Who's Online
11 registered (KC1, cvo springer, Gets, BishopofBling, D24T11, cadi86, Shooterguy, Topcat, cummins01, 2 invisible), 11 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#267683 - 02/04/12 06:56 AM Requirements to sell a AR 15
Vesuvio Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Alexandria, VA
Does anyone know what are the requirements to sell a AR-15 to a private buyer?
Thank you

#267930 - 02/04/12 04:32 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Vesuvio]
BOM1911 Offline
( . Y . )

Loc: VA
City or County: Chesterfield County
Agree to a price and meeting spot, exchange firearm, carry on.

#268025 - 02/04/12 07:38 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: BOM1911]
cadi86 Online   mad
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Cape Charles,Va
City or County: Northampton
I second that! It's your gun do what you want with it!

#269423 - 02/07/12 12:07 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: cadi86]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Springfield
I would make sure the buyer signs a bill of sell and take a picture of two id's just so that if something happens, it doesn come back and bit you in the rearend.
Just my .02 cent.

#269426 - 02/07/12 12:20 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: v8unleashed]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

No problem there.

#269429 - 02/07/12 12:31 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: v8unleashed]
cadi86 Online   mad
Tactical Tommy Commando

Y won't u be doing business with him? Explain your requirements

#269496 - 02/07/12 03:37 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Vesuvio]
BOM1911 Offline
( . Y . )

The OP posted, in the "Laws" section, that he was looking for the "requirements" to sell a gun. Isn't it safe to assume he was looking for the legal requirements, not other's made up requirements?

To the OP, don't be offended if some don't allow you to copy personal information. Some don't like having their information in the hands of strangers.

Edited by bom1911 (02/07/12 03:38 PM)

#269503 - 02/07/12 03:50 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: BOM1911]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

I did not make up "my requirement", this is what the state police requieres for you to show evidence that you have sold the firearm. Anything short of that you might have a harde time proving that you got rid of it.
But hey, what are the chances of something like that happening.

Edited by vasiggie (02/07/12 03:51 PM)

#269510 - 02/07/12 04:06 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
v8unleashed Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: nova
City or County: nova
Originally Posted By: vasiggie
I did not make up "my requirement", this is what the state police requieres for you to show evidence that you have sold the firearm. Anything short of that you might have a harde time proving that you got rid of it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "require" it. Do you mean the VSP asks for it during an investigation? Because "asking" is different than "requiring." Or do they have some basis in statute or regulation? If so, please give us a citation (let me save you the trouble, it does not exist). Or are you simply being careless with your words?

A private seller who has no FFL is not required to keep any records of dispositions of firearms, either under federal or state law. Any records you choose to keep are exactly that --- a personal choice. Or, as bom1911 put it, "your requirement."

#269518 - 02/07/12 04:16 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
I did not make up "my requirement",

Yes you did.

#269525 - 02/07/12 04:31 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: JG]
cadi86 Online   mad
Tactical Tommy Commando

I agree 100% like I said it's your gun do what you want with it. There is no laws that say an requirements or regulations for private owners to sell there weapons now if the owner decides he/she won't sell unles ids and bill of sale are completed that's is fine to but there is no law that says u have to.

#269541 - 02/07/12 05:06 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
BOM1911 Offline
( . Y . )

Can you provide a cite to VA code identifying a seller requirement to keep a signed bill of sale and photographs of two pieces of buyer ID? If not, those are your requirements and not the law.

#269883 - 02/08/12 07:44 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: petwharmer]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
Originally Posted By: petwharmer
I would make sure the buyer signs a bill of sell and take a picture of two id's just so that if something happens, it doesn come back and bit you in the rearend.
Just my .02 cent.

Why not just get a polaroid of you handing him the gun.
great idea.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#269897 - 02/08/12 08:38 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: rromeo]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

can you get polaroids anymore?? that might be the way to go, wait, how about recording it with your camera.

#269898 - 02/08/12 08:38 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: BOM1911]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

can you define what proper paperwork is??

Edited by vasiggie (02/08/12 08:40 AM)

#269956 - 02/08/12 10:30 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

City or County: 22973

IMHO, proper paper work is my asking price in cash and a BOS w/ minimal PII if both parties agree to it before hand.

In VA only requirements:

Not knowingly selling to a prohibted person.
and
The seller and buyer of a firearm must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs for a FTF transaction.

All of this can be confirmed on VSP's webiste and or a call to VSP.
Or you can search VA LIS for laws pertaining to firearms.

What you posted isn't the law for private transactions.

I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#269965 - 02/08/12 10:54 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
BOM1911 Offline
( . Y . )

"Proper paperwork" for a private sale according to VA code and/or US code? I know of no law requiring one to keep any paperwork. Do you?

Edited by bom1911 (02/08/12 11:01 AM)

#270059 - 02/08/12 01:49 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: BOM1911]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

I have asked the VSP and Fairfax County, and their definition of proper paperwork was bill of sale and a copy of two forms of ID. And VSP have gone as far as saying that i would need to make sure that the recipiant is qualify to buy a firearm, FX county has no mention of this.

Besides dont you have both parties address on the BOS???

My point, we can read the law and everybody has a different interpretation of it. Not even the agencies that are suppose to oversee theese laws are in agreement with eachother.

I reather take the extra step and cover my rear end then have to bend over, if you know what i mean.

Edited by vasiggie (02/08/12 02:05 PM)

#270062 - 02/08/12 01:52 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Agent19]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

[quote=Agent19
........cash and a BOS w/ minimal PII if both parties agree to it before hand.

[/quote]

What does this mean?

#270067 - 02/08/12 02:08 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
[quote=Agent19
........cash and a BOS w/ minimal PII if both parties agree to it before hand.

What does this mean? [/quote]

I believe he is referring to personal identification info.

Also, Fairfax and VSP do not make the laws and them telling you that you need to get 2 copies of DL is, quite frankly, VERY irresponsible of them. Identity theft is a reality and copies of identifying docs are the best thing the meth-head who robs your house and steals the BOS (which now gives him an idea of a house he might be able to rob where he can steal a gun) AND copies of IDs can possibly find.

If you feel like you need a document to cover yourself, get a bill of sale with Name of buyer, date of sale, serial number of gun, and City/ST of buyer - you both sign it and you both get a copy. Check that buyer's ID to make sure he is a VA resident. That's it and that will be enough for any law enforement officer that might come knocking. All that being said, NONE of that is lawfully required.

#270068 - 02/08/12 02:11 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

City or County: 22973
I have asked the VSP and Fairfax County, and their definition of proper paperwork was bill of sale and a copy of two forms of ID.

IMHO, they gave you their opinion, as I believe they are prohibted from giving legal advice on an offical level.
Next time anyone tells you it's the law ask for cite to VA code as to these requirements.

PII= Personal Identifing Information

If the buyer or seller reguest I let them verify I have a VA DL, but I cover my address, DOB and DL #.
On the BOS if requested I provide first, last, make, model, serial #, date of transaction, city of residence and cell # and ask for theirs (if you get mine I get yours).
But none of this is required under VA or Federal law for private transactions.

There are several types of BOS's floating on here. I like member "user" for his legal statement but only provide the above info.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#270089 - 02/08/12 02:44 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: JG]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

Any State and locality can make laws overseen firearms if they see fit even if they are different from federal law.

Identity theft occurs every where. Thieves may be tring to steel our identity as we speak (type) by trying to hack into this forum or others, our online bank account, thieves may rob a gun shop as well as a your residence and steel your identity there. But identiy theft is more related with SSNs theft not with addresses and phone number.

Perhps you are right you might not need two forms of id on a private sell, and i consider Agent19 an authority on this because i know he works in gunshop but i will still fill better riquesting two ids, just because thats what i was advised to do by both VSP and Fx county.

Edited by vasiggie (02/08/12 02:45 PM)

#270096 - 02/08/12 02:56 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
BOM1911 Offline
( . Y . )

I have asked the VSP and Fairfax County, and their definition of proper paperwork was bill of sale and a copy of two forms of ID. And VSP have gone as far as saying that i would need to make sure that the recipiant is qualify to buy a firearm, FX county has no mention of this.

My point, we can read the law and everybody has a different interpretation of it. Not even the agencies that are suppose to oversee theese laws are in agreement with eachother.

I reather take the extra step and cover my rear end then have to bend over, if you know what i mean.

I think we get your point. Your preference is to keep some documents because the VSP has suggested it to you. I don't see anyone trying to stop you.

My point, since you have missed it, is that the OP was looking for the legal requirements. Your preference and the legal requirements are not the same.

Here is a good reference site to read the laws. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC

Do a search for bill of sale and let us know what you find.

To answer your question about addresses on a bill of sale, no.

#270312 - 02/08/12 08:13 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: BOM1911]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
you have a guy you dont know offer to buy your AR

you meet him and he gives you cash, you hand over the gun, both go on their way.

A month from now the ATF shows up at your door and wants to know why an AR registered yo you was found at a crime scene in New York.

What do you tell the ATF?

If you covered your @ss you checked the ID of the buyer to make sure he was a Virginia resident. Then you got a bill of sale with his name/address.

Then you hand that bill of sale over to the ATF and tell them "go see this guy".

or you can say...."I sold it to some guy"

your choice !!!!

We did have a member here that sold a handgun here and it was found at a crime scene in NY. He got a bill of sale but lost it and couldnt help the law when they came to his home.

#270318 - 02/08/12 08:18 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: VaGunTrader]
cadi86 Online   mad
Tactical Tommy Commando

Well id tell them to finger print it! And then have my alibi straight. This is Va you don't have to do sh** to sell the Damb thing except meat the person use good judgement and if you want sell it then go on about your way. Not saying that it's not a bad idea to get a bos but when it comes down to it if I didn't do anything wrong with it screw the ATF. If they have evidence that you where there there will be no questions ur MY BEARD IS HUNGRY! will be going with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >