Who's Online
5 registered (jmv7580, loomey4320, Matt69, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#672411 - 02/04/14 07:08 PM Outdoor ranges in NoVA
jamesbondmcm Offline
Marksman

Loc: Ashburn
City or County: Loudoun
Does anyone know of a place to shoot outdoors within driving distance of Loudoun?
I just got a suppressor and it doesn't make much sense to shoot inside with 30 other people firing at the same time. I'd also like to take people new to firearms out now and then, and indoor ranges are a bad choice there, too (unless I never want them to shoot again).

I was spoiled by the Jefferson NF range. Simple, uncrowded, donation-based.
I know of CF Phelps and Clark Bros. CF Phelps doesn't allow pistols and isn't open most of the year. I've only ever driven by Clark Bros., and it looks packed every time. Not what I'm looking for, but maybe it's not too bad once you're in there?

Also considering an membership at Izaak Walton or 340 in WV. Maybe someone has land they'd charge me to use every couple months? Not sure I shoot enough to join a gun club.

Appreciate any responses, thanks!

#672559 - 02/04/14 10:01 PM Re: Outdoor ranges in NoVA [Re: jamesbondmcm]
Quinn74 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Middleburg/Richmond, VA
City or County: Middleburg/Richmond
340 defense in wv

#672571 - 02/04/14 10:20 PM Re: Outdoor ranges in NoVA [Re: Quinn74]
jamesbondmcm Offline
Marksman

Thanks, I've been reading good things about them.
See you're from Blacksburg, too, so you're familiar with the Jefferson range I mentioned!

#673138 - 02/05/14 09:52 PM Re: Outdoor ranges in NoVA [Re: jamesbondmcm]
Quinn74 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Middleburg/Richmond, VA
City or County: Middleburg/Richmond
Yeah, it's hit or miss. I have gone and had very different experiences each time. First time was packed with undergrads (right at the start of school) and was flagged by the guy teaching his friends how to shoot their hipoint a couple times, decided to leave rather than make a scene. Other times it has been perfect, even when relatively crowded. Last time i went I was all alone and loved it. Down side here is not steel targets and that is what I prefer to shoot.

340 lets you shot whatever you want, so long as you hit the bearn. Also, you can shoot f/a or suppressed, which is a big plus.

#674046 - 02/07/14 02:27 PM Re: Outdoor ranges in NoVA [Re: jamesbondmcm]
68Whiskey Offline
What's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss?

Loc: Leesburg
Originally Posted By: jamesbondmcm
... Maybe someone has land they'd charge me to use every couple months?

I'd love to know this too, I'd absolutely contribute. It sucks having to drive 45+ minutes just to shoot a .22 outdoors.

I'd avoid Clarks Brothers at all costs. You have to use their ammo, which is badly overpriced and typically lacking in selection. It's also packed pretty often, and not always by the kind of people you want near you with firearms.

#674175 - 02/07/14 06:51 PM Re: Outdoor ranges in NoVA [Re: jamesbondmcm]
jamesbondmcm Offline
Marksman

Thanks for the heads up--I expected as much.
I know there are some gun clubs around here, but it's just not worth it if you're only shooting monthly or so.

As far as using people's land, I'm sure the concern is about liability if someone gets hurt. I'd like to think homeowners or umbrella insurance would cover that, though.

#674893 - 02/08/14 07:34 PM Re: Outdoor ranges in NoVA [Re: jamesbondmcm]
bahia_maduro Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Prince William
The Prince William IWL website says their outdoor range is closed, has anyone been there recently?

Edited by bahia_maduro (02/08/14 07:34 PM)