Who's Online
6 registered (Actkk_98, CanAm570, Shooterguy, SSGWilson, architect, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#2032041 - 07/29/23 08:28 AM Moving Firearms: Best Way??
hivoltagefx4 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Fairfax, Va. Home of the NRA
City or County: Fairfax
Hello all,

We are looking into possibly moving from Va to Idaho and this got me thinking? What is the best way to move firearms? I have close to 55 handguns ad rifles. I'm going crazy trying to figure out the best way to do this when the time comes.

Open to ideas and the legalities of doing this. Part of me feels uneasy transporting them in a U-Haul and leaving them in there as we stop throughout the trip to spend a night in "said state"

Anyway, if you were in this situation, what would you do??

Thanks all!!

#2032185 - 07/29/23 02:51 PM Re: Moving Firearms: Best Way?? [Re: hivoltagefx4]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
This may sound kinda off the wall but if you have a safe, load it onto the uhaul then load the safe with the guns. Get some thick foam padding to line the inside of the safe to keep the guns from moving around.

#2032344 - 07/30/23 07:38 AM Re: Moving Firearms: Best Way?? [Re: Va Hunter]
hivoltagefx4 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Fairfax, Va. Home of the NRA
City or County: Fairfax
I have a safe, but its about 1000 lbs. I was thinking about it conveying with the house and buying another one once I'm out West.

I don't think the handguns will be an issue, it's all my rifles that I worry about!

#2032397 - 07/30/23 11:02 AM Re: Moving Firearms: Best Way?? [Re: hivoltagefx4]
JustOneMore754 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Haymarket
City or County: Prince William
Personally I'd put them in some variety of plastic tote, like the black and yellow ones from home depot with whatever you see as appropriate padding (https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-Gal-T...INE-4/205597365). You can either buy the giant totes or break the larger guns down use the smaller totes. I'd actually use these over boxes for anything that will end up in your garage or basement.

When you are loading the truck put whatever you have the guns in first so that anyone digging through your stuff in a motel parking lot has to go through a whole house of stuff to get to something valuable. Storing in nondescript boxes will remove any incentive to dig past the furniture, dishes and clothes should someone actually pop the lock on the rear door while you're sleeping. If for some reason they jack the whole truck storing them in your safe isn't going to help, they'll just cut it open at a secondary location.

All that said, unless I've missed something, Uhaul trucks aren't a big target for thieves since most of what people move doesn't have a whole lot of resale value. Put a lock on the roll up door, stay in a decent hotel, park in view of a camera and you'll likely be just fine.

As for legality, federal transport laws give you a lot of air cover at this time. As long as the guns are not loaded or in the passenger compartment of the vehicle you're generally safe from prosecution. Since they actually give legal advice, USCCA's take is here (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/traveling-with-firearms/private-vehicles/) most other sources come to the same conclusion. If you are concealed carrying during the trip you should get a Utah non-resident CCW permit. That has the most reciprocity with other states as far as I am aware. The $150-ish bucks between the class and the permit itself buys a lot of peace of mind when traveling.

I can always be tempted by:
- SPAS-12 with a folding stock
- Shooter grade Luger
- Schofield reproduction
- S&W 586 with a 4” barrel

#2032433 - 07/30/23 12:23 PM Re: Moving Firearms: Best Way?? [Re: hivoltagefx4]
The Truth Offline
The iguana is on the rock

Loc: Henrico
City or County: Henrico
Just open carry them all

wink