Who's Online
14 registered (Com 45acp, Pfl13, jjx, PMOORE, harley, Tundradude, Waterspreader20, Dave inVA, Dwilson05, 5 invisible), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1335037 - 03/26/18 12:56 AM Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018
HMMH Offline
Marksman

Loc: West Richmond Area
City or County: West Richmond Area
Greetings

I attended a live comedy show at the Richmond Coliseum on March 25th 2018. I did a little research prior to attending in order to determine if lawful concealed carry would be allowed.

This is the link to the old post that led me to believe lawful concealed carry could not be prohibited. (Unless it was a school function which this was not)
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/seco...-ban-fixed.html

Here's what happened:

We already had our tickets. We waited in line to get in the door. While waiting in line, there was a loudspeaker announcing what items are prohibited which included "illegal weapons" (lawful concealed carry does not fall under "illegal weapons"). We get to the door. They have walk through metal detectors. Empty your pockets. I had all of the contents of my pockets in my hands and I alerted the staff member that I was lawfully concealed carrying at 3 o'clock. She immediately requested a supervisor and a law enforcement officer. She was very discreet and professional. The law enforcement officer arrived in about 60 seconds and was courteous and professional.

At first, he asked me if he could see my (inaudible). It was loud. I didn't Hear exactly what he said, so I pulled out my concealed carry permit. He looked at it, and then clearly indicated that he was asking me for my "badge" - I informed him immediately that I was not a law enforcement officer. He told me that unless I was working undercover or off duty, I would not be allowed access with a firearm.

I politely told him it was my understanding that the Coliseum was owned by the city of Richmond and lawful concealed carry could not be prohibited. He told me that the event management/production company who was putting on the show had installed the walk through metal detectors, *and they had made the decision not to allow firearms* (except for Undercover or off duty Leo's)

He said I could go leave it in my car and they would let me in without it. At this point I realized that it wouldn't help me or my situation to try to argue with him or the staff member because they were playing it as if the decision was made by the event management.

I locked the gun in a trunk and they let us in when we came back. We did not have to wait in line twice.

A little disappointed. Would love to hear some feedback from former members or vcdl members.

Wish PVC was on site.

-Hmmh

#1335685 - 03/27/18 06:34 PM Re: Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018 [Re: HMMH]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1336861 - 03/31/18 08:20 AM Re: Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018 [Re: Agent19]
HMMH Offline
Marksman

Thanks agent19,
I sent them a message at the original time of this post but never heard anything back. Oh well

#1337417 - 04/01/18 09:04 PM Re: Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018 [Re: HMMH]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

City or County: 22973
Well, give them time. I suspect being close to a holiday many my have little free time.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1339105 - 04/06/18 11:00 AM Re: Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018 [Re: HMMH]
703_gunner Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Fairfax Co.
I'm interested in the outcome of this as well. Keep us posted!

#1339132 - 04/06/18 01:09 PM Re: Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018 [Re: HMMH]
CNNisASS Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Lynchburg
I'm not a lawyer but to my knowledge if it was a private event it does not matter if you are allowed to carry on the property or not (government owned, etc.) - the private event manager/owner/founder/organizer can make their own rules. They could even make their own rules to include you wearing pink underwear and no other color. I'm sure it was a private event with access by ticket.

The 2nd amendment is a restriction (or should be for that matter) on the government and not private entities.

I wish the case were different but to my knowledge the event organizers had the right to make that rule.

#1339196 - 04/06/18 03:07 PM Re: Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018 [Re: HMMH]
sousana Offline
Golani Sheli

Loc: Hampton Roads, Peninsula
City or County: Hampton
No different than a private business posting a no firearms sign at the door. If the vendor, who leased the space from the city chose to not allow weapons, then weapons are not allowed.
6 civilians
2 suicide bombers
To all, never forgotten, to all the HM's I went to "A/C" school with, Semper Fi" Fair winds & following seas
Total: 307

#1351493 - 05/10/18 09:43 PM Re: Denied access due to lawful concealed carry at Richmond Coliseum March 25th 2018 [Re: CNNisASS]
HMMH Offline
Marksman

CNNisASS
I believe this is correct. Never heard back from vcdl.
Thank you for the response