Who's Online
3 registered (adv_rider, Targets_Only, Kegron), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1811260 - 10/06/21 06:25 PM Alternate finish for a Parkerized lever gun
Shinoda Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Falls Church
I have a Marlin 336 that came Parkerized from the factory. That being said, I've seen friends guns that were Parkerized and got mad rusty from moisture conditions in the field that are pretty common in the area that I live in/have lived in/want to live in. I am looking for a more elements-resistant finish for the entire rifle, except for the furniture. I plan to replace the original wood furniture with aluminium and polymer alternatives.

I'm looking into alternate finishes like black nitride, Cerakote, etc,. I realize all guns need to be re-finished if you use them, so it would be helpful to have something that can be readily re-applied (i.e., isn't too hard to find a competent gunsmith to get it done in the area, whether its Virginia or another state).

In addition, I want to make sure that whatever finish I'm looking at isn't compromised/more difficult to apply because its going over Parkerizing.

Any thoughts on 1) what alternate finish would best suit my needs and 2) if there's a competent gunsmith in VA who could get it done at a fair price?

P.S. Please don't tell me to keep the Parkerizing,

Click: Mark Topic Sold

Click: Mark Topic Sold

#1811261 - 10/06/21 06:38 PM Re: Alternate finish for a Parkerized lever gun [Re: Shinoda]
Colonfree Offline
Redacted

Loc: VA
City or County: Seaford
this guy does great work

check his other posts for more examples of his work.

homeland security: I cant believe with all the people in this country they can get that many dummys in one place at one time.

#1811263 - 10/06/21 06:40 PM Re: Alternate finish for a Parkerized lever gun [Re: Shinoda]
bigfwguy **SCAMMER BANNED** Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Pulaski County
I'M A SCAMMER DOOFUS AND GOT BANNED.

MY ANSWER WASN'T EVEN CLOSE TO HELPFUL ANYWAY.

#1811601 - 10/07/21 07:58 PM Re: Alternate finish for a Parkerized lever gun [Re: Shinoda]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
NP3 on the action at least (while you can still get it). Smoothest stuff in town.

#1815321 - 10/18/21 06:21 PM Re: Alternate finish for a Parkerized lever gun [Re: Shinoda]
Shooterguy Offline
Sharp Shooter

Loc: Loudoun County, VA
City or County: Leesburg
Give Donnie Austin a call at Three Oaks Cerakote & Laser in Orange, VA. He is the President and Owner and will give you the best of the best. He can be reached at 540-507-9866. He's cerakoting 2 pistols for me now.

Shooterguy