Who's Online
12 registered (ELTray1997, DamonL, Jackpot2108, bobbypa1, ceh92, Hemiphant_arms, Bravo6, MetroBluing, 4 invisible), 16 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#960876 - 10/21/15 01:48 AM Crimped/ bent spent casings.
Hutch223 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: VA
City or County: Manassas
During my last range trip I noticed the spent steel casings (wolf military classic 124 gr jhp) were bent in a D shape. My npap M70 functions flawlessly and I have never had any issues. Is this a serious issue or just something aks do? Any advice or info is greatly appreciated as I am still a new ak owner.

Thanks

Edited by Hutch223 (10/21/15 01:49 AM)

#961006 - 10/21/15 12:37 PM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Hutch223]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

City or County: Stafford
It's hard to picture the "D" shape you mention without an actual pic. Have you tried other ammo and mags to see if you get the same results? I sometimes get damaged cases (dents around the case mouth and occasional dings the case body near the shoulder) in my Ak when using steel cased tula ammo and it causes no problems. Aks can be a bit rough on cases during feed and ejection. On a more rare occasion, I will get a crushed case mouth as I believe the case has not cleared the ejection port completely before the bolt makes it forward movement. This tends to happen with what feels like an undercharged round.

#961697 - 10/23/15 09:56 AM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Hutch223]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192
It takes a lot more force to bend a steel case vs brass. Something is not 100% with your AK. Post pictures of the cases. Try other types of ammo. It maybe this lot is loaded too light or too hot and affecting the timing.

As a rifle is used, wear marks begin to show and the moving parts will begin to polish the friction surfaces. AK's are not well finished from the factory.

You can basic field strip and inspect the parts. Look for shiny areas, places where the blued or machining marks are disturbed. File, light sand, square up those surfaces.

1st thing I do with any new gun before firing is over oil and cycle the action by hand. Clean and inspect. Something to do while watching tv.

#963491 - 10/28/15 06:52 AM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Hutch223]
Hutch223 Offline
Bolt action

City or County: Manassas
I will try using differnt ammo (steel and brass). Should I take it to a gunsmith or monitor this over time?

Thanks guys

#963526 - 10/28/15 08:50 AM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Hutch223]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

City or County: Stafford
I would try different ammo and mags first. Try to post pics of the damaged casings.

#977261 - 12/03/15 10:42 AM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Hutch223]
fantasm Offline
Double barrel

Loc: va
City or County: Newport News
maybe their being ejected and bouncing off of the charging handle.

#996858 - 01/22/16 11:14 AM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Hutch223]
Bianchi Offline
Marksman

Loc: southwest Virginia
City or County: roanoke
It's pretty common and usually is not a function issue; MY MAK 90, Sar 1, Sar 2, Yugo MB, Wasr 10, all left a relief ding in the brass. IF YOU want to reload you can minimize case dinging by a couple pieces of Gorilla (or any quality thick mil) duct tape on the edge of the dust cover right behind where the bolt handle reciprocates.

The pattern may vary from rifle to rifle due to gas port effificy and/or extractor tension; try smearing some dollar store lipstick, touch-up paint or similiar along edge of portside and fire a couple rds. and see where the ejected case is smacking... Tape accordingly, (black looks best)- After 1000ds. of rds. you MAY see some minute dust cover edge peening but it is barely noticable and will wear to a point and stop. (Kind of like 2 pin Glock slides at locking block juncture)

#997418 - 01/23/16 07:27 PM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Bianchi]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192
I don't agree what he is describing is normal at all. He even states his other ak does not damage the brass like the newer one does.

Dinged case mouths and bent cases yes.

No to completely bent bodies.

Originally Posted By: Bianchi
It's pretty common and usually is not a function issue; MY MAK 90, Sar 1, Sar 2, Yugo MB, Wasr 10, all left a relief ding in the brass. IF YOU want to reload you can minimize case dinging by a couple pieces of Gorilla (or any quality thick mil) duct tape on the edge of the dust cover right behind where the bolt handle reciprocates.

The pattern may vary from rifle to rifle due to gas port effificy and/or extractor tension; try smearing some dollar store lipstick, touch-up paint or similiar along edge of portside and fire a couple rds. and see where the ejected case is smacking... Tape accordingly, (black looks best)- After 1000ds. of rds. you MAY see some minute dust cover edge peening but it is barely noticable and will wear to a point and stop. (Kind of like 2 pin Glock slides at locking block juncture)

#1000077 - 01/30/16 11:07 PM Re: Crimped/ bent spent casings. [Re: Hutch223]
Bianchi Offline
Marksman

Loc: southwest Virginia
City or County: roanoke
Sometimes an AK (surplus builds) or Franken guns get assembled with weak recoil springs----If at all possible, try swapping recoil spring with one of a known-lower round count and see if the cycling beats the brass less.-----*** Also Fantasm had a good suggestion to see if the brass is getting beat by the charging handle (plasti-dip works here, I did this to a Norinco that beat the H E double hockey sticks out of brass)

AK's are at times,built with a war-like, shop conscribe to be "within spec" or in other words, if it feeds and spits out empties-good to go...