Who's Online
22 registered (SlickStang, bbpepper, 71mavman, USMA_1982, CanAm570, kjack, Bkenney, nickjlvirginia, kchisholm1960, scott1989, JBecker, Mdo1986, Kevinlee93, EdwardZ, Gun1, 13D_B3S, 6 invisible), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1693461 - 11/16/20 10:08 AM Question regarding private sales of C&R firearms
chuckyzfr1 Offline
Bullseye

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond City
Hey all,

I’ve got a few C&R firearms that I’m interested in selling, and another member sent me a pm with a link to the code regarding 7/1/20 law requiring background checks and suggesting I review it, because in his estimation there was a carve out in the requirements for background checks with regard to C&R firearms. I read it closely, and it does appear to my understanding to exclude C&R, but I am not an attorney and don’t want to get ensnared by some legalese wording that I am not fully understanding because of my lack of any formal educational background in the law. Any lawyers on here that have read this and concur with my layman’s understanding of this? Thanks!

Chuck

#1693582 - 11/16/20 05:55 PM Re: Question regarding private sales of C&R firearms [Re: chuckyzfr1]
MP3Mogul Offline
VAGT Staff

Loc: Salem, Virginia
City or County: Salem
I am "certainly" not a lawyer either, but I read that earlier, and reread it after your post, and I too read it to exclude C&R.... hopefully some others with brilliant minds will chime in.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
Chesty Puller

#1694007 - 11/17/20 10:28 PM Re: Question regarding private sales of C&R firearms [Re: chuckyzfr1]
DrMark Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Yorktown
This topic would be a great one for added knowledge.

Anyone?

#1694017 - 11/18/20 01:38 AM Re: Question regarding private sales of C&R firearms [Re: chuckyzfr1]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Loc: Fredericksburg
City or County: Fredericksburg
It does exclude C&R. I checked with two FFLs. In addition, gifting is exempted. The part that I can’t find but read before is trading, CHP, 18-20 years of age exceptions. Of course, 98% of gun owners wouldn’t know these laws or the hundreds of others on the book such as the city of Richmond is almost entirely gun-free zone if all new laws are enforced.