Who's Online
21 registered (Andrew454, RedBeardOutlaw, Echo168, Handgunner00, tms6, flben, corb56, Mari11, kapon, jr45, ultra60, 50calforme, Bschleig, begemot, Trainman37, 6 invisible), 9 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1507373 - 06/26/19 11:03 AM Requirements for private range
Freedom1973 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Travel Virginia w/job
City or County: Fauquier
Good morning,
I've searched around looking for anything that applies to private shooting range on private property. I have recently moved to rural Fauquier County. I found the 100 yards distance from occupied buildings, basement ranges, inside dwellings. Nothing on requirements for backstops or anything else. Anyone have a direction to point me? I will be talking to the town about other issues but wanted to have my ducks in a row legally. Thank you in advance.

#1509634 - 07/02/19 07:32 PM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
Freedom1973 Offline
Double barrel

....?

#1509767 - 07/03/19 07:57 AM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1510024 - 07/03/19 10:45 PM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
v8unleashed Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: nova
City or County: nova
I don't know of anything other than the 100 yard requirement. And it doesn't apply if you get written consent. We have neighbors blasting off on at least a weekly basis, where I am.

#1510285 - 07/04/19 05:48 PM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

Loc: Rappahannock County
City or County: Rappahannock County
I live in Fauquier, the southern end. The county was once a place for freedom lovers (we even have a village called "The Free State") but as the progressives from the northeast have moved into our county the sherrifs office is receiving a lot more calls from neighbors about noise complaints. The deputy's are all cool and know you are free to shoot as long as you are doing so safely but it's annoying that someone calls them in the first place. The main rule to follow is that the bullet must be contained on your property; just because your house backs up to a wooded farm you cannot just set up targets and allow the bullets to travel one someone else's land, no matter how uninhabitabed it may be. Just build a good backstop and be respectful of the times you shoot. The deputy's could care less if you are shooting 20' from your back door into a berm as long as you are being safe.

#1510333 - 07/04/19 10:15 PM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
City or County: Orange
When I was looking at rural properties I noticed Fauquier's property taxes were crazy high compared to neighboring counties.

Heard of a couple cases recently in which Fauquier's sheriff dept. arrested a couple different people for firing guns to intimidate tresspasers - belive they were charged with brandishing.

#1510958 - 07/06/19 05:41 PM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: nvcdl]
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

Loc: Rappahannock County
City or County: Rappahannock County
Originally Posted By: nvcdl
When I was looking at rural properties I noticed Fauquier's property taxes were crazy high compared to neighboring counties.

Heard of a couple cases recently in which Fauquier's sheriff dept. arrested a couple different people for firing guns to intimidate tresspasers - belive they were charged with brandishing.

The taxes are extremely high. Mostly due to the fact it is a bed room community and their are few large businesses/ no industry. Its horse country, and most of the people from the northern end are staunchly anti growth. I am not familiar with the cases of people shooting to intimidate trespassers and subsequent arrest.

#1514960 - 07/16/19 09:50 PM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
Freedom1973 Offline
Double barrel

Thanks for the responses.
I have a 30 ft hillside for a backstop and will be building a serious bullet stop. I have suppressors and will be using them. I will be keeping everything on my property and trying to be courteous to my neighbors. The guy down the road shoots every weekend I just haven't located him yet to make friends.

#1515090 - 07/17/19 10:00 AM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Execprotect]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
City or County: Orange
Originally Posted By: Execprotect
Originally Posted By: nvcdl

The taxes are extremely high. Mostly due to the fact it is a bed room community and their are few large businesses/ no industry. Its horse country, and most of the people from the northern end are staunchly anti growth. I am not familiar with the cases of people shooting to intimidate trespassers and subsequent arrest.

Alleged Fanquier Brandishing Incidents

Edited by nvcdl (07/17/19 10:05 AM)

#1515296 - 07/17/19 07:35 PM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
Do not fire warning shots. I can't think of a place where that won't get you arrested.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1535271 - 09/08/19 04:45 AM Re: Requirements for private range [Re: Freedom1973]
the cwa Offline
MODERATLY MONITORING MODERATOR

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Prince George,23842
A few years ago I was given permission to hunt on a piece of undeveloped property in what is a neighborhood. All the properties are a minimum of 5 acres, so I called the local police and sheriff's dept to find out the legality of shooting. I was told that there are no specific laws regarding discharging a firearm in the county, they default to whatever the hunting regulations are, so that is what I followed.

I suggest calling the police and/or sheriff's dept for your county.

After that, it falls to common sense safety practices and being willing to deal with complaints from neighbors, if there are any.

If you were a hotdog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

HEY, we all know that the moon is not made of green cheese. but what if it was made of barbecue spare ribs, would you eat it then?