20 01:10 AM Fishing for the Big Ones
Downhillshot Offline
Marksman

Registered: 12/31/11
Posts: 360
Loc: Mechanicsville
City or County: Hanover
How does everyone rig for gar, catfish, bowfin, etc?
_________________________
**USE THE MARK TOPIC SOLD BUTTON**

Top
#1691090 - 11/08/20 10:35 PM Re: Fishing for the Big Ones [Re: Downhillshot]
panic788 Offline
Marksman

Registered: 08/29/13
Posts: 392
Loc: NOVA
City or County: Alexandria
I know this is an old post, but better late than never.

I haven't caught anything that I would call particularly big, only catfish up to 15lbs. Generally, 20lb leader to a 1oz sinker to a 1/0 hook. Have it rigged off 40lb braid. Have another setup with 12lb with a small weight and #6 hook.

The smaller rig has definitely caught more fish over all, lending credence to the "big hooks can catch big fish, but small hooks catch fish".

I don't have a boat so it's all been bank fishing and wading in some streams.

Top
#1706814 - 12/23/20 04:08 AM Re: Fishing for the Big Ones [Re: Downhillshot]
Downhillshot Offline
Marksman

Registered: 12/31/11
Posts: 360
Loc: Mechanicsville
City or County: Hanover
No such thing as an old post. And the only boats I play with are non motorized. And like yourself have found that the smaller hooks tend to catch pretty much everything.
_________________________
**USE THE MARK TOPIC SOLD BUTTON**

Top