Who's Online
4 registered (sig_sr, Kegron, robinus, mountainman54), 8 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#314322 - 04/25/12 08:10 PM Cove campgrounds/ shooting range
JoeShmoe Offline
Full Auto

Loc: va
City or County: fairfax
Yet another vagt friendly business! 12 miles outside of winchester Va is the all around best campground in Virginia. A 50+ year old family run business that understands and provides what campers, hikers, fisherman and off road enthusiast are looking for in a first class facility.

They offer

3,000 acres that any avid outdoors man would appriciate with altitudes from one to three thousand feet.

Crystal clear lakes stocked with fish

38 plus miles of atv trails for the beginner to the expert rider

Your choice of camping from large fields, secluded campsites to lakefront cabins

A great shooting range that is included in the camping fee

Off road jeep events

and so much more

Overall it is one of the last great campgrounds in the state. If you have never been to the cove I highly suggest you make a trip for the weekend. A few members have traveled long distances for events and have been very impressed with the cove and what it has to offer. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.covecampground.com/
http://www.motocove.com/
http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.html - does all of the coves jeep events

#328302 - 05/20/12 01:53 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
Banana Offline
Whatever

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Hampton
I haven't camped there yet but is is on my list.

#332840 - 06/03/12 07:13 AM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

City or County: Ashland
A guy from my office building was outside with me last week just talking. He goes every weekend apparently. Seems like a great place. I'll definitely have to check it out. He did say to get to the range, you better have 4 wheel drive!

#336005 - 06/08/12 04:46 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: DRDinthe703]
Olivers_AR Offline
Single barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Dulles
Roger that on a 4x4 or something that has high ground clearance. Bring your own target stands and watch your 6, there are no ROs there.

Originally Posted By: DelRayDan
A guy from my office building was outside with me last week just talking. He goes every weekend apparently. Seems like a great place. I'll definitely have to check it out. He did say to get to the range, you better have 4 wheel drive!

#347351 - 06/28/12 05:09 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
kittyhawk90 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Loudon County, VA
City or County: HOME
Fun place to go, Watch your 6 on the Range no RSO. Last time I went I had to school some Kids who were drinking beer and shooting. We had to make a ad-hock firing line since people were all over the place and walking down to set up targets and people were still shooting.

Great off roading also....

#347362 - 06/28/12 05:43 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
kittyhawk90 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Loudon County, VA
City or County: HOME
Fun place to go, Watch your 6 on the Range no RSO. Last time I went I had to school some Kids who were drinking beer and shooting. We had to make a ad-hock firing line since people were all over the place and walking down to set up targets and people were still shooting.

Great off roading also....

#372058 - 08/11/12 12:58 AM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
theBEAR Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Aldie
City or County: Loudoun
The Cove is an awesome campground and the range is affectionately known among me and my friends as "hillbilly heaven." I only wish I could go more often!

Definitely keep an eye on everybody else there at the range. I haven't heard of any incidents, but I'm always wary of the other shooters while I am there. Every time I have been up there everybody has been really nice and we end up shooting some pretty cool weapons, but you just never know . . .

Dont budge an inch on our 2nd Amendment rights!!

VCDL Member
NRA Member

#378465 - 08/21/12 10:30 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
Travis_M Offline
Double barrel

Loc: NoVa
City or County: Herndon
+1 on the range being amazing! I was able to make it up 2x with my Pontiac Vibe... slow and steady is the key if you don't have a 4x4.

#378477 - 08/21/12 10:54 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
JoeShmoe Offline
Full Auto

Loc: va
City or County: fairfax
Road to the shooting range is now graded and you can drive a car up the mountain. the range has been changed (larger) and there is now a rather large parking lot!

Edited by JoeShmoe (01/04/13 06:48 PM)

#709712 - 04/12/14 11:47 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
FrontRoyalty Offline
Sear Pack Ready

Loc: Northern VA
City or County: Linden
I ride my dirt bikes there all the time. Never been to the range.

#856797 - 02/13/15 09:39 AM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
KnightRiot Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Woodbridge
When winter passes, I'm definitely making a trip out to The Cove!

#865600 - 03/02/15 09:40 AM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
carp Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Winchester
City or County: Winchester
In my experience, if you want to primarily 4x4 or primarily shoot at improvised tragets and camping is secondary, than it cant be beat. But if camping with the family or young kids is primary with clean facilities and quiet times for sleeping, check it out first. I love a good playground for doing dude things, but the wife was less than impressed. Make sure you scout it out before your trip to see if its your thing if you have kids with you.
Just my observation, and observations vary.

#938512 - 08/23/15 09:22 AM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
Koenreich Offline
Tax Stamp Collector

Loc: Hampton Roads
City or County: Hampton
My wife and I will be taking our next trip there.

Under no circumstances will I do a deal with Paul Gagni, from Virginia Beach. Buyers and sellers beware of this guy.

#965025 - 11/01/15 12:09 PM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
eddiewelder Offline
GUN POOR

Loc: Nottoway Va.
City or County: Crewe
The last trip up to the Cove was great. We were there for the Big Dog event and saw every!! size 4x4 and rock crawler you can imagine. This was probably my best trip yet. All day Saturday at the range and half the night watching Rock Crawlers climb the Big Rock event, a lot got messed up very cool. Made several good friends here and we are planning another trip come spring so I hope more VAGT members will attend. They have bath houses and primitive camping, also near office there are electric sites. For those that like to eat out there is a great restaurant a few miles up the road that has some great country cooking and very cheap for what you get.

#1769551 - 05/31/21 10:33 AM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
Packerjay23 Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Lee County
I would really love to go there with my family

#1775454 - 06/17/21 09:57 AM Re: Cove campgrounds/ shooting range [Re: JoeShmoe]
PDride **SCAMMER BANNED** Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Buchanan County
Thanks for sharing, Next trip with family sorted