Who's Online
12 registered (oscar1, Payne28, NeedHomeDefense, BenAndersen, Nacholibre, dirtjumper895, kkok, LuckyDuck94, 4 invisible), 34 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#680773 - 02/18/14 10:49 PM Remington R-1 1911 take-down questions
breachandclear Offline
Addicted

Loc: Alexandria
City or County: Fairfax
Hey 1911 aficionados,

I have a Remington R-1 1911 and am having a take-down issue.

I have to pull the slide back slightly in order to rotate the bushing to the left or right.

Upon disassembly, I have to pull the slide back about 1/4 inch and then the bushing rotates with ease.

For re-assembly, I have to do the same thing.

No 1911 assembly instructions have ever indicated anything about this. I am wondering if this is specific to the R-1 model or if it has something to do with the gun having tight specifiications due to it not being broken in.

I have had no issues firing the weapon however. Just wanna make sure I'm not doing anything wrong that might damage the weapon.

Keep in mind I am doing this with my barehands and no tool. I have used the tool and it has helped a bit, but required a bit of force that appeared unnatural with the takedown of a 1911. It appears that when the slide is fully in battery that there is pressure on the barrel that tilts it down. That makes it seem like there would be pressure applied to the bushing and keeping it tight. This is just my observation. I have no idea what I'm talking about though.

THanks!

Edited by breachandclear (02/18/14 11:19 PM)

#681178 - 02/19/14 06:13 PM Re: Remington R-1 1911 take-down questions [Re: breachandclear]
Greginva Offline
Marksman

Loc: Partlow, VA
City or County: Spotsylvania
You're not doing anything wrong...the pistol is new. The bushing is supposed to fit tight on the end of the barrel. The end of the barrel is "swelled", which is why when you pull the slide back a little the bushing is easier to turn. It may loosen up a little after it's broken in, but what you are doing now is fine.