Who's Online
12 registered (bigcannon12, GrantG, Too, rap, BenAndersen, bh2win, kccallstar, r50140, NACHO944, GreenArrow08, 2 invisible), 6 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#828168 - 12/14/14 11:04 AM HERE COMES GUN CONTROL
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
Guys....We need to stand up against this!!
We need to let the law makers here in Va know this isn't acceptable!!

Or we can do nothing and let it happen....and will grow worse.

LOBBY DAY - JANUARY 19 2015 - we need to make our stand!!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virg...0beb_story.html

RICHMOND — Gov. Terry McAuliffe on Monday will call for a package of gun restrictions in Virginia, including a renewal of the state’s one-a-month limit on handgun purchases and a requirement that buyers at gun shows undergo background checks.

McAuliffe will also propose keeping guns away from people convicted of crimes related to domestic violence and revoking concealed-handgun permits for parents who are behind on child-support payments.

McAuliffe (D) will unveil his plan during a speech in Arlington County the day after the two-year anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, according to a news release provided to The Washington Post.

While campaigning for governor last year, McAuliffe veered from the playbook of Democrats seeking statewide office, pushing openly for gun control and other liberal causes, including abortion rights and action to mitigate climate change.

Such issues had been off-limits even for many Democrats in the historically conservative state, but McAuliffe capitalized on Virginia’s changing demographics, speaking directly to liberal and moderate voters in the Washington suburbs who helped Democrats sweep last year’s three statewide races.

It will be harder for McAuliffe to persuade the Republican-controlled General Assembly to give up any ground on Second Amendment issues, especially as some fend off challenges from the right. But the governor is betting that the mass shootings at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Conn., and at Virginia Tech in 2007 make it politically toxic for Republicans in more moderate districts to oppose the measures.

“As Governor, there is no greater responsibility than ensuring the health and safety of the citizens I serve,” McAuliffe said in the release. “Our Commonwealth and our nation have seen too many tragedies as a result of dangerous weapons getting into the hands of the wrong people. These common-sense proposals will keep guns out of the hands of criminals, will keep our communities safe, and will help to build a new Virginia economy.”

Shortly after taking office, McAuliffe attempted to shore up his base by amending a GOP-backed handgun bill. The change, which would have required Virginians who store guns in their cars to use “locked” containers, was rejected by House Republicans, and McAuliffe then vetoed the bill.

Monday’s gun-control proposals represent a more methodical approach by the governor, who in May signed a bill sponsored by Sen. Bryce E. Reeves (R-Spotsylvania) allowing gun dealers to use a state police database to see if a gun has been used in a felony before they make a purchase. The law takes effect Jan. 1.

A limit on purchases to one gun per month became law in 1993 under Gov. L. Douglas Wilder (D), but it was repealed during the tenure of Republican Robert F. McDonnell nearly two decades later.

The news release from McAuliffe’s office, which says the governor is a “gun owner and supporter of the Second Amendment,” praises the limit as a way to “prevent dangerous people from stockpiling and trafficking dangerous weapons.”

Gun rights advocates have argued that restricting ownership would not have stopped high-profile Virginia shootings for which mentally ill individuals were responsible, such as the Virginia Tech case and the tragedy that struck Sen. R. Creigh Deeds and his family last year.

After the Bath County Democrat’s son stabbed his father and then fatally shot himself, lawmakers passed a package of bills, which the governor signed, aimed at improving access to mental-health services.

Citing American Journal of Public Health research that the administration says shows that women are much more likely to be killed in domestic-violence situations when a gun is present, McAuliffe would ban anyone subject to a protection-from-abuse order from having a gun.

The ban would also apply to anyone convicted of certain misdemeanors, such as stalking, sexual battery, assault and battery against a family member and brandishing a firearm, as well as anyone with two or more assault and battery convictions.

This measure is intended to eliminate what advocates call a loophole in state law that allows possession of guns by such offenders in Virginia, according to the governor’s office.

McAuliffe would also revoke concealed-handgun permits for parents who are delinquent on child-support payments. There are currently about 9,000 such people, and they owe more than $15 million, the governor’s office said.

Although federally licensed firearms dealers must conduct background checks before selling a firearm, private vendors face no such requirement, giving criminals what McAuliffe’s office calls “an easy avenue” to buy guns at gun shows.

In a separate provision, McAuliffe would give Virginia State Police the authority to process voluntary background check requests when submitted to them by private vendors. In his budget address Wednesday, he will set aside $100,000 to pay for state police to attend the shows.

He would also prohibit gun shows from advertising their exclusion from the background check law in hope of discouraging criminals from buying guns this way.

“These are responsible policies that will benefit Virginia’s neighborhoods and families and will create safer environments for our law enforcement officials,” Brian Moran, McAuliffe’s secretary of public safety, said in the statement. “By implementing these common-sense measures, Virginia can lead the way on curbing gun violence and can prevent dangerous individuals from illegally obtaining firearms.”

#828185 - 12/14/14 11:31 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
mcawful was backed by the clintons and bloomberg ... knew he would try for this crap

#828235 - 12/14/14 01:35 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
_WD_ Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Tidewater
City or County: Gloucester
I'm not supprised.

#828405 - 12/14/14 08:31 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: _WD_]
Fenton1 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
City or County: Lynchburg
Crappy thing is he doesn't care what we think or want. He dose not care about right or wrong. He can't run for Govener again. Let's be as vocal as possible with our state house and senate members. Tell them they lose their jobs for attacking the 2 nd amendment or any other right protected ( not granted ) by the constitution.

I won't be in state for lobby day but will write, email, and call.

#828466 - 12/14/14 11:08 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
RJ32 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax county
Thanks for the heads up on this, VGTrader. I hadn't heard about this. I'm not surprised by it though just sad to see it.

#828467 - 12/14/14 11:09 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
RJ32 Offline
Double barrel

City or County: Fairfax county
Thanks for the heads up on this, VGTrader. I hadn't heard about this. I'm not surprised by it though just sad to see it. None of this will stop one crime.

#828469 - 12/14/14 11:15 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
IQHIGH01 Offline
Consultant

Loc: Chancellorsville
City or County: Fredericksburg
He was bought and delivered by Bloomberg to meddle in Virginia. A carpetbagger from NY who doesn't understand Virginia.

#828503 - 12/15/14 07:21 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: IQHIGH01]
Paratus Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Appomattox
Originally Posted By: IQHIGH01
He was bought and delivered by Bloomberg to meddle in Virginia. A carpetbagger from NY who doesn't understand Virginia.

Carpetbagger is an excellent description. I'm happy to see someone else here recognizes what this guy really is. Oh, I surmise that he was also brought here to facilitate Hillary to the WH.
Whenever I see the words, "common sense measures" I recognize them as code for deprivation of rights and freedoms. None of these will solve the problem of a reduction in violent crime the country has been seeing over the past years (yes- sarcasm). The Dem party works best when their servants (us) are in friction with each other. The friction allows the statists to continue with their shenanigans. Much like a magic trick the viewer is enjoined to look one place while the mischief is performed elsewhere. By politicizing the Sandy Hook thing the dirty Dems look to distract us, again I might add, by the emotion of the moment and entice us to relinquish our rights.
I will be contacting my state rep to advise him to oppose any statist measures by McAuliffe. I can't believe that this moron got elected here, much like I can't believe how Warner prevailed. Personally I believe the latter stole the election and would not be surprised if Fast Terry did the same. This, however, is another matter. The war begins folks. These vermin are keeping up the efforts to reduce our freedoms, see the proposal to remove CC from those behind on child support (the government creates the environment leading to a horrible job market then uses it to limit our freedoms-need I say more?). All those proposing this stuff say they are gun owners and supporters of 2A, they are liars. McAuliffe and the statists Dems care nothing for us or our freedoms. Oppose this any way we can.

#828513 - 12/15/14 07:50 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
gbellamy Offline
God, Family, Country and Guns

Loc: Roanoke, VA
City or County: Roanoke
This is not a Dem/Repub/Rhino/Progressive/Libertarian issue. It is a 2nd Amendment issue. This affects your individual right to defend yourself. I talk to everyone about this and always try to keep politics out of it. You will have better luck getting your friends who may not understand this issue because they vote party lines. Talk to them about just this. Stay away from labels. Get your gay friends, Union buddies and other people that would normally vote a party line against this issue to understand this is an INDIVIDUAL issue and affects all of us.

Which person do you think a Democrat VA representative is going to listen to? The Rabid guy who states he is a Conservative and didn't vote for him or the guy who tells him I voted for you but on this issue you are wrong. We need these people to be with us and stand with us on this issue.

Just my opinion. And oh by the way I am Libertarian and want them all run out of office.

#828535 - 12/15/14 08:54 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
scott9050 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: West Virginia
City or County: West Virginia
Imagine losing your job and falling behind on child support then losing your CCW permit.

Can you imagine losing 1st amendment rights or the right to vote for some of these actions? We knew McAuliffe was scum ahead of time, this just insures that his time here is very limited.

#828620 - 12/15/14 12:04 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
AeroKale Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Newport News
I wish these yahoos would focus on the state of the economy rather ad nauseam issues like this.

#828625 - 12/15/14 12:10 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: scott9050]
punchie Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Chesterfield
City or County: Chesterfield
BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER
Quote:
This is not a Dem/Repub/Rhino/Progressive/Libertarian issue. It is a 2nd Amendment issue. This affects your individual right to defend yourself. I talk to everyone about this and always try to keep politics out of it. You will have better luck getting your friends who may not understand this issue because they vote party lines. Talk to them about just this. Stay away from labels. Get your gay friends, Union buddies and other people that would normally vote a party line against this issue to understand this is an INDIVIDUAL issue and affects all of us.

Which person do you think a Democrat VA representative is going to listen to? The Rabid guy who states he is a Conservative and didn't vote for him or the guy who tells him I voted for you but on this issue you are wrong. We need these people to be with us and stand with us on this issue.

Just my opinion.

#828629 - 12/15/14 12:33 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: _WD_]
DevilDog0402 Offline
Jarhead

City or County: Stafford
Originally Posted By: _WD_
I'm not supprised.

Nope frown

#828631 - 12/15/14 12:56 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
highlandscot Offline
Does not suffer fools

Loc: New Kent
City or County: New Kent County
One thing you CAN do about it is show up at Lobby Day in great numbers. Last year we were a little skinny, though still far more than the antis. But a bigger turnout this year would certainly make your grievances known. So if this news concerns or worries you - SHOW UP AT LOBBY DAY!
FFL/SOT GCA & NFA - Transfers by appointment only

#828634 - 12/15/14 01:03 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
TheColtCollector Offline
Must love machineguns

Loc: Central Florida
City or County: Lakeland
When is lobby day? ill be there!

#828649 - 12/15/14 02:01 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: TheColtCollector]
highlandscot Offline
Does not suffer fools

January 19th - MLK Day is Lobby day every year in VA. There is a forum link about Lobby Day, and also see VCDL website - they coordinate a lot of Lobby Day pro-gun activities including a rally. Oh - and YES YOU CAN CARRY!

#828655 - 12/15/14 02:08 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
highlandscot Offline
Does not suffer fools

Here is the forum link to the topic:

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/824797/gonew/1#UNREAD

Should be a reminder banner going up soon as well, so it will be flashing in your face when you log in. This is really very important guys, and if you can make it - you should go.

#828667 - 12/15/14 02:39 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
The chance of getting this through the Legislature are close to Zero. Not only do Reps hold both houses, but non-Lib Dems aren't going to pick a fight over guns.

But, we need to make sure our Reps and Sens know how we feel. To find your Legislators go here:
http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/

After you put in your address you can use the drop down to email or call your Rep/Sen. If you haven't done it you should. This is retail politics and they count and respond to the contact that they get. I got to know our new US Rep Barbara Comstock to the point the that she rang my doorbell and knew who I was (trying to get my son an internship with her this summer). Babara Favola, my Sen, won't be stopping by for coffee... Just let them know that you are a person that many people to turn to talk about guns (or any other subject you want to cover) when legislation comes up and that it is very important to you.

Edited by Mark S (12/15/14 02:40 PM)

#828724 - 12/15/14 05:30 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Rogpog Offline
Grandpoobar

Loc: "The plains"
City or County: Fauqier county
You suck mcawful
The only way I can see value in our 'off work' time is to go back to work, punch the clock on your time off...actually get paid for the time you would otherwise allot to handloading...that would be a value...but, you prolly wouldn't shoot as much.

#828731 - 12/15/14 05:49 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: Mark S]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
Originally Posted By: Mark S
The chance of getting this through the Legislature are close to Zero. Not only do Reps hold both houses, but non-Lib Dems aren't going to pick a fight over guns.very true, BUT if we don't make some noise and let the law makers know we won't stand for this it just might happen. Lets not assume or take this for granted. Bloomberg is a billionaire who spent a few million getting McAuliffe in office, he showed the NRA!! Whos to say he wont spend $25000 to bus 5000 anti gunners to Lobby Day?? He'll show us then!!

But, we need to make sure our Reps and Sens know how we feel.YES!!! Contact your legislators and show up at Lobby Day!!! To find your Legislators go here:
http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/

After you put in your address you can use the drop down to email or call your Rep/Sen. If you haven't done it you should. This is retail politics and they count and respond to the contact that they get. I got to know our new US Rep Barbara Comstock to the point the that she rang my doorbell and knew who I was (trying to get my son an internship with her this summer). Babara Favola, my Sen, won't be stopping by for coffee... Just let them know that you are a person that many people to turn to talk about guns (or any other subject you want to cover) when legislation comes up and that it is very important to you.

Lets not get caught with our pants down. Keep the fight alive!!

#828856 - 12/15/14 08:52 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
highlandscot Offline
Does not suffer fools

For those who want to participate in Lobby Day but not drive, VCDL is offering reasonably priced round-trip buses from many locations. Here is the info:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

When making a reservation for a bus seat on January 19th, I forgot to ask you to also indicate at which locality (Fairfax, Roanoke, Virginia Beach, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, or Harrisonburg) you will be catching the bus.

So once again:

Here is the cities where there will be pickup/drop off points for the buses (approximate pickup/drop off times in parenthesis):

Charlottesville (6:15 AM / 4 PM)
Fairfax County (6 AM / 4 PM)
Harrisonburg (6 AM / 4:15 PM)
Lynchburg (5 AM/ 5:30 PM)
Roanoke (4 AM / 5:10 PM)
Virginia Beach (6 AM / 4 PM)

The exact location of each pickup/drop off point will be announced in a future update.

Each bus holds 55 passengers and we are taking reservations for seats now - first come, first serve.

The cost is $25 per seat for VCDL members and their party and $30 per seat for non-members and their party. We will also gratefully accept additional contributions to help defray the rest of the cost for the buses (which is actually around $32 per seat)..

To make your reservation, send an email to: bus@vcdl.org

Include the following information in the email:

1. The locality where you will be catching the bus

2. The number in your party

3. For each member of your party, include:

a. Their full name
b. Their email address (if they have one)
c. Their cell phone number (if none, then their home phone)

ONCE YOU HAVE GOTTEN A CONFIRMATION THAT YOUR SEATS ARE RESERVED, then you can pay for your seats by clicking here:

https://mobipledge.mobi/vcdl/webpledge/

(You can pay for all the seats with one payment and, again, you can donate more if you wish to help defray more of the cost for the buses.)

Just bring the receipt with you when boarding on January 19th.

#828864 - 12/15/14 09:08 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Togeneral98 Offline
Resident Gun Nut

Loc: Campbell County
City or County: Evington
I will be there.

I love how they instantly call every new form of gun control common sense. Here's some food for thought...when getting a divorce it is a common tactic of the woman's attorney to urge the wife to get a protective order if possible to help their case in court even if there is no real basis for it. Under this legislation you could have to not only fight false allegations but be forced into disarmament while doing so...

Real common sense eh?

#829011 - 12/16/14 09:09 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
DawgPoundx19 Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: VA Beach
Heard about this garbage, and I feared this when McAuliffe stole the election (thanks to the Democratic money sponsored Robert Sarvis who stole just enough of the votes).
What is particularly pathetic about this legislation is that is is not based on any sort of facts, its based on fear and misinformation.
We all know that every one of the dealers at a gun show goes thru the standard state police background checks, just as they do at a brick and mortar store. Yet there is a flawed belief by most that every gun in the place is cash and carry with no questions asked. It's bogus, plain and simple.
Add to that what is a gross over reach of government authority, by taking away CCW rights of individuals who are delinquent on child support (because self defense and child support have a cause and effect relationship), and the overly liberal use of a restraining order meaning confiscation of fire arms from an otherwise law abiding citizen. So someone with an anti-gun agenda, a scorned ex, etc., could file frivolous complaints and result in loss of legally owned fire arms. Very dangerous loop holes being opened.
These measures are the start of a little game called "just the tip" before the royal screwing begins. Everything is done slowly and deliberately until your rights are gone and you never even noticed. All under the guise of "safety".

Edited by DawgPoundx19 (12/16/14 09:11 AM)
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

#829098 - 12/16/14 11:33 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
tpak
Unregistered

The one thing that people seem to forget about any type of consumer protection law regardless of the product is:
YOU HAVE TO LEGISLATE BEHAVIOR , NOT OBJECTS...

There was an interview on Charlottesville Today with the lawyer who is suing Bushmaster. When he was told that gun ownership is a constitutional right and manufacturers cannot be held responsible if their products are used in an illegal manner. His response was "Constitutional Right, SO WHAT" !!

#829356 - 12/16/14 09:30 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: ]
Travis# Offline
Hillbilly with a gun

Loc: Hanover
City or County: Hanover
Originally Posted By: tpak
The one thing that people seem to forget about any type of consumer protection law regardless of the product is:
YOU HAVE TO LEGISLATE BEHAVIOR , NOT OBJECTS...

There was an interview on Charlottesville Today with the lawyer who is suing Bushmaster. When he was told that gun ownership is a constitutional right and manufacturers cannot be held responsible if their products are used in an illegal manner. His response was "Constitutional Right, SO WHAT" !!

These people have no respect for the constitution, from the White House down. And that is why we need to stand up for our constitution, and support it any way that we can.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >