Who's Online
7 registered (ultra_zero, Edmund, invicta, SuzyKyoo, carpetmuncher, JamesChang, 1 invisible), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#435966 - 12/12/12 09:28 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Loc: just south of Richmond,VA
City or County: tri cities
Plan B - employment of a convincing blanket of undeniability guar-ran-teed to get the point across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBXkbX0z3o

Federal workers may be a tad more dense in composition though.

(that's just between us)
Prepping is good, but prepping without Jesus is like drilling holes in the boat. Acts 2:37-38/Proverbs 1:24-33
-----------

#438250 - 12/17/12 11:04 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
JoeShmoe Offline
Full Auto

Loc: va
City or County: fairfax
Some of the the users just cant get the concept of reading the rules. My suggestion is to warn once then ban them from posting in the for sale section if it is possible until they contact a mod and explain they fully understand the rules. And possibly for the extremely stubborn a multiple choice quiz is needed (ha). Some people on here are way to dense or just don't respect the free forum they have joined and continue to make offers via the reply function. I can see a new member doing it once but after that there is no excuse.

In hindsight thanks to led, vagt and all the mods for spending time keeping the f/s section as clean as possible with the non stop barrage of users whom can't comprehend.

#438258 - 12/17/12 11:29 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: JoeShmoe]
usmcdoc14 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Suffolk
City or County: Suffolk
It kinda sucks that I can no longer have people post in the thread prior to PMing me. It does keep the butthurtness down and no one feels something got sold "from under them" when it clearly shows who was "in line" or "next"

#439094 - 12/18/12 03:25 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
big1400 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: va
City or County: chesapeake
how do you pm mail a member to make an offer theres no ouick link at the bottom,im new thanks

#439409 - 12/18/12 10:17 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Click on their screen name. One of the options exposed will be "send PM". PM a mod (guys screen name in light blue) if you ever need help. Welcome to the site.
Prepping is good, but prepping without Jesus is like drilling holes in the boat. Acts 2:37-38/Proverbs 1:24-33
-----------

#442196 - 12/22/12 04:00 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
surlycmd Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Norfolk
How do I add the location in the subject line of a new post?

#443418 - 12/24/12 02:21 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: surlycmd]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

It's supposed to be automated. If it's not showing, it may be a glitch or maybe not enough posts on your part yet. Not sure.

As long as your profile lists your location, you're good to go.
-----------

#444087 - 12/25/12 12:32 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
oodles-of-noodles Offline
Full Auto

Loc: NoVA
City or County: Fairfax
There seems to be some contradiction with the rules of the site. I understand people have not been following the rules on PMing offers and Mods have removed the reply option to many posts. This poses a problem with the original stated rules above in the OP of allowing questions that you feel would help the community. Moderators please solve this problem by either allowing legitiamate questions to be posted or changing the rules above.

IMO, we are a community here and we should be able to post either to correct or ask for clarification. Lately there have been too many people taking advantage of the fears of people and trying to list items with untruthful or ill intentions to make a fast buck.
"Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost." Heinlein

#444097 - 12/25/12 04:31 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

The decision (and ability) to remove the option to reply to for sale posts was an administrative one and not done by the mods (although we approve it). And you are correct in that there is and has been a GIGANTIC problem, especially of late. That of repeated violations of rules already posted - posting PM sent / long inquiries and offers / illegal - questionable bumps / and especially of late ... bashing of members posts. These rules already in place that prohibited this but the onslaught continued regardless with a fever pitch. Enough already.

I had nearly 90 PM's and notifications to deal with night before last and could hardly get caught up as they steadily poured in. After almost 4 hours and finally finishing, I called it a night. This is ridiculous.

If you have a legit question, PM the OP and request he update his post with the relevant answer so it doesn't get continually asked (or maybe if it does, they'll buy a clue and post it to halt the inflow).

True, there are many money grubbers coming onboard to make a quick buck - how is this different than in life in general ? Yes, there is a core community here but one cannot expect caps to be set on prices. Who is gonna define said cap ? In all instances ? That is a debate that will never end and a work load that would never get completed (maybe that's OK from your perspective but it wont work from this end). Talk about a log jam and site inefficiency to function.

I believe as ATF (member - mod) has posted elsewhere ... if it's priced too high, it'll stagnate and rot on the vine. It will become obvious to all that there must be something wrong with this post. This site has grown considerably and we put in great effort to make it run as smoothly as possible ... but you have to realize that not everybody will be happy with every decision made 100 % of the time. It is impossible.

If it don't suit you (and it don't me - I will not buy from them) - ignore it and move on. Remember that no one pays to use this site - and no one gets paid to work here either. We do the best we are able.
-----------

#444122 - 12/25/12 08:34 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
RIAO Offline
Plinker

Loc: Newport News/ Disputanta
City or County: Newport News/ South Prince George
What about people that only want to trade

#444187 - 12/25/12 12:51 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Full Auto

I think the majority of people here understands that the free market market with fix itself. However, do we want this site to become a runaway panic site like gunbroker? Yes, certain people have inflated prices and values on certain items. Many of these prices are reasonable based on the demand but there are those that are blatantly here to take advantage of others. By not allowing some ability to engage posters with reasonable dialog for the rest of the community to see removes an aspect of policing that will only encourage others with ill intentions to flock to this site.

I came to this site on recommendation from fellow members because the community here is fair, truthful and helpful. Since several weeks ago it has exceeded these recommendations.
"Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost." Heinlein

#444190 - 12/25/12 01:05 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Well dang Oodles ... my apologies that your expectations of perfection have not come to fruition. And for the fact that I've not taken a democratically based, site wide poll of member opinions on every "gouger" to see if the majority agree that they are indeed doing so. Because if I don't get everyones vote, someone is bound to be offended. Did you really just read everything I posted and honestly consider it ? I'm here on Christmas day to make sure there are no problems and to see if anyone is in need. Deal with the good guys man and flip the page on the rest. Life goes on ...

Not sure what you mean RIAO. If a poster wants to trade, he'll list it as such in his title or spell it out in his post. If you want to know whether or not they'll consider a trade if it's not posted as such, send 'em a PM.
-----------

#444194 - 12/25/12 01:25 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
I turned off the ability for members to reply in the FOR SALE section. The asking prices for ARs and Mags have gone through the roof. $5000 for an AR that was selling for $800 10 days ago...come on. The value has gone up but not that much. Some people are over doing it and its angering members here. Lots of members are venting in the posts and the mods have their hands full keeping it clean.

When things cool down I'll turn the replies back on.

#444255 - 12/25/12 06:27 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Full Auto

Led, I was mearly expressing my frustrations and the frustrations I have been seeing with many members here. This post is a discussion on the rules and policies. I found that certain actions needed clarification. At no point did I say that the moderators were not doing a good job. I commend you on taking time on your holiday to run this website.

Of course niether you nor the Admin can enact policies that will satify everyone in this forum and I agree that it would be wrong to set price caps. However people should be required to justify their prices. If it is "gunbroker has it for $X more" or "so and so site has it sold out" then so be it. This will at least give potential buyers something to consider on the actual value of the item being sold.

Edited by oodles-of-noodles (12/25/12 06:30 PM)

#444335 - 12/25/12 11:18 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: oodles-of-noodles]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

I hear ya man and I apologize if I came across as being short with ya. I think we've all been stretched to the snapping point lately. Tell ya what - if it gets much worse, we've got several barrels of hickory handles (think Clint Eastwood) back here for "hard case" attitude adjustments and we'll pass 'em out to deal with them rascals if it comes to that.

Deal ?
-----------

#444348 - 12/26/12 12:00 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Full Auto

Sounds like a plan.

#444503 - 12/26/12 02:50 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
spotshuntclub Offline
Bullet Supply

Loc: VA
so, i cannot bump my posts anymore. is that the way we are keeping it?

https://www.facebook.com/bbreloadingsupplies

#444527 - 12/26/12 03:55 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: spotshuntclub]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Originally Posted By: spotshuntclub
so, i cannot bump my posts anymore. is that the way we are keeping it?

I hope not and the push is to get it where just the OP can bump - with the 24 hour duration back in place.

It being the holidays and all man ... give us a lil time to work it out. The lock down was to try and get a handle on things.
-----------

#444545 - 12/26/12 04:30 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
spotshuntclub Offline
Bullet Supply

Loc: VA
ok, i just realized it and was wondering if you guys had intended to have it that way or my profile was messed up

https://www.facebook.com/bbreloadingsupplies

#444662 - 12/26/12 08:35 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
disposablehero Offline
Mossberg fan

Loc: South Side Virginia, USA
City or County: Nottoway
I do appreciate all that you guys do, and thank you for allowing me to be a member of the site. I can't believe how hard you guys work in your "spare time" to keep this whole thing in check. Thanks for your hard work!

#445098 - 12/27/12 08:54 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
devildog66 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Botetourt
Thank for keeping us informed. I had wondered what had happened to the response settings.

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” H.L. Mencken

#445167 - 12/27/12 11:25 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

I believe the agreed upon plan is to replace the reply button at the bottom of each post with a PM button - which will go straight to the OP. Only the OP can reply / bump his own post, with the usual 24 hour stipulation back in place. What with the gun world doing flip flops here lately and the simultaneous holiday season ... communications between us behind the scenes is spotty at best with everyone having their own life outside of this site.

We will get it straight - yall hang with us and thanks for your understanding.
-----------

#446241 - 12/30/12 02:40 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Smokewagon Offline
Smokewagon

Loc: Chesterfield, VA
City or County: Midlothian
I have been a member for better than a year. I use the site to compare prices mostly. And, I have bought a couple of things.

Last week, I posted my first two items and sold them both within a week for 90% of the asking price. And...that was without the ability to refresh my posts.

Quality firearms, priced correctly will sell. The influx of new members seems to come with its own challenges, but I think we should all welcome the increased market size. More lookers makes for better sales prices and/or more liquidity and hopefully more ad revenue; delaying the day this becomes a fee site.

#447017 - 01/01/13 10:33 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
guitarpicva Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Matoaca
City or County: Chesterfield
You might consider limiting the length of replies to some meaningful minimum length, so the "nice gun" comments are not allowed and the user is prompted with an error that includes the "rules" on posting replies.

#447021 - 01/01/13 10:53 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Seems you mighta missed all the fireworks that led up to the "perfect storm" concerning this matter man ! This has been an ongoing problem for some time and it finally culminated during the last week. The tweaks are nearly complete and the result of much thought and discussion. The rules put into place were repeatedly violated and the soon to be site results were something that should of been implemented long ago. Thanks for your concern and patience.
-----------

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >