Just wanted to share my most recent NFA experience.

Type: Individual Paper Form 1 SBR

The good news I got paperwork back in just under 6 months. The bad news it was an "Error Letter". The ATF Official had a problem with Box's 3B & H. For those not familiar with the paperwork 3B is where you put your name and mailing address. Box H is for additional information i.e. where you say what you will engrave.

The issue: In 3B I put "Fist Middle Last"...In H I put "First Last ... Location". The ATF official had a issue with me not including my middle name. I thought this was strange because my other Form 1's never had a problem and I did not change my format of paperwork. With some google-foo I discovered that my "ATF Official" is actually a contractor. The good is still Forms are coming back faster but this person obviously was not as knowledgeable with the job.

Resolution: I called the NFA Branch using the proper channels being directed to my "Contractors" voice mail and left a message but continued to call throughout the day. It was getting late in the day and I had yet to receive a call back so I took a long shot and asked to speak with the person who has (by random apparently) approved a few of my items in the past. By chance they answered the phone, was polite, and very helpful. I was informed that the person I was currently talking to did not see a issue with my format of "First Middle Last" and "First Last....Location". She acknowledged issues with contractors and apologized. She said a supervisor would call me the next day and handle the situation. The strangest thing happened...the next morning at 8:05am a polite person called me and apologized for the issue and told me to write a brief note about the issue and put "attention to _____" on it and it would be handled. As instructed I changed nothing on the form and put a note in the envelope back in mail. Aprox 1 week later my approved stamp was in hand.

Anyone recently had "growing pains" with the NFA recently?

But once again...wait times under 6 months. Buy early and buy often.