Who's Online
2 registered (Ccurtis8891, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1717196 - 01/21/21 09:29 AM Gaslighting- How America is being tricked.
P3Bill Offline
VETERAN PEASHOOTER

Loc: Wilderness
City or County: Orange County
WHAT IS GASLIGHTING? The term originates in the systematic psychological manipulation of a victim by her husband in Patrick Hamilton’s 1938 stage play Gas Light, and the film adaptations released in 1940 and 1944.

In the story, the husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane by manipulating small elements of their environment and insisting that she is mistaken, remembering things incorrectly, or delusional when she points out these changes. The play's title alludes to how the abusive husband slowly dims the gas lights in their home, while pretending nothing has changed, in an effort to make his wife doubt her own perceptions. The wife repeatedly asks her husband to confirm her perceptions about the dimming lights, but in defiance of reality, he keeps insisting that the lights are the same and instead it is she who is going insane.

Today, we are living in a perpetual state of gaslighting. The reality that what we are being told by the media is at complete odds with what we are seeing with our own two eyes. And when we question the false reality that we are being presented, or we claim that what we see is that actual reality, we are vilified as racist or bigots or just plain crazy. You’re not racist. You’re not crazy. You’re being gaslighted.

#1717334 - 01/21/21 03:43 PM Re: Gaslighting- How America is being tricked. [Re: P3Bill]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
Richard Pryor said it best when he asked, "Who you gonna believe, me or your ole lyin eyes?"

#1717758 - 01/22/21 05:04 PM Re: Gaslighting- How America is being tricked. [Re: P3Bill]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
Originally Posted By: P3Bill
WHAT IS GASLIGHTING? The term originates in the systematic psychological manipulation of a victim by her husband in Patrick Hamilton’s 1938 stage play Gas Light, and the film adaptations released in 1940 and 1944.

In the story, the husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane by manipulating small elements of their environment and insisting that she is mistaken, remembering things incorrectly, or delusional when she points out these changes. The play's title alludes to how the abusive husband slowly dims the gas lights in their home, while pretending nothing has changed, in an effort to make his wife doubt her own perceptions. The wife repeatedly asks her husband to confirm her perceptions about the dimming lights, but in defiance of reality, he keeps insisting that the lights are the same and instead it is she who is going insane.

Today, we are living in a perpetual state of gaslighting. The reality that what we are being told by the media is at complete odds with what we are seeing with our own two eyes. And when we question the false reality that we are being presented, or we claim that what we see is that actual reality, we are vilified as racist or bigots or just plain crazy. You’re not racist. You’re not crazy. You’re being gaslighted.

This is a spectacular analogy which I will use in future conversations. Thank you.

#1719318 - 01/26/21 08:05 AM Re: Gaslighting- How America is being tricked. [Re: P3Bill]
Rogpog Offline
Grandpoobar

Loc: "The plains"
City or County: Fauqier county
Amen
The only way I can see value in our 'off work' time is to go back to work, punch the clock on your time off...actually get paid for the time you would otherwise allot to handloading...that would be a value...but, you prolly wouldn't shoot as much.